Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

if assault weapons ban came back?

Not sure if this is the section to put this question in but, if they reinstated the assault weapons ban and AR's were illegal what would happen to multi gun competitions? I was not shooting during the last ban so I was just curious what would happen, because I believe we may be heading down that road again. Hope this isn't to political of a question. I just want a actual answer not trying to start a debate on the topic.

Edited by sdm74

If the powers that be decide to outlaw guns, which is the direction that is indicated by the media, then you will get to put all that practice to use. May God walk with us in this country and not let that happen.

I do not know how it effected them during the last ban. I do know that all items already owned by the shooter were grandfathered in. With the total number of purchases made prior to the last ban, since the ban ended, and ones made within the next several months as the talk escalates, the only shooters that should feel any effect will be those new shooters who do not already have the equipment.

Poppa,

You are assuming that the law will have a grandfather clause. They could simply reclassify anything that meets their "assault rifle" defn as NFA and suddenly we are all scrambling to pay our $200 and get the rifles registered. Would raise a lot of money and be a win win win for Obutta.

I was shooting in California during the 1989 Roberti-Roose assault weapons act, and was in Florida for the 1994 AWB.

IMHO - The biggest impact to us as USPSA competition shooters centered around the mags, both for pistol and rifle.

In the '89 ban in California we had to register our rifles (still have my DOJ letter as a souvenir) and you couldn't buy rifles on the banned list.

The '94 AWB was a little more sophisticated in how they defined a "bad" rifle and there was a blanket 10 round limit on newly manufactured mags. If you already had the mags, then you were grandfathered in. If not, then you were hosed (or had to do things that may or may not have been totally legal.) This hurt both the shooters in our sport and the manufacturers of our equipment.

Hopefully cooler heads will prevail, i don't want to go back to the "dark ages." :mellow:

Everyone is worried about there not being a Grandfather clause, like there was in the last ban. Don't forget that the Republicans have control of the house. No bill like this goes through without there support. A ban may go through, but it will have a Grandfather clause. It may be time to start buying up high cap kmags so you can have spares. I know I am

WE MUST STAND TOGETHER! AND NOT LET ANY more BANS HAPPEN TO OUR RIGHTS UNDER THE 2ND---IT IS NOT REALLY ABOUT the "SHOOTING SPORTS" it is about who governs the people, WE THE PEOPLE or the would be KINGS! Once the Firearms are gone---who can stop a tyrant? It's time to send the NRA another $100!

do the capital letters come on to strong?

A ban may go through, but it will have a Grandfather clause.

No offense, but that is just very naive thinking. Sorry, I'm not picking on you, because I have heard a lot of people say the same thing. But, things are WAY different this time.

#1 - The Dems are going to be thinking "we're not going to make the same mistake in the law we did last year". They will do their best to not have it Sunset, and they will definitely do their best to not include a Grandfather clause.

#2 - This tragedy is pissing a lot of people off that normally would have remained silent on gun issues in the past. They want something done and the knee jerk reaction is to agree with the gun grabbers and ban the guns. All this translates into a lot of pressure on politicians on BOTH sides of the aisle to do something. Yes, the Repubs have the house, but national outrage is going to be very hard for them to ignore. Don't forget, they are politicians that still want to get re-elected.

Exactly, I'm hearing people say that if they can't take them they will tax them so high that you won't be able to afford to own or shoot it. If it would stop another incident like new town from happening I would actually be all for it. But we all know that's not the magic bean that will stop these psycho cowards.