Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone have a 686 cut for moonclips

JAB

Hi there id like to hear from anyone who has had there 686 cut for moonclips im thinking about doing this to one of my 686. Id like to hear if the moonclips have worked out better then using speedloaders

Edited by JAB

Hi. I have a 586 cut for moon clips. With the moons, I can reload (almost) as fast as my kid with his 1911. I race him man on man at things like "El Presidente" and can shoot right along with him. A few years ago after getting smoked at a steel match with 6 shots in the open class (dot sight) I had it converted to a 7 shot (moon clipped) and put the 6 shot cyl in my 686 house gun. I love those things! BTW, the 7 shot is faster to reload than the 6 shot. I also shoot shortened (.920) cases for a faster reload. Hope it helps. I doubt you will be sorry!

I had a 586, 686, and a 7 shot cylinder that I can use in either gun all cut for moon clips.

I find three advantages for moon clipping revolver:

1. Faster reloads

2. I get all my brass back

3 NO death jam, i.e. no cases under the ejector.

Rich

Had mine done about a year ago, love it!!! The 4" fits in the same speed rig as my 4" 625, but had to have the posts on my North Mountain Moonclip Holder trimmed done a tad as the hole in the 686 moonclips is about .030 smaller than .45. I trim my brass down to .980 and call it .38 SSSZ (Super Short Special Zombie), makes the reloads super fast, and make minor with no recoil to speak of. Yes the cost of the clips sucks, but just ask the RO's to PLEASE not step on them and you'll be fine !!!

TK Custom machined my 686 cylinder for Moonclips a few months back and, with Heathco clips, that little gem is running smoothly.

I will be sending off my Model 65 PPC cylinder soon for the same treatment.

• 5 weeks later...

The advantage for me was keeping better track of my brass. Before you have it done make sure the game you want to play allows it.

+1 agree. If you are shooting IDPA moonclips are not allowed in SSR.

They are allowed in ESR though right? You'd have to load the 38s a little hotter or use 357s to meet the higher power factor.