Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tumblers

I have read reviews all over the place on tumblers, some will always choose the cheapest, some will always purchase based on brand loyalty. I currently tumble on a Thumlers rotary cleaner since I haven't been doing that high of volume. I have been looking at vibratory tumblers, and like the size of the Dillon, but have been impressed by the quality of the Thumlers. Because of my experience with the Thumlers, I've also been looking at their Ultra-Vibe 18. Some threads have been people who are adamantly against the Dillons because of problems with the motors. Have these issues been ironed out? Would you guys be able to recommend one over the other, and if so, why?

Edited by gimpy

I had heard that the Dillon tumblers motor was a weak link, but I've never owned one. The only observation I can make in comparison to another brand comes via a friend. I use the Hornady M3 while a friend used the Dillon large tumbler. His comment was that you can carry on a conversation while my tumbler is running. His when loaded is pretty loud.

The tumbler sold under the Cabelas name and the Berry's name (same tumbler) seems to be the best bargain, dollar for dollar, going. That does not mean it's the best. I believe it holds about the same number of cases as the Thumler's Model B, but the Cabelas Model 400 is about 1/3 the price.

I would like to have a Thumler's for my rifle cases, but I only do small batches and it's just not worth the extra cost. But if you want to sell your's, give me a holler :goof:

Thanks for the offer, but I plan on running my rotary tumbler for a few years. I want the vibratory tumbler for pistol, and for a quick clean of rifle brass before running it through the 1050 to decap, resize, and swage. I figure that I can wet tumble after the first run through the 1050. The reason I am looking at one of the higher end vibratory tumblers is because I don't care to repurchase any time in the near future.

I recently ran my RCBS, Dillon CV500, and Thumblers Ultra Vibe 10 side by side and all loaded to the nuts with .40 brass. Have to say that the Thumblers was the best by far in overall performance between the three. It is virtually silent, polished the brass the best, and has a similar capacity to the other two tested. I recently sold my Dillon and am now down to the two but favor the Thumblers by far.

The large Harbor Freight is about the same in price as the large Dillon and seems to hold up well. Have read that Dillon found a better source for motors and the late ones are equal to the first ones - can't guarantee this - best to ask Dillon.

• 1 month later...

When I started a few years ago I got sage advice from an old rifle pro to use a Thumbler .

But different than using corn cobs etc, I use ceramic 3mm reusable pellets, with a cleaning ,

polishing solution. Rinse , dry and reclaim the pellets . Thjumbler runs foer 60-90 minutes .

Will do 400-500 cases at time . Fantastic results. Merv

After attending a gem and lapidary show, the run-of-the-mill tumbler we use for cleaning brass looked pretty wimpy compared to the industrial quality tumblers and motors that the jewelry trade uses. The only tumblers in the reloading realm that look heavy duty are the Dillon's. Motor size and capacity are what you pay for.

As far as longevity -- heat is the enemy of electric motors.

I had a Dillon CV-500 for over 25 years that I would turn on and forget about it for days while it was in a shed in the Texas Summer heat! No telling how many times I abused it.. It finially gave up the ghost. I sent it to Dillon for an upgrade to put a CV 750 motor on it. I forgot how much it cost, but it was not cheap. I went ahead and bought a CV-750 as well. I'm abusing the hell out of both of them!

Edited by Reinz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When I started a few years ago I got sage advice from an old rifle pro to use a Thumbler .

But different than using corn cobs etc, I use ceramic 3mm reusable pellets, with a cleaning ,

polishing solution. Rinse , dry and reclaim the pellets . Thjumbler runs foer 60-90 minutes .

Will do 400-500 cases at time . Fantastic results. Merv

Do you tumble wet or dry with these ceramic pellets? What kind and were to source?

Thanks,

Shannon

I have the large dillon CV-2001and after 4 years the motor died , so I replaced it with a thumlers ultra-vibe 45

if you can afford it the thumlers is worth every penny, it is quieter has a greater capacity ,less mess with the bowl design

just to name a few good reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question on medium, regarding corn cob vs. walnut:

Are there any negative long-term consequences for using walnut medium exclusively ?

Is corn cob medium preferable ?

I just got a Dillon CV-750 and will be setting it up for its first run soon.

I'm new to this, and will appreciate any hints from old hands.

I mix about 85-15 corncob to walnut. Plus add nufinish and spritz with mineral spirits every few batches.

Found the thread on here about getting the 50 lb bag of corncob from drillspot.com, free shipping, for $39. Now I'm changing the media a lot more often and boy does it speed up the process. It is untreated media, so must add nufinish from the get go.

I never tried that Nu-finish either. Lord Google came to the rescue with this handy search term: Nu-Finish case polishing

Now there are dozens upon dozens of forum posts to weed thru.

I currently use a Tumbler thumbler whatever and stainless steel rods as the medium. Water, dash o liquid soap (Ivory currently), and a dash of LemiShine. 2 hours and my 45

acp brass is silly shiney.

If I deprime even the pockets are cleaned but I don't do that very often, found it a waste of time.