Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Handguns are bad B.S. line

gumshoe

I was working out happily today at the gym when I see a local female skeet champion. I wave and she walks over. We chat for a moment and I tell her I am getting my new 357/44 ready for the handgun-hunting season. She turns up her nose and says "We don't have handguns in our home, you know statistics prove that if you have a handgun in your home, you are more likely to get killed with it."

I was so absolutely floored; I did not know exactly what to say. I simply told her that there is no statistic that proves her theory, and went back to my work out.

It is bad enough that the Handgun Control cool aide drinkers tell us handguns are bad, but what the FORK, a skeet shooter talking that nonsense

I guess she thinks that 12 O/U won't kill you as bad :angry::wacko::angry::wacko::huh:

That's one of the most tired lies that the anti-gun right crowd has been parroting for years!

It has roots in a highly flawed "study" conducted on one little town outside of Cleveland that has a lot of gang and drug activity. The definition of the study included anyone who was an acquaintance of the home owner/renter as a member of the household, which in this case included mortal enemies. The numerous flaws in the "study" were only exceeded by the errors and stupidity in the pseudo-statistical analysis thereafter.

I don't know if it's still there, but the NRA web site used to have a pretty good article debunking the urban myth, including the title and author of the original article from which the lies originated.

I consider this a prevalent problem - one made worse by the like of Monsignor Kerry trying to drive a wedge between "good gun owners" (shot gun hunters like him & most gun owners left in the UK) and "bad gun owners" like everyone on this board, handgun owners, CCW proponents, service rifle competitors, reloaders, collectors, gun show attendees/promoters, firearms retailers, range owners, etc. As firearm owners, we should not stand for this.

How to address the issue? One thought I had was to get NSSF or NRA to sponsor "demonstration" events at large shotgunning competitions (everything involving clay targets) where a few action shooting competitors would let shotgunners try out the latest handguns, competition guns included. I do not care if its NRA Action pistol gear, USPSA, IDPA or Cowboy - just something to get an "evil handgun" into the hands of our fellow shooters (who happen to choose shotgunning).

What difference is there between a shotgun and a handgun that would make it more likely that a handgun in the home would be used against its owner than would a shotgun?

Despite any statistics and the flawed studies which produced them, what possible reason could there be?

Just because no one has done a study to prove she and her shotgun are evil, doesn't mean such a study couldn't be fabricated easily.

DogmaDog

Same crap. Different decade/century/millenium.

"If we let fill in the blank persecute fill in the blank, then we can evade persecution ourselves."

Amazingly, it never has worked, yet its popularity remains undiminished.

What difference is there between a shotgun and a handgun that would make it more likely that a handgun in the home would be used against its owner than would a shotgun?

Sigh...they probably think that a handgun, being shorter, is easier to hold and point to your head. And while you can do so with a shotgun and use your big toe to work the trigger, not all toes are small enough to fit inside the trigger guard. <_<

Aaahhhh, yes.

The odds that I will commit suicide went up dramatically when I bought my first handgun.

So much for statistics. I was really happy when I got my first handgun.

I just don't know where to begin when someone claims we should get rid of handguns in order to prevent suicide...anything to avoid having to address the root cause of the problem, I suppose.

DogmaDog

It's the same as most hunters that say you don't need an assault rifle for hunting. Rebuttal for that, say we don't need sniper rifles either. They will usually agree with you. Then ask if they can take at deer at 300 yards with their deer rifle. Answer is yes. Reply, "Oh you have a sniper rifle." That's the point where they get really defensive.

One of the first tenets of Gun-Nutdom is: "One can never have too many guns." :D

I found this out in the first thirty days after buying my first gun. I still don't have enough guns. I have a long wish-list. :P

I guess I'm one of those evil gun-nuts.

I did a scientific study last night to determine if my O/U 12ga is more or less evil than my Para is more or less evil than my FAL is more or less evil than my Mauser, etc.

I put them all on the bed on a plastic sheet, loaded, chamber empty, pointing to the wall. I then went ahead and yelled obscenities at them, their mothers and everybody they know, I threw them with gun-oil drenched 2x4 balls, etc....

And guess what. Not a single one of them turned on me, killed me, dropped a hammer on me...they didn't even move.

Conclusion: Guns are not evil or bad THEY ARE TOOLS!

What's the use. The people spreading these lies don't even have enough braincells to comprehend that.... <_<

That's a pet rant of mines against media and anti-gun people in general: they try to attribute life and will to lifeless things (objects) to be able to clear themselves whenever something wrong happens.

YOU are the one and only responsible for your actions!

If you go skiing out of the track, on fresh snow, in a warm sunny day, and cause a snowslide, that's not a killer mountain that's YOUR fault.

If you drive drunk, and cause an accident, that's not a killer car, that's YOUR fault.

If you pull the trigger, and whatever happens, the gun didn't point itself somewhere and fire by itself that's YOU that pulled the trigger.

Remember, to be guilty of a crime you have to have: 1) opportunity, 2) will (or motivation) and 3) tools.

A man can have all 3, a gun lacks #1 and #2.

But it's always too easy for some kind of people to find excuses for wrong or bad actions. :angry:

Criminy, it's about as stupid as suing Ford or Chevy because some punk idiot bought one of their cars then proceeded to go out driving drunk... and killed someone. :angry: DUUUUUUHHHHH!!!!

Picture a loaded gun sitting on a tabletop for 50 years. No one's going to get hurt in those 50 years unless some untrained idiot picks it up and dinks around with it.