Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

non-standard range commands

ErikW

I hate it when I'm told something other than, "Load and make ready." Sunday it was, "You are clear to handle your weapon." I always wonder if it's a trick to DQ me or something. I'm convinced the only thing to do is pretend I don't understand them.

"Ich spreche nicht Englisch. Sprechen Sie bitte Befehle nur vom rulebook. " (Did I get that right, Detlef?)

excellent!!!

I always figure they want me to start laughing so hard that I can't shoot anymore.

"You may take an unloaded sight picture!" ("Huh?")

"Shooter ready" ("where is Redy? It's not me, no, I'm Detlef!")

"Do you understand the course of fire?" (Man, what do you think I did the past 35 min.??????)

"Slide forward, hammer down" (where does he want me to slide forward to?)

The list is endless....

--D.

Oh yeah - gotta agree 100% here, but that command isn't nearly as bad as

"You are clear to handle your weapon, take a sight picture WITH AN EMPTY WEAPON, then load and make ready"  (emphasis is theirs - not mine)

Makes me wanna turn around and ask them which planet their from :-)

It's more like, "Have you read and do you understand the course of fire?" Followed by your, "You are clear to handle your weapon, take a sight picture WITH AN EMPTY WEAPON, then load and make ready."

It's like listening to the nasal, garbled voice in the Charlie Brown cartoons, trying to pick out the worthwhile phrase ... "Wah-waaah-wah-wanh, wah-wah waanh wah wah waah wanh, load and make ready."

Don't get me started on the weapon thing.

Had a range officer at our Nationals say "I'm gonna ask you to load and make ready."...when I did nothing he asked "What are you waiting for?" to which I replied "I'm still waiting for you to  ask me to load!"...lol.  Love playin' with range officers that don't know the commands.

"Do you have any questions?" "Well I've got this rash...waddya think I should do for it....?"

Pat

As a newbie RO I really try to follow the standard range commands. I think some of the non-standard commands come from ROing new shooters. Also, the "Slide forward, hammer down, holster" command has become so common that we might as well just accept it.

I once used the exact command, "Gun Clear, Hammer Down, Holster" with a Glock shooter. He turned to me and calmly told me that, "Glocks don't have hammers it's a F______ (you fill in the blanks) striker". I guess us RO's just can't win.

...then there was a certain tall, lanky Team SV Infinity Limited GM I was ROing at a Golden Gate match. The guy had unloaded and reholstered and was walking away about two seconds after firing his last shot. I could barely spit out gunclearhammerdownholster rangeisclear before he was gone to look at his hits. (Yes, I saw the empty chamber and all that.)

How about implied approved actions during "load and make ready".  

At the 3-gun nats I got scolded for checking to see if the light on my shotgun was on afer I loaded it. The guys yelled at me and says that a "no-no".  I looked at the RO and said "you said load and make ready and thats what I'm doing"  then he gives me this BS about well you can't take a sight picture with a loaded gun.  I said I didn't read that in the rule book and he says well it there.  After shooting the stage I ask to see the book, and he got all defensive and goes off on "well not specifically but at this match you can't do that" and "just ask the CRO".  This same guy said nothing when a few minutes later Jim Clarck did the same thing.  Little Napoleons!

Yeah, at the pistol nationals this year we had an RO who said the first person to take a sight picture with a loaded gun would get a procedural and the second person would get a DQ. I was tempted to do it just so I could watch Amidon or Arnie come over and dress him down.

At the 2000 Lim Nats(yes I know i said I wouldn't read the I hate forum anymore) a guy I shoot with was shooting that three string standards stage( the stage with the little brat as a RO helper) when he got DQ'ed for only putting his thumb safety half way on.  The safety was on enough to keep the gun from working, the gun wasn't being handled unsafely, and the RO whose job is to "assist the shooter" didn't say:" hey check your safety".  The gruff RO just DQed the shooter.

I was there when it happened and like everyone else couldn't believe it.  It was like the RO's were getting a bonus for DQing people.  I saw another guy get 6 procedurals for shooting with his foot outside the fault line.  Problem was his foot was inside and a video tape of the stage proved it.  The RO said he saw the foot out; which he did but he didn't see the shooter pull his foot back in before firing.  The big problem with this is it wasn't the ROs job to watch the shooters foot it was the score keeper RO's job.  The timer RO's job is to watch the gun.  The score keeper RO said she wasn't watching the shooters feet.  This example while, obviously having an impact on the shooters score, wasn't as bad as the first example because the RO in second just made a mistake.

I remember those RO's well!  First, they wanted to give everybody on the squad a procedural for playing with the timer, then they started David on the stage with an empty weapon - someone should point out to these idjots that it's their job to ASSIST the shooter, not "get them"!!!!

We've had the same battle over here, it could so easily be tied into the 'why's everyone leaving the sport' thread. Its seems some people are going to think the worst of others regardless. Whatever happened to tolerance?

A lot of novice shooters are intimidated by range staff and so never attend major matches and never get the bug.

P.D.

George Jones was the C.R.O. of the standards stage who said he was going to give our whole squad a procedural until J.J. Racaza "confessed" to touching his timer. No doubt about it. Whether or not he later started David unloaded I don't know. I think he maybe had another RO with him besides his kid, maybe that's who ran David.

DQing for the safety is bogus. You just say, "Hey there, it doesn't look like you fully engaged your safety. Why don't you take care of it, then I can start you on my stage."

This need to be talked about more, these RO's need to remember tha this is a game and is supposed to be fun.  The RO sets the tone for the stage. Some are great, fun and the stages goes along well, everyone is happy and willing to help out.  On others the guys are jerks, it puts allot of people on edge, shooters are bitching and moaning and the stages seems to drag on forever.