Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver related questions

635 PCSO

I am currently shooting a 40 STI Edge. I started IPSC with a 686 and I miss the old wheelgun. I am considering a 625 or the 10mm equivalent. With a 4 or 5 inch barrel. This is going to be a IPSC gun only. I have several questions. I reload my own so I can set primers deep and I can use federals..

Who does the best trigger job?

What revolver would you shoot for IPSC? What Barrel length?

How low can I go on poundage on my trigger?

Does anyone make replacement parts for the MIM? Do I need to worry about that?

Who can give me a fiber optic front sight?

Who makes the cylinder shaped moonclip holders I see in competition?

If you reccomend the 45 or the 40/10 what reload recipe are using to meet power factor?

Anyone know a good source for these revo's with hammer mounted firing pins?

I know this is a lot of questions but this forum guided me into ipsc with my edge and I was very happy with every purchase I made. THis forum saved me a lot of trial and error buying.

Thanks in advance for the information.

My Edge is a 40 so I am considering the 40/10 revolver but I would go with the 45 it it offers a clear advantage in the game.

Welcome back to the "real" guns OOPS i meant wheel guns :lol:

1 trigger jobs -- I do my own and use Wolf Reduced power spring kits but the next one will be a Black Majic kit.

2 what does the best in the world shoot ??? 5 inch 625

3 Mine has a 6 1/2 double action pull :)

4 except for the spring kit and the Miculek grip, and Millet sight it is 100% factory

1989 model 625-4 (firing pin on hammer) have 1989 model 625-6 (internal firing pin) set up exactly the same, can't tell any difference.

5 several out there.... check Brownells

6 Dave Hearth, Hearthco look back on some earlier posts and click on Hearthco and e-mail him (they are expensive though)

7 200 grain Precision round nose .45 4.5 grn Clays (be careful with this powder as it is a high pressure powder) factory O.A.L. Federal Large pistol primers

On the Clays start low and work up.... at any sighn of too much pressure quit and get another powder but .45 ACP in not near as bad as .40 S&W

for .40 s&w i use 155 grn precision rond nose 5.7 grns vv n320 fed small pistol and load 1.125 ( i also have a 610)

8 I found Mine at the local gushop, have not seen any others, the newer models seem to be OK.

If you still have the 686 shoot it for now, your choice of Major or Minor (I personally would shoot minor as an A is an A) and the recoil is more manageable.

as far as .45 being more of an advantage, not until your reload makes a difference in stage times... sorry but that is just how it is with these round things

I can run my 610 just as good as the 625 but the 610 is a 4 inch gun and I like the extra weight out on the end of the barrel the 625 has plus with the 610 that little extra meet between the chambers can cause some reloading difficulties.

Good Luck, Hope to see you out on a range sometime, somewhere. ;)

Hopalong / Sam Keen

My set-up:

25-2, 1970s vintage, 6.5" bbl.

No trigger lightening, just slicked it up.

Usually 230 JRN and Titegroup, but I haven't pulled the handle on my reloader in months so I'm shooting factory (Black Hills) at the Nationals.

For a new gun, the 5" 625 would be the choice.

Lots of fiber optic sights, try SDM Fabricating.

Don't worry aobut MIM.

If you try too hard to make it light, you'll create problems in relaible ignition.

Generally the .45 gets the nod, as geometry favors it over the .40 in reloading quickly.

That, and the directions to Carnegie Hall, and you're set for now.

My set up

625 5" SDM fiberoptic front sight millit rear

Cylinder charge holes are polished, numbered and chamfered

trigger job consists of well polished internals a reduced power main spring

and a reduced power rebound spring its about 6.5 lbs but very smooth

grips are wood finger groove from Hogue

load is 230 gr fmj w/4.5 of 700x

good luck, John

PCSO, On the MIM parts, I replaced the mim trigger with a stock trigger, took it out of a old 586 and put into a new 686, and had no problems. But both had the hammer nose in the hammer. I am thinking about using a 625-4 1989 model for IPSC and putting my open gun up (Model 27-2 with DOT and converted to an eight shot) using it only for ICORE. But I broke the Hammer nose spring on the 625, AGAIN!!. And will put it together soon and play in Revo Class. This way more people can whip my @##.

Also using 4.5 grains of Solo 1000 behind a 200 grain West Coast Plated bullet it is pretty clean. Don't forget to clean out the cylinders between stages. rdd

PSCO

Ditto what most said but I'll add anyway.

Get the Miculek video and springs and do it yourself....it's easy

625 ..... 5 inch

I go about 7lbs. Remember the return speed it just as important as pull weight.

I don't know......./.......I don't know

SDM

45 I think it reloads better (faster)

200gr Ranier, 4.6 Clays, Fed primers, 1.255 OAL gives me 170PF

No. I have the internal and have been happy with it. I imagine you'll have to find a used one somewhere if you want it on the hammer.

Hope this helps..

S&W 625 5" it's the standard.

don't worry about the MIM parts.

Pre MIM guns I would look at the gun shows and pawn shop's

Moon Clip holders you can get by with the stuff in the Dillon catlog but I would look at TK Customs site he has some high speed no drag gear.

Sights SDM seem popular just check brownells they have a bunch

Custom work I am told TK Custom is good, Clark did a PPC gun for me it is top notch, also S&W performance center package deal they did a carry gun for me good work fair price quick turn around, you might also try Mag-Na-Port did some work for me three years ago was good price and turn around no complaints. Might want to polish charge holes and chamfer the edges.

I do not change any thing on my gun just slick it up keep it 100% no playing with the strain screw type stuff

Reloading make it a 200 to 230 and a clean powder like clays, Nitro 100 etc

Good luck put the bottom feeder away

Key things I want in a revolver are:

- a grip that fits MY hand.

- chamfered cylinder

- a good thin front sight

Just go with whatever S&W .45ACP revolver. They all work. If you have a choice, I'd go for one with a hammer mounted FP.

My rig is a CR Speed belt (awesome!) and holster. The clipholders I have are from California Competition Works sold through Dillon.

Hopalong, I'd love to shoot some matches in the US. Unfortunately, as a poor student (soon to be a Law major :)) I can't afford those trips right now. As soon as I have a decent job, I'll get myself a 1050 from Brian, a sh!tload of components and a plane ticket to the US ;)

Hopalong, I'd love to shoot some matches in the US. Unfortunately, as a poor student (soon to be a Law major :)) I can't afford those trips right now. As soon as I have a decent job, I'll get myself a 1050 from Brian, a sh!tload of components and a plane ticket to the US ;)

You are Revolver Division Champion of EC2004. I think it's possible to have any sponsorship.

QUOTE (spook @ Sep 9 2004, 03:58 PM)

Hopalong, I'd love to shoot some matches in the US. Unfortunately, as a poor student (soon to be a Law major ) I can't afford those trips right now. As soon as I have a decent job, I'll get myself a 1050 from Brian, a sh!tload of components and a plane ticket to the US  

You are Revolver Division Champion of EC2004. I think it's possible to have any sponsorship.

Ray, I wish it was that easy. But, it's different with revolverdivision. If I had won open or standard, I would probably had a nice new gun sitting in my safe now. I have some sponsorship now (I got 10.000 .45 bullets for free) but that will not cover the expenses of those trips :( I love shooting revolver in IPSC, but obviously it is looked at differently (just like Modified).

I think if I would beat Jerry Miculek in the World Shoot, I might get some good deals. So guess what my next goal is ;)

PS If you know any possible sponsors, please let me know :)

Spook...

From one "Law Student" to another, I'll sponsor ya. ;)

Send me a list of what you need...If I can accomodate it...it's yours. Of course it depends on how much money I have left over after tuition and books. :lol:

Seriously...if you need/want something from State side, let me know. I'd survive just fine in a world run by the "barter system".

Keep up the good work champ ! ;)