Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Breech Face erosion already

PaulW

Got Juice, Are you shooting minor PF when using the SRP ?

I have some small magnum primers I was going to use with minor PF . Are the magnum the same as rifle primers ?

Sending back is a good idea. Especialy since you only used the SRP with the major PF.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IDK....just got the 1050 and it was setup like that. After speaking to Chuck at SC I think I will disable that feature tonight.

I use the swagger for the primer pockets but I only have it set to go about have way in the primer pocket, no swagging. I do this so I know if the primer was removed in the resizeing stage.

Someimes the primer sticks to the punch and it pulls it back into the pocket. You will fell this at the swagging station so you can remove the brass before you try cramming a new primer in on the

old primer.

Got Juice, Are you shooting minor PF when using the SRP ?

I have in the past. A person could make a cogent argument for the crack and chip out of the firing pin hole w/minor pf and small rifle IF the primer was not well seated (ie flush or proud) and that would explain that damage.

However, the breech face erosion is inconsistant, and NOT a function of the primer used regardless of PF.

There are 2 separate issues with that slide in my opinion.

Edited by Got Juice?

I feel your pain....I had a breech face that looked like I took a mini-plasma cutter to it. I determined it was the small rifle primers combined with some loose primer pockets. I was using 8.1grn of 3N37 with a 121 grn MG..range brass.. and Fiocchi SRP. I can tell you this was a bad combination for me...real bad.

Now I only use Win SPP...I try to use once fired brass...but when reloading (Dillion 550) if the primer "goes in too easy"...that gets put into the general use bin for Subgun/Carbine use. Anyway I use 7.1 Autocomp now with SPP and the same 121grn MG..no more problems. Thats my experience anyway.

I think we should be looking at the back side of the spent brass. In the last obamantion I used what I could get small pistol magnums with minor loads and no issues, both magtech and win, with a fast powder. You didn't say how much of which powder you were running or the OAL. I know in 38SC I got off of TruBlue when I hit 8.3gr because of primer flow with CCI small pistol primers. Others run 8.6 and don't have any issues. It could be YMMV. Judging by the picture you were about ready to get the stuck firing pin.

Edited by CocoBolo

For major I tried a handful of a buddies n350, I believe it was like 8.8gr with a 115 gr JHP. My major load was 8.1 of Autocomp with a 115 gr JHP. Minor I tried two loads, first was 6 gr of Autocomp, which chrono'd at 126 pf. The other was 5 gr of Clays the chrono'd at 140 pf, both minor loads were also 115 gr bullets. All were 1.235 OAL.

Winchester small pistol and small pistol magnum primers use the exact same cup. Federal small pistol and small pistol magnums use the same cup. CCI small pistol and small pistol magnum DO NOT use the same cup. CCI small pistol magnum primers use the small rifle cup.

My guess is the Tula primers, I have never used them, but have heard they are hard...and bad metal on the breach face. I have shot around 10,000 rounds through my 38s Trubor using Win small pistol magnum primers, and using brass that I know has been reloads at least 8-10 times, and the breach face is still as smooth as glass.

For major I tried a handful of a buddies n350, I believe it was like 8.8gr with a 115 gr JHP. My major load was 8.1 of Autocomp with a 115 gr JHP. Minor I tried two loads, first was 6 gr of Autocomp, which chrono'd at 126 pf. The other was 5 gr of Clays the chrono'd at 140 pf, both minor loads were also 115 gr bullets. All were 1.235 OAL.

Paul N350 is probably fine, auto comp builds a bit more pressure but 115gr those are probably alright. I use 124/5gr so I don't have accurate figures handy for 115gr, and that 1.235 is the Benny Hill blessed OAL. 6gr AC in minor is right in there, 5gr of clays worries me a bit, but then I never tried it in 38SC, that would probably blow a 9 mm case up. I converted everthing to 9 major a couple years ago. One of these days I'll slip one of the super barrels and comps back in and see if I am missing anything.

As much as I hate to admit it I'm going to agree with Grumpy One, just this one time. LMAO, he likes a good fight but not getting it this time, and that will make him more grumpy. Only the spent cases know the true story.

Edited by CocoBolo

When I first was trying the major loads I kept a close eye on the primers. Nothing jumped out at me. The major loads I used only the Winchester small magnum, the minor loads is where I used the Tula small magnum primers. Not knowing much about those primers I'm guessing you guys might just be right.

So my plan is when I get the Trubor back is to use only new brass and Winchester primers for at least the first thousand rounds. Then slowly work in some used brass. Not sure I will shoot any steel loads without finding some small pistol primers first. Kinda gun shy now.

Paul N350 is probably fine, auto comp builds a bit more pressure but 115gr those are probably alright. I use 124/5gr so I don't have accurate figures handy for 115gr, and that 1.235 is the Benny Hill blessed OAL. 6gr AC in minor is right in there, 5gr of clays worries me a bit, but then I never tried it in 38SC, that would probably blow a 9 mm case up. I converted everthing to 9 major a couple years ago. One of these days I'll slip one of the super barrels and comps back in and see if I am missing anything.

As much as I hate to admit it I'm going to agree with Grumpy One, just this one time. LMAO, he likes a good fight but not getting it this time, and that will make him more grumpy. Only the spent cases know the true story.

Coco, you know I only like a good fight with you. One of these days, you might actually win one too!

Back in my supercomp days i used every piece of brass as long as possible. People told me to just crush the primer even if it felt loose going in ( 650 users only ) . The result was the same breechface pitting you see here . Now i just junk the brass if i don't feel decent pressure when seating . Problem solved ( 9 major btw )

I have stoned a previous breechface clean to try to fix this , it's doable with a barrel change as long as you don't have to take too much off . I had to handpick shorter extractors to fit the new dimensions .

Edited by ong45

I load on a 1050 and can't feel what the primer pocket feels like at all, so much leverage on the 1050. Sucks because I have a 5 gallon bucket full of super brass that I am now worried about using.

Do you guys think hard chroming a gun would help with this?

Mr. W, If you decide to sell off that nasty ol’ bucket-o-brass I’d be interested. ;) I load on an old 550 and can feel the primer seating (or not) pretty well.

I see in your avatar you wear the elite RDST (Red Dot Shooting Team) shirt. Maybe you could ask the RDST team gunsmith about this (DP), he is known to be pretty good at fixing stuff and has made a gun or two. Hear he is pretty good at supporting his fellow team members. :D

So I took my old open gun out, cracked slide, etoded breech face, old dog gun and shot some of the same minor loads as last Sunday. The 6.0 of Autocomp with a 115 that chrono'd at 126pf was definately not sealing the case against the chamber as the whole side of the case was just black. The clays load at 140pf I bumped up a tad and it looked much better. Not sure about these Tula smp primers though