Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extend the Thumbpiece

Ray Chonlatid

I have never used or wanted one of the bigger releases. I have changed out most of my old style with the new stye thought as I like them better and you don't have to grind them down like the old versions.

Neal in AZ

Ray,

Is it necessary to change the cylinder release? No, not necessary but an option that could help. It depends on your style and grip. On my N frame eight shot it gives me a place for my thumb to rest and is right there when I go for the reload. My K frame has the stock Cylinder release. Mostly because of the smaller area for the reload. ( the Cylinder swing out is closer to the frame and a large C release gets in the way) I had a freind that made several Cylinder releases and we experimented with them. I bet there are a more than a few people out there that have done the same thing and could share some of their experince if they wished. Each person is different and what works for me well may not be the best for you. Don't hesitate to try different ideas and give each one a fair shake. later rdd

I use the old style latches. In my grip, my strong hand thumb lays flat on the latch. If I had one of those gaspedal type latches, I would have to retract my thumb to activate the latch (which I think would cost me some time)

So the short answer is: I don't think other latches provide advantages.

Looking at the question from the point of view of a left-handed C class ISPC'r, IDPA'r and PPC'r, as well as Action Pistol wheelgunner every now & then:

My Model 10 (IDPA) has it's original old style thumbpiece, my PPC revolver (built on a Model 10 and MUCH modified) has a rounded off and ground down old style thumbpiece, and my "L" frame 686 (IPSC & Action Pistol) has it's original NEW style thumbpiece.

For a left-hander's reload, they all work well. I cannot say that I've noticed any difference in speed during the reload with either style, as long as they do not interfere with the speedloader during the reload.

But every shooter's hand is different, thumb size, flexibility, etc. Whatever works best. At least it is an easy part to switch out and try out.

• 1 month later...

Ray - Sorry for the late reply...new to the forum, and am going through the posts as I find them.

I prefer the new style factory release, and have updated almost all my S&Ws to it. It takes care of the speedloader clearance problem, and I don't have any problems finding it when I need it. Also, I only shoot revolver in IDPA where the Ed Brown release is not allowed.

Another advantage of the new style over the old is that you don't draw blood from your thumb knuckle when shooting heavy loads. ;)