Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

*NOT* Taran Butler's SG Reloads

EricW

Anybody know what Taran is *typically* able to reload his SG in (as in: on average, not just his fastest one ever)? I watched him on Shooting USSR and it *looks* like 4 rounds in the 2-3 second range. I'd also be curious to know how he's holding the rounds in his hand as he stuffs them in weakhand.

Taran isn't all that fast when it comes to loading, he is very smooth. He typically loads 4s in the 3.60-3.80 range and 8s in 7.5-8.0. There are a few shooters that are faster on 4s and 8s. Mike.45 of the U.K. usually is around 3.12-3.25 for 4s and about 6.3-6.5 for 8s, and a couple of the US shooters are also in this range for weak hand loading as well. As far as I know. Mike.45, and one other shooter are the only ones that keep the shotgun at thier shoulder while loading, and this may explain the time difference, as Taran and most others drop the butt of the gun under thier arm while loading. KURTM

Taran isn't all that fast when it comes to loading, he is very smooth.

That's what I noticed. His technique is very relaxed and appears to have a low disaster factor.

BTW, Cullen is THE MAN. Scanned the article and emailed it to me. I'll try to put it up as a PDF so others can check it out (and incur the wrath of USPSA :P).

Kurt,

BTW, we're talking 3.XX seconds for: BANG...RELOAD 4...BANG... Correct?

Does Mike45 pull 4 (or at least more than one at a time) for his technique?

If folks are interested, I'd like to put up a "How to Reload Your Shotgun" FAQ. I'd like to put pictures and captions up for at least *NOT* Taran's, Benny Cooley's, Shawn Carlock's and any other major techniques I'm ignorant of.

Would people be able to help me out with pictures?

Edited by EricW

EricW:

Yes: beep, bang, load like hell, bang....and actually hit a stop plate, not make noise. ;) He grabs 4 at a time, and like almost all ( but not all) weak handers he uses shell holders that only hold 4, a duffer in this respect, but he can be forgiven since he is from overseas, and can't shoot as much as we can!

I suppose you can call it Taran's technique but I saw Eddie Rhodes do this at least 3 years befor Taran started playing 3-gun; that's who I picked it up from, and I can remember Taran wearing a glove!

Ringram, thank you for the kind words, but the only "blistering" was on my loading thumb from loading all the extra shells due to my high rate of missing :D

On a more serious note Jeff Cramblit, and myself are triing to come up with a shotgun tape on, loading, speed shooting, etc, geared tward IPSC/USPSA shooting. We have had a hard time finding a proffessional film company to film this and if anyone knows of anyone that can help us out we would like to know! KURTM

On a more serious note Jeff Cramblit, and myself are triing to come up with a shotgun tape on, loading, speed shooting, etc, geared tward IPSC/USPSA shooting. We have had a hard time finding a proffessional film company to film this and if anyone knows of anyone that can help us out we would like to know! KURTM

Thanks!

I just was playing with the Cooley twist and a stronghand reload over the shoulder - got it down to about 3.5 dry. I think I can consistently hit about 4.25 - 4.5 live fire. I'm really glad you posted those times - because I was losing a full second using my stronghand to rotate the gun. As soon as I quit that - whammo - I was beating the 4 sec buzzer with time to burn.

Hurry up and get that tape out! I need to learn how to shoot shotgun on the move and the self-directed study just ain't panning out. A "Rifle for Dummies" video is also on my Xmas list.

What about Jim Scoutten's outfit to do the video?

I've watched Taran B. load, and he's smooth with the act of getting shells out of the carrier and up to the gate. I'm finally able to get consistent timing in loading 4 weak hand, around 3.5-3.8 sec if I would slow things down a bit. My problem was (and still is sometime :P ) too much speed coming out of the carrier and shells would start flying or flipping the wrong way. Also, when loading 4 during practice, I usually leave 2 rounds in the tube to simulate match condition when you're constantly topping off while moving. Loading 8 in 2 sets of 4 tends to simulate this condition.

I think its fair to say my good friend kurt is being very humble and generous in his praise. Shoot 1 load 4 shoot 1 is on average in the high 3's for me - I know Kurt can occassionally do it in the high 2's. :wacko:

After 6 months of practice I was about on par with Kurt's speeds of when we first met in 2003, in the space of a year Kurt has probably increased his speed by about 20% and is now eye blurringly fast with finger manipulation. In fact I was shocked when he came over to the UK this year and we did some loading practice with the increase in his speed.

I RO'ed Taran at the RM3G and watched his loading and thought to myself at the time he didnt look that fast - however he moved like he was flowing along, not running but flowing. He took 5 secs off me in his first run, but had a re-shoot and ended in 61 secs - the same time as me. Re-shoot gremlins came to visit. What Kurt didnt publicise too much was that he shot it clean in 51 secs - faster than anyone in the comp with a tatical SG. :ph34r:

I will forgive Kurt for his insults about the cut down holders as I want some more of his apple juice, anyway they are not wrong, just different. I did some video of Kurt and I doing strings of 4 side by side seeing who was fastest - I will try and get it downloaded if anyone wants a copy.

EricW:

Yes: beep, bang, load like hell, bang....and actually hit a stop plate, not make noise. ;) He grabs 4 at a time, and like almost all ( but not all) weak handers he uses shell holders that only hold 4, a duffer in this respect, but he can be forgiven since he is from overseas, and can't shoot as much as we can!

KURTM

Still amazes me how well Mike.45 did in RM3G match without much time behind the rifle & pistol!

I did some video of Kurt and I doing strings of 4 side by side seeing who was fastest - I will try and get it downloaded if anyone wants a copy.

Mike.45,

I'd be happy to host it. Just give me fair warning before sending anything. I need to set up an account where I have high-speed access, so I can push it up on my site. I think a lot of people would really benefit from seeing the video.

==============================================

For anybody missed the FS article on NOT Taran's reload technique, I have pirated it and put it up here. (640K)

Edited by EricW

Kurt,

BTW, we're talking 3.XX seconds for: BANG...RELOAD 4...BANG... Correct?

Does Mike45 pull 4 (or at least more than one at a time) for his technique?

If folks are interested, I'd like to put up a "How to Reload Your Shotgun" FAQ. I'd like to put pictures and captions up for at least *NOT* Taran's, Benny Cooley's, Shawn Carlock's and any other major techniques I'm ignorant of.

Would people be able to help me out with pictures?

Eric

I recently created some some video clips that originally shot back in 1991. My technique is very different to that used by Kurt/Mike but I've still got a run

of "beep, load 10, shoot 1 in about 8.3" I think it was. I've got some other clips I could send as well if you are interested. They would need a Broadband connection though. Alternatively I would be happy to send you a CD.

There is also a run of "beep, load 10 shoot 10 in a fraction over 10 seconds" and also 10 rounds "dumped" (not aimed) in about 1.8 seconds.

You are welcome to any of them if they are of any interest.

I won't be able to send them before Wednesday night (UK time) because I'm away attending an exhibition in Birmingham at the moment.

Please advise.

• 1 month later...
If folks are interested, I'd like to put up a "How to Reload Your Shotgun" FAQ.  I'd like to put pictures and captions up for at least *NOT* Taran's, Benny Cooley's, Shawn Carlock's and any other major techniques I'm ignorant of.

I for one would be BEAUCOUP interested in such a FAQ, Eric!

I know it's not much, but perhaps I can help you organize and publish the vids, pics and descriptions. If there is any interest, I'm available.

Looking forward to the FAQ,

Rocco