Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Silver Color Brass from Precision Delta

TicoCafe

Hey Guys...New to reloading here.

I bought 2k pieces of 9mm once fired brass from Precision Delta and they showed up today.

My concern is that ALL the brass is a silver color... I will be using a Dillon 550B to reload 9mm... Is this brass OK to reload on my Dillon...? I just never seen silver color brass. Are they Nickel Plated? I attached a photo.

Cheers

Philip

post-45154-0-04948100-1358910945_thumb.j

Edited by TicoCafe

I would package it back up... and send it TO ME!! Just kidding, nickle loads great, spray a small amount of Dillon (or make your own) lube on it and its great brass.

Haha...

Do you spray the lube on the brass while its on the box and shake it around or do you do it individually as you are placing it on the Press?

I'm new to reloading so any insight on the Lube part is appreciated...

I have all my brass (that i'm loading that day) in a bin beside my Dillion. Just a couple of sprays in the bin, give it a few min to dry and start loading. You can also just pour the brass out in the box it came in, couple of sprays, shake it around couple more sprays and shake it around. For 2000rds that should be enough, if not just spray it again. You will be able to tell as your reloading if they are lube or not. A bottle of Dililon will last a long time. I made a gallon of lube, givin some away and the rest will out last me :'(

Nickel will run through your Dillon dies no sweat. The better if you use their case lube to prep. The only thing to remember is that nickel brass doesn't hold up under multiple firings and loadings quite the same as brass brass. Keep on eye out for brass showing through the nickel plating and when this shows up discard that casing.

I've never tried annealing nickel to revive it so I can't say that it would be a good thing or not. Honestly if you can afford to use once fired only 1 time and then leave it behind your probably better off.

Also I've found that nickel is more likely to raise a rim around the base of the bullet in the crimp stage. That wrinkle will cause it to not fit the case gauge or more importantly the chamber. Just take it easy with the crimp to avoid that problem. It should be enough that you can't push the bullet down into the case but not so much that you can't feel the case mouth around the bullet with your fingers.

Welcome to reloading btw. I actually enjoy it more than shooting..... almost :)

Hornady One Shot is my case lube of choice.

Is it applied the same way as the Dillon Lube...little spray here, little spray there and shake?

Yep, it's that easy. Then give it a min or two to dry.

Thanks...

Do you clean the lube off the finished round once you are done with alcohol and get any residue off or just leave as is?

Everyone always says that it doesn't "hold up" as well; but I've seen zero proof of this statement in any test of significant magnitude. I've reloaded them dozens and dozens of times with zero problems.

Well I'm glad to hear that, because I've got 2000 (-35 we shot off yesterday) nickel plated casings to load up! We've got some brass brass as well so we're good to go for a while now.

Steal one of the gallon zip-lock bags from your wife. Put in the 200-300 that you plan to load that day. Spray the One-Shot in the bag on the cases and also on the bag. Zip it and rotate to mix. Doesn't have to be a lot if using carbide dies. Let dry. No cleaning after. Makes reloading smoother and easier to feel when something goes wrong.