Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911's for Limited-10

gmg

Are you wanting to shoot Single Stack or Limited-10? For SS, the gun with an unloaded magazine must fit in the USPSA box and weigh less than 43 ounces. For L-10 there is no box and for 2013 and beyond, restrictions to the gun are no optics, no compensators, magazine length at 170mm for a single stack, and 140mm for a double stack.

Edited by gino_aki

Are you wanting to shoot Single Stack or Limited-10? For SS, the gun with an unloaded magazine must fit in the USPSA box and weigh less than 43 ounces. For L-10 there is no box and for 2013 and beyond, restrictions to the gun are no optics, no compensators, magazine length at 170mm for a single stack, and 140mm for a double stack.

And .40 minimum for Major scoring. :)

Thanks guys. The box I was referring to was the USPSA box and I wasn't sure if the 10 round SS mag would be ok for Limited-10. It was just a thought and a different way to play the game.

L-10 with a single stack is a great way to go if you carry a 1911. Some epople feel the size of the magwell is a big disadvantage. If you practiced as much reloading a SS as people who shoot L-10 with a wide body gun do I am sure you would be just as fast.

I would highly recommend if you go this route to disable the slide lock notch on your 10rd mags. Especially if you run something like a Wilson mag. I've seen way to many 1911s with overinserted 10rd mags to ever consider it any other way.

Mike.

I would highly recommend if you go this route to disable the slide lock notch on your 10rd mags. Especially if you run something like a Wilson mag. I've seen way to many 1911s with overinserted 10rd mags to ever consider it any other way.

Mike.

My Wilson 10 rounders have a "step" on them that hits the bottom of the frame and prevents over insertion. L10 is a blast with a SingleStack. 10 rounds really changes the stages dramatically and if Major, you get all the points the Production guys leave with their A/CR calls.

L-10 with a single stack is a great way to go if you carry a 1911. Some epople feel the size of the magwell is a big disadvantage. If you practiced as much reloading a SS as people who shoot L-10 with a wide body gun do I am sure you would be just as fast.

I've used my 9mm single stack in SS and L10. The typical magwell on a 1911 is at a bit of a disadvantage for L10 that’s why I bought a Dawson I.C.E. magwell to use for L10, and it’s still supposed to be legal for SS better check the box though, so you won’t have to change mainspring housings back and forth. It makes reloads a lot faster and smoother, it’s still not as easy as a double stack but it gets you closer. If your using 10rnd 45 mags you won’t be able to get the “no-gap” insert because you need the base pad to be able to hit the frame.

Hope this helps and good luck.

My Wilson 10 rounders have a "step" on them that hits the bottom of the frame and prevents over insertion. L10 is a blast with a SingleStack. 10 rounds really changes the stages dramatically and if Major, you get all the points the Production guys leave with their A/CR calls.

Not to pick a fight... but Wilson 10rd'er are the ones I most often see overinserted.. that 'step' doesn't work as well as a basepad on a 8rd mag. Just commenting on what I've seen... multiple shooters, different 1911 brands, slide lock reload w/ a Wilson mag ... overinsertion.

Mike.

skip the wilson's and go right to Tripps.

Save yourself the time and money.

And spring for the aluminum basepads...have had my frontstrap get jammed between the lip of the plastic basepad and the mag body - Tripp 10 mm 10 rd mag.

My .02...

I never thought the Wilsons would over-insert either, but after one particularly swift, slightly flustered stage I found that had vigorously inserted 2 diff mags during the stage and broke the tabs off. Wilson was awesome enough to replace 'em for me, but if you get "excited" enough, you can over-insert them.

I remember back when I started in 1992, all we had were single stack pistols, 45 in 8rd mags & 38 super in 10rd mags and we all reloaded pretty fast without a big hole to stuff a mag in. I do perfer "Mc Cormick" 10 rounders and my old "Metalform" 8 rd mags with molded on "plastic" pads. shot my first match in 10 years last Oct. and those 8rd mags still work flawlessly.

Just thought I would throw in my 3 cents worth.

Edited by 45nut