Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help setting up open competition holster, belt, pouches etc.

wanttolearn

Recently purchased a new STI trubor 38 super and purchased here a 50% off safariland coupon so thought i'd buy my stuff there and save some money.

I called Safariland, picked out the 014 holster, the els belt system 30 and 32, and then looked for magazine pouches. They told me that neither their 771 or 773 accomodate the double stack sti magazines.

Do other magazine pouches fit?

Should i just purchase the holster from them and buy a belt and pouches elsewhere...i'd sure appreciate the help. As you can tell i'm pretty new to all of this so specific recommendations would sure help.

FWIW I would just order the 773's. With open you shouldn't be reloading much anyway & one mag pouch is pretty much as good as another although it is all personal preference.

Might as well put the 50% coupon to use towards them.

Some people like 771's. I like the 771's for single stack because of the opening, but prefer 773 for open & limited.

I don't have an ELS so I don't know if others would fit.

Recently purchased a new STI trubor 38 super and purchased here a 50% off safariland coupon so thought i'd buy my stuff there and save some money.

I called Safariland, picked out the 014 holster, the els belt system 30 and 32, and then looked for magazine pouches. They told me that neither their 771 or 773 accomodate the double stack sti magazines.

I don't know why they would say that, I've been using 771 and 773 pouches for years with STI and SV mags!

thanks everyone, its funny because i called and spoke with two different individuals there...both of whom assured me that they didn't have the appropriate mag pouches for the sti double stack....very happy i found this forum.

Now to find a belt, not sure i want the safariland belt and i've heard / read that some can't cinch it up as well as some of the competitors. want to find more info on other suggestions.

Maybe the Brass Monkey belt vs CR speed? Any thoughts or help would sure be appreciated.

I tried a DAA belt but found it to be way too stiff. Stiff is one thing but when it becomes uncomfortable that's another. The CR speed belt is plenty stiff. And if you are thinking of another brand of holster, pouch, etc save yourself some heartache and get the CR Speed.

If you will look on their website under competition and click on the accessories or mag pouch you can find the 771 or the 773 and both have a listing for the SV mags. which would also be appropriate for the STI mags. I called them because I am also going to use a 50% coupon and they said they had them. Hope this helps.

You can get the correct magazine pouches from Holsters.com and/or order directly with your 50% number through the website. I have been using the ELS rig in open since May and have no trouble getting the belt tightened up. I have also found that the wider ELS belt is more confortable to wear for me then my CR speed belt. My recomendation: 014 holster, 3 771 mag pouches with the ELS forks already installed and and ELS outer and inner belt. For right at $200.00 with the discount you are set.

Marty

A-7424