Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training for field courses...

Ron Ankeny

Ron..

we had you on the supersquad...wish you would have stayed...

I remember Gene and I looked at the going right and shooting through the port like you did...we then figured out the keep moving way..and felt as Ken said..."flowed" a little better..the shots were more available and person could get aggressive on the back row of targets..

I like Hennings plan..but it seemed a little jerky and took the smoothness out of the overall plan of shooting the stage..and I felt pretty confident of my mid range shooting..

I think everyone has the ability in them to shoot field courses well..its just getting all the pieces together...

Ron..see ya next time..

Ken,

I like the Bruce Lee quote. I just picked up a copy of Tao of Jeet Kune Do and it has lots of little pearls like that...

"One should seek good balance in motion and not in stillness."

"High levels of perceptual speed are the product of learnig,not of inheritance."

Cool stuff.

• 1 month later...

Ron,

Here's a drill that might help in your quest. The credit for this definitely goes to Roger Sherman who trains very hard when on the range (what can you expect from a former sub-4 minute miler...). On one training session with Roger, I believe we each ran it about 20 times with some variations -- wind sprints with a gun, i.e., fun wind sprints (I seem to remember having a hard time walking the next day).

So, here's Roger's House of Pain . There are many variations that you can add to this but the fundamentals of movement, target acquisition, box entry, etc. are stressed very well in this drill. The drawing is a little out-of-scale but the distances between boxes are the important thing. And, the 20+ yd. popper is key to force you to take a very deliberate aimed shot before just sprinting away. Also, I was originally missing a box/array -- that's why the round count says 7, should be 9.

E. CO shooters beware as a variation of this stage is coming soon to your theaters...

Hope it helps.

Ken

rogersHouseOfPain.jpg

Rhino,

Absolutely.

One variation that I've done is to put targets off to the side as your moving to the box. But, force yourself to engage the "original" targets from the box. Basically, it's a lazy man's way to set up a "go here, shoot here, go there, shoot there" scenario without having to drag out a bunch of walls/ports. We see alot of that style at the Natls and other big matches.