Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Patterning and chokes for 3 gun

ambluemax

Has anyone ever considered running a Poly choke or Tru-Glock Titan? They are adjustable chokes that you can switch on the fly.

Not sure about the safety aspect of twisting something at the end of your barrel with rounds in the gun. Possible self sweeping problem.

But the stages I have seen rarely would one need to switch chokes during the stage.

When I shot a round of 100 sporting clays, the guys I was grouped with told me that a study was done. That even with full cylinder, thre is a small central pattern of about 8 inches that never expands even out at 50 yds. The rest of the pellets will expand but not that 8 inch circle. So if you can thread the needle at 50 yds, technically it will still work.

I was talking with our state skeet champion (also past sporting clays) the other day. He recommended 1 oz for skeet. He said anything over 1 oz starts to produce deformed patterns because the shot hits the first forcing cone and compresses too much. Then again is compressed when it hits the choke. He has spent a lot of time at the pattern board. I usually shot 8 rounds of skeet and 1 round of 5 Stand/Sporting clays per month. I think the max distance in skeet is around 40 yards. So people are breaking little tiny birds about 4.5 inches in diameter with a skeet choke.

5 Stand is the only time I switch out my skeet choke for a tighter choke on the long distance shots BUT a much better shooter in our squad hits everything; near or far, with IC in his 1100.

At RM3 and SMM3G I ran IC/skeet for most part but I am just a beginner in 3G. I did run LM for the MGM Spinnner. It was a total waste for 3 shots. I moved it on the first hit with 6 shot.

For the most part I run 8-9 shot.

I have heard from more experienced 3Gun/Shotgun shooters that most people over choke their guns.

The 1 /8 oz dose not deform the shot and hurt the pattern by compressing . The real benefit to a 1 oz load is the deduced recoil over the 1 1/8 load and the extra shot really is not needed in the game of skeet. You will see everything from 1 1/8, 1oz and even 20 ga used for skeet in the 12 ga event. In that especially, the guys at the top tended to definitely lean toward the tighter chokes than the newer shooters. When I shot skeet and now on 3gun still go for the choke for smoke. My shoot off chokes for skeet were generally LM bottom and Mod for the top but I did have tighter I would put in as appropriate

Hello: I am new to the shotgun world but I am learning very quickly. You need to pattern your shotgun to see where it hits. My Remington Versa Max patterns differently than my Beretta 391 sport with a Mobil barrel. The bore diameter is different on each shotgun. The Remington needs a tighter choke for the same effect than the Beretta. As they say it is better to over choke than under. The Remington likes light modified and Improved Cylinder with 7 1/2 and 1 1/8 loads. Thanks, Eric

Once you get it shooting where you want you will learn more from targets than you will from a pattern board. Shoot them at different ranges with your loads to see your max range that you know 100 percent if you hit it right it will fall. The better your able to center the pattern the farther you can push it

Once you get it shooting where you want you will learn more from targets than you will from a pattern board. Shoot them at different ranges with your loads to see your max range that you know 100 percent if you hit it right it will fall. The better your able to center the pattern the farther you can push it

Or, the less of the pattern you need, the faster you can go. Centering patterns on shotguns equals one thing...SLOW.