Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In Celebration of the Sunset

diehli

• 3 weeks later...

I always try not to go sleeping without having manually done something like building or repairing things.

Be it repairing one of my son's toys, or tweaking my gear, or building something useful for the house...

...for some reasons, I feel most gratified if I'm able to do something like that each day: I definitely sleep better because I feel I haven't wasted my day.

(yes, I know the horizon isn't straight. Both me and it were washing up and down at the time)

But...but...at this lighting condition my cam defaults to very slow shutter speeds. How do you still get it to be this detailed? Fast shutter, higher ISO and meter on the brightest spot?

(yes, I know the horizon isn't straight.  Both me and it were washing up and down at the time)

But...but...at this lighting condition my cam defaults to very slow shutter speeds. How do you still get it to be this detailed? Fast shutter, higher ISO and meter on the brightest spot?

In my case I'm an enthusiastic amateur so the really good guys will tell you the proper "tricks".

I set my camera to manual. Then because you taking a landscape picture the setting you need to worry about least is the aperture because everything in the distance will be in focus anyway so set up the camera to give yourself a reasonable shutter speed. Blur in pictures like this is often camera movement rather than focus. Note that in shred's photograph the water close up is blurred but despite the effect of movement on shred and the camera the distance is sharp.

With these considerations in mind find the true readings for the light conditions then overide them by opening the aperture 1 f-stop to "burn" the image.

I've usually found that this works towards making a good picture.

However, in the end, one of the best pieces of advice I was ever given was to take lots of pictures of the same thing if it's important enough. Experiment with the settings as you go. I only show the one good shot and not the 10 disasters! I once took around 20 frames of a rock trying to capture a wave crashing over it because I couldn't predict the exact moment or wave effect. I got a couple of OK shots and one that I was really pleased with. I was in Sri Lanka on holiday and the cost of the film I used was a lot less than a return trip to try the shot again because I hadn't got it.

Another good sentiment from someone I Know:

"I've never regretted any picture I have taken, but I have regretted some pictures I haven't taken."

That shot was taken with an underwater camera (Sea&Sea MMIIex) as we were going on a night dive (sunset dives are great because big changes are going on underwater as the day-fish shift switches to the night-fish shift). Like most underwater cameras, it's manual. As in manual focus, manual exposure, manual aperture, but with priority modes and a light meter.

I don't remember the details, but I probably set it to the smallest F-stop I could and still have a reasonable shutter speed, and cranked the focus to infinity.

Shred

Whatever the details it's a great picture although the odd shaped rock in the foreground took a while to sink in. :rolleyes:

Think I should have fill-flashed them? :wacko:

I just re-read some of this and your "take lots of shots" advice is spot-on. I feel like I'm doing well to get 1 or 2 good shots per roll of film when I'm underwater.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...