Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Major - starter advise sought

Craig N

I am going to build a Glock 34 into an open gun. I'm going with the SJC combo of 11 port comp and a KKM barrel. From my reading I have gathered the following info.

1) 124 MG HP is the bullet of choice

2) 6.8 to 7.1 grains of Autocomp is the normally range so start off 10% under that

3) Figure out the longest OAL your barrel/magazines can run reliably and use that.

4) Harder than federal Primers either Small Pistol / Small Mag Pistol or Small Rifle Primer

5) A Chrono is a MUST HAVE item.

Is there anything I have missed in my research?

Can you use the Lee Factory crimp die on 9 Major loads?

Edited by Craig N

Yes. You size and decap with the EGW Lee U die. IMHO it is a must for every 9mm reloader major and minor. It eliminates bullet set back issues and creates positive neck tension. http://www.egwguns.c...reloading-dies/

Concur. The EGW is a decapper/sizer die just like any other. It is machined to size lower on the case and it sizes the brass a thou tighter or so.

Those loads that you listed are for long loaded (STI mag length) rounds. I would start really low. like 6.0 and work up slowly checking for pressure signs.

I agree in part. I run 7.3 WAC @ 1.168 so you may want to start in the 6.5-6.6 range. I think 6.0 is going to be too low.

Keep in mind Craig, it takes gas to run the comp and flatten out the gun. Once you find a load that makes 170 or so PF that is not showing pressure signs bump it up a tenth or two and see if the gun gets flatter. In my STI based gun the difference between 169 and 173 is quite astonishing. The gun bucks at 169 and smooths way out at 173.

I'm going to go slow and work it up once I get everything here. I think Im going with the EGW then my Auto Disk (unless I get a new powder unit too) seat with the micrometer one to keep as consistant a OAL as I can and then my crimp with the Lee Die.

Hello: I think you will find your overall length will be in the 1.140" range. So 6 grains of Auto Comp would be a good starting point. You may also try some HS-6 since it has lots of gas. You may have a slightly compressed load with it. I never used 124grain bullets with my Glock 17 open pistol I built but used 115's and 95 grain for minor loads. I just use a Dillon sizer and decap die for 9mm major. I do Case Pro my brass though. Thanks, Eric

I run an OAL of 1.160" with no issues at all. I also have a KKM barrel and SJC 11 port comp and just upped my load to help it shoot a little flatter. I started with Win SRP and at first they ran great, but recently started getting some issues so switched to Fed SPP. I run a 11 lb recoil spring, which is as low as I can go without having out of battery issues.

115 gr MG JHP

8.6 gr Silhouette

1.160" OAL

0.375" Crimp

This gives me 175 PF with no over pressure signs.

Just a few things to add:

1. Check all brass with a magnet some of it is steel with brass coating. It will give you a severe wedgie.

2. I use once fired brass once. No problems with brass, a good friend I trust does it 2 or 3 times but who can keep track.

3. I do not use a U-Die I hate them, makes reloading much slower and harder. I do roll all of my brass in a case pro, but not always, sometime I just load them using Dillon Die, I will get 4 or 5 out of a thousand that don't drop check. I buy the brass mostly or just pick up skank brass at the range.

4. I don't recommend federal primers, too soft, the Win SP work fine, lots use rifle primers but your glock probably won't set them off.

5. AutoComp, HS6, Silhouette are 3 that work well in 9 major.

6. Sometimes more is better, I've had guns that shot like crap at 170 pf then when I hit 175 pf the shot like a dream, every gun is a bit different you do have to expierement a bit to find what works best.