Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training for field courses...

Ron Ankeny

I am deep into my fourth year shooting IPSC. When I came into the sport I thought IPSC was about speed shooting, you know, stuff like the classifiers. That notion was supported by the short courses I encounter locally. Now I know the courses I see locally are a result of local resources, bay size, props, set up help, etc. and they don't reflect what I am encountering on the road.

Anyhow, with the help of this forum and a lot of practice, I have gotten pretty good at shooting the small courses of fire, but field courses elude me. This really shows up at bigger matches. My current Classification percent in Open (my worst division)is right at 84% and my high is around 86%. I have been shooting Open a lot because it is sooo much fun. As one would suspect, when I go to a match I'll finish with the M class shooters on all of the speed shoots and short courses, but I drop clear back with the B class shooters on the big field courses and that's where the points are.

I can't begin to tell you how many times people have told me how well I performed on the initial array, or how well I did on the first and second positions only to flounder and gobble up way too much time with wasted movement and bad decisions from that point forward.

Some folks tell me I need to treat each position as a small speed shoot and book it without haste from spot to spot. To be honest, that's what I thought I have been doing. Others tell me to never stop and be more efficient. Others tell me my plan sucks. I know I need a mental management plan and I know I need to become better at scoping out a stage but I am at a loss as to how to go about developing my own technique.

When you guys shoot a big field course (32 rounds, lots of positions) do you break it down into little units or do you treat the stage as a whole? Should a slow, stiff, middle aged fat guy like me forget about trying to shoot fast then run like heck and focus my attention on getting all of the points instead? Should I get real analytical and try to figure out if the transitions on say a long shot to eliminate a position will off set the time difference in just jogging to the shooting area?

I am open to any and all suggestions. I would especially like to hear from seasoned senior shooters and/or guys that are on the opposite end of the spectrum from the "Burner". Thanks.

In my case with stage break down, I break it down into arrays per mag...only because I am shooting Production.

What I recommend is make a check list for yourself.

On any given field course if you are looking for ways you can cut time, I recommend doing the following things.

1. Walk through the stage and figure out the least amount of shooting positions that are required.

2. Take as many targets on the move as possible, whether it be at a gallop or a snail's pace, it will decrease your time. But there is a thin line between this because sometimes the speed isn't worth the potential points you can drop while shooting on the move.

3. Pick the most direct line through a stage. Never take an unecessary step.

4. If you get into a shooting position where there is an barricade and multiple targets arrayed behind it. Take the furthest in one first and work your way out, doing this allows you to back out of the position while shooting.

5. Don't waste time getting from point A to point B, go there like Oprah going after a ham. As long as when you get there you are ready to shoot.

6. This goes along with number 5. When going to a position at full-tilt boogie, know how to hit the breaks by leaning back and keeping your weight low. For example watch a good receiver run out for a buttonhook.

7. (Probably the most important). NEVER try and get a good time on a stage. Call your shots and your time will be what it will be...Whatever it is, I guarantee it would be better than trying to shoot everything fast.

Most of these are common sense, but I know that I need to be reminded of them constantly.

I don't consider myself anywhere near a senior shooter. These are just things that work good for me. Try them out and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Field courses are easy. Biggest thing is finding the spot to do the reload and then find the most efficient way through it. First time through I count all the targets and get a general overlook. Next time find the positions you'll be shooting from and determine which targets you can take on the move. Get the plan locked in. When the buzzer goes off haul ass. Most people think they are moving fast and smooth but they are really moving slow and jerky. Take TJ's or Matt's class and you'll pick it up in no time.

Ron,

Sounds like you need to come down for my Prinicipals of Movement class. The link may still be up on the A6 webpage with some information about the class. I'm tentativly scheduling the next one around the first week in February to help shake off the winter cobwebs before Frank's match in Florida. If you are going to the Nationals, get with me and we'll have dinner one night and talk about your movement skills. There's just too much to go over in writing.

Jake,

Looks like were squadded together at the Nationals. Looking forward to it.

Erik

Sorry Flex. I was going to post in the beginner's forum. Thanks Jake, I think the checklist idea will give me a place to start. I am one of those concrete sequential thinkers (anal) and a "process" might help with the mental game if nothing else.

Field courses are easy.

Yeah, that's what folks keep telling me. But I guess I am out of the norm. I think speed shoots are easy. No thinking, no movement, just shooting. Guys wonder how I can flub a field course then turn around and be all over a classifier. For the life of me, I can't figure out how anyone with even average hand eye coordination can't shoot 75%-80% on classifiers, on demand, after 2 or 3 seasons. We all have our own perspective.

Some folks tell me I need to treat each position as a small speed shoot and book it without haste from spot to spot. To be honest, that's what I thought I have been doing.

I'm no expert and this is just a guess. I've been working on my mental aspects of shooting a lot lately so here it goes ...

Once the stage is broken down into smaller speed shoots do you put them all together into larger picture? Like a mental step back to look at the puzzle once you have all the pieces in place.

It reminds me of the awareness/attention parts of Brian's book. Kind of like being aware of the whole stage and shifting your attention to each position as you get there then further shifting you attention to each target. As each target is complete you shift your attention back to the position. As each position is complete you shift your attention to your overall stage picture.

Hi Ron,

Beside the excellent feedback from Flex, Jake, & Steve's analysis tool, here's another couple of opinions.

Just like when designing a stage, "do it in reverse". In other words, start your look at where you want to end up and figure each step in reverse to the start. In my case, I prefer to take an extra step or two if it puts me into a more aggressive position to get the hits that I am looking for on a particular array. I'd much rather flow from shooting position to position able to engage that array agressively, i.e., quickly and confidently. That way, it tends to minimizing the target hunting which costs time. Inherent in this approach is looking for opportunities to engage as many targets as possible while on-the-move (within your comfort zone of acceptable hits, esp. on partials). With the mental model of linking array to array, your transition between arrays gets better. Don't overthink the actual footwork (imho). Like in basketball, if your going to go to the hole, go to the hole.

As a great role model in this, watch Eric Graffuel at Natls -- he is unreal in the speed at which he links to the first target of an array on field courses.

I'm probably stealing this approach from Henning W. and owe him the credit.

DVC.

Ken

Thanks Ken:

A perfect example of what you are saying would be Stage One at the Mile High. The stage that began behind the barricade. I chose to eliminate the last array (far left) by shooting the two outside targets from the start position. Those were 26 yard shots. Instead of shooting the target in the little island in the middle on the move through a port, I chose to stop, squat and shoot the remaining two targets of the last array, eliminating that position. Those two long yardage splits and transitions, in combination with the stop and squat gig, probably took upwards of four to five seconds just to save three steps. Even at that, I really didn't save three steps because two of the last four targets could have been engaged while moving into position for the last two. Wish I could have been there to watch you and Bednorz shoot that stage.

Ron my separated-at-birth twin brother, I feel your pain. After doing mostly standing stuff for the past few days, I set up a very Barry-like 22 round field course today. What seems to give me the most trouble is setting up on the first target. From a stand-and-deliver platform, you just raise the gun and you're there, but when you are coming in laterally, slowing down, the sight is high and misaligned and it won't settle and your feet aren't quite perfect, etc. I also had the same problem with one target that I left on; it was a natural exit target but that motion of beginning to leave was enough to disturb my platform that I threw shots out of the A zone and into the no-shoot. I did that same array for a standing speed shoot and I was nailing the shots.

...Should a slow, stiff, middle aged fat guy like me...

i'm not trying to be a smart@ss or insulting. but i read a nutrition book where some nutritionist gets bunch of athletes to run a timed 100 yard dash, then (after resting) strap on a 10 pound weight belt and do it again. 10 pounds isnt much at all, and they were all slower with the added weight. i dont know what your idea of "fat" is (some guys think 5 extra pounds is fat), but losing weight will probably make you noticeably faster.

Yeh, I agree with the losing weight working.

Since January I have dropped over 135 pounds. My speed even in the last 3 months keeps building. My goal is to get down around 220 or so. Considering I was well over 400 when I separated from my wife last August.

Phil is on the right track on that one.

Erik,

Do one thing at a time. See the target, make the shot, call the shot, leave the box. Leaning out of a box on your last shot does nothing for you. It's an illusion. People seem to think that leaning out of a box is some high speed technique for exiting boxes. The only time this may do something for you is if you only have to move 1, maybe 2 steps. When exiting boxes, think it terms of your first three steps, not just one. Your first three steps are like the first three gears in your car. They are your acceleration gears. In order to maximize your acceleration (which is the most important aspect of movement with regards to this sport) you need to the proper hip orientation to generate power. The mechanics of the human body demand that your hips face the direction you are moving, if you want to do it with any type of speed and power. Leaning out of a box does nothing for you. It extends your stance, reducing the amount of power you can generate to accelerate at your maximum potential. It does not allow you to re-orient your hips for maximum acceleration until after your first step, slowing your overall acceleration, and it reduces the stability of your shooting platform which reduces your accuracy potential, as you have already discovered in your previous post. Again, do one thing at a time. See the target, make the shot, call the shot, accelerate out of the box to the next shooting position. You won't lose any time, you'll have better hits, and you won't do the "popper dance" that all "leaners" end up doing at some time or another.

Jake,

I'm shooting Limited. Anytime you want to get together and chat, just let me know.

Erik

Leaning out of a box on your last shot does nothing for you. It's an illusion.

Wow, that certainly goes contrary to conventional wisdom. I thought shooting while you are leaving and shooting as you arrive were more or less essentials.

As for losing weight, I agree with that recommendation. As I have found out, the biggest lie in the IPSC rulebook is the little ditty about IPSC being a contest of shooting skill, not athletic ability. :lol: Guys half my age in good shape are crushing me in the field courses, but they can't even begin to compete in a speed shoot. Then again, guys 10 years older than me who are in better shape are spraying whoop ass all over me too. Hmmmm....that word "shape" keeps popping up.

When running from position to position, short quick steps is what makes you go fast.

Yeah, I have noticed how quick guys with fast, short steps scoot around effortlessly. I think I am gonna cry. I have a very long stride. I was hoping to find a way to use that to my advantage.

Ron,

I am going to say...with no doubt in my mind...that being quick and in shape is NOT the deciding factor.

I think Brian has posted where he and TGO didn't some experiments...where one of them busted ass to get to the next shooting position, while the other strolled over to it. The times weren't very far apart.

Being physical impaired by injury, obesity, etc. is one thing, but moving through field courses is a learnable skill more than it is a physical feat.

I won't except a healthy individual's excuse of "I can't shoot field courses well because ______". In most all cases...it is a mental hurdle more than a physical hurdle.

Movement through field courses is an upper-level skill set. It is challenging.

Boy, Ron, you're getting all sorts of advice.

"Plastics, Ron, Plastics..."

So, on the stage you mentioned at MileHi -- we went round and round as to the quickest way to shoot that. Henning went to the boxes very quickly and shot them while basically moving through them with very good hits (good proximity). He was shooting Limited and wanted to get close.

I believe that Gene, Don, & I shot the longer shots like you did from the barricade and then hightailed it down the middle. The low target didn't require a full set up again given the proximity, just a pause. Then the thinking was to be able to agressively engage the two near targets on the left and (while moving across) do the partially obscurred two as they presented, and finish very agressively on the four remaining from the right side. Doing it this way seemed to keep a very good flow where we were engaging those last eight targets continually instead of having two separate set ups. At set up, we tried to tweak it to make your plan more inviting. If you could have finished at that port, I would have done it that way as well. But, since you had to still go downrange, I think it was faster to flow across the targets. See, I like that "flow" term.

"Flow like water" B. Lee

Take Care,

Ken

Flex:

I asked for help and I certainly don't want to turn a deaf ear to those who are willing to assist. I know the value of being in good physical condition, but I also know I don't need to be an Olympic track and field gold medalist to do well. I also think some folks can explode out of a box (Avery, Barnhardt, Jarrett) while others almost fall out of the box through weight transfer, then lope to the next position. I need to develop my style and I don't think being quick like a rabbit will work. Heck, even in junior high school I was the last kid picked in my physical education classes.

Sam told me has seen me exhibit all of the skills required to be successful on a long field course from watching me shoot short courses. But for whatever reason, I am not transferring those skills beyond the beginning part of a long field course. Maybe the problem is lack of IPSC experience, complacency, and just not paying attention. Anyhow, I think I have a place to start and I appreciate everyone's help.

Ken:

I went to the right and squatted down through the port on the middle target to take the last of the array to the left. Then I had to shoot one target on the move, stop to shoot three, stutter step and stop to shoot another, then move laterally to pick up the last. You guys kicked my but by being fluid and never stopping while I was doing the stop and go gig. No wonder I was six seconds back. Man, next time around I am going to beg to be on the super squad.