Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Learning to weld

GuildSF4

Welding is a great skill that can be used you whole life, and made much easier if you have a mig welder. Its such a hassel to have to take the time to go and have someone fix something for you, especailly if you break a target on the weekends when everyone is closed.

looks like all you need is some 70 deg. weather :roflol:

I'll settle for 50, should have that in the next week or so.

Welding is a great skill that can be used you whole life, and made much easier if you have a mig welder. Its such a hassel to have to take the time to go and have someone fix something for you, especailly if you break a target on the weekends when everyone is closed.

Mig welder, love it.

You will find that welding is an addiction, much like shooting.

MIG's are great welders, and can do a lot of things.... But, they have their limitations. They don't work great for very thick or hard steel (unless they are the CNC type), and it sucks when you are in the middle of welding something and you run out of Argon gas.

Arc, to me, is a much more flexible platform, but they too have drawbacks.....takes a very good welder (person and machine) to weld thin metal with an arc.....

Have fun with your new addiction! Think I'll go out in the garage and weld something now....

Larger flux cored wires can be purchased to give the same type of performance you can get out of stick welding. Actually, certain mig alloys are quite comparable to most stick alloys and are pretty good for most applications really.

I weld on a regular basis for sculptors in my area. I love using the rems for targets all the time. I love to build 6" lollipop reactive targets. Small, and hard to hit. Good practice.

Great luck with your patent.

I've been looking for a good deal on a mig for the last few months. Used to weld all the time but then got out of the shop and into different clothes. These days it seems like every time I turn around I see another welding project around here. LOVE IT!!!

Check out toolking.com for good deals on refurbed Hobart welders. Also if you have Tractor Supply stores in your area, they often have good sales on Hobart stuff. I bought a 187 on sale ther 2 years ago and have enjoyed it ever since.

Great luck with your patent.

Thanks for the Great Luck.

These days it seems like every time I turn around I see another welding project around here. LOVE IT!!!

I've welded several falling plates, working on a couple of Poppers and a Star now.