Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LED lights for inside press on ebay.

KentG

I'm not old, but the older I get, the more light I need. I recently added a surefire to my EDC kit and I find myself using it all the time now.

I have a simple clamp on LED light with a gooseneck that shines down into the cases really nicely. It runs on two AA batteries, but I have never changed them. I even left it on one night over night and it still shines just as bright as with new batteries. LED's don't use much juice.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had one of those goose neck lights from HF strapped to my primer magazine for a while. I was happy with it, but the batteries died and leaked and ruined it. Another reason to avoid batteries.

What the heck. For $11, I'll try rolling my own. I know I have some 12VDC supplies laying around, so I don't even need to buy that...and for a small strip, of say 3-6 LEDs, any 12VDC supply should be more than enough.

My roll arrived today. I ordered

5M Cool White SMD 3528 Waterproof 300p LED Strip Light

I cut off a 3 LED strip to play with. I hooked them up to a switch selectable voltage power supply. At 12VDC, they're insanely bright. They appear to be dimmable by lowering the voltage. At 9V, they're still reasonably bright. I'll have to see how comfortable they are aimed down on the press. As some of the reviewers on Amazon have said, the protective strip for the adhesive backing is not on very well. They also absolutely reek of solvent...like plastic model cement. I unrolled them and put them outside to off-gas.

My press lighting upgrade appears to be complete.

rl550-light-side.jpg

rl550-light-top.jpg

Cost of parts $14.86 ($11.66 for the 5M LED roll, $3.20 for a pair of M/F 2 wire disconnects and a rotary switch from a local electronics surplus shop). The heat shrink and scrap wire, I already had on hand. I experimented with a couple of DC transformers I had lying around and decided to go with a 9V 1A one. It's plenty bright enough, and the 9 LEDs I used only uses around 6% of its capacity. I did spend another $18 on a new soldering iron and helping hands...but I'll use them for other things. I figured my big soldering gun was just too big for this sort of thing.

The adhesive backing on this stuff is not great...I may end up having to remove and reattach the strips to the press. I'll have to wait and see.

Edited by njl

So I ask this question, as I've read varying reviews...

I'm not exactly handy when it comes to DIY so I'll use the price of $40 for the LED kit. Is it better to get the LED kit and look in each case, or spend the money on a powder check instead (650)? I've heard both sides of the story while searching around...any more opinions?

Edited by polizei1

I'm running an RL550B so no powder check for me.

I like to try doing things myself, am a packrat (so for this, I had suitable wire, transformers, etc. on hand), suck at soldering, but don't mind trying it...especially if it'll save some $. If I could have bought the 2 strip kit for $20, it would have been a no-brainer (should have bought it). $40 is a little steep IMO, but I definitely couldn't make a living undercutting InlineFab. I'm actually surprised I managed to solder 4 leads to the LED strips without ruining any of the material. Those points looked small and close together (to me anyway). Actually, I wonder if he'd come down much on price if you bought the lights but supplied your own power supply? Who doesn't have a spare 9-12VDC wall wort left over from some electronic you've trashed?

I spent way too long on this (mostly because I suck at soldering), but had fun doing it. I'm also eager to do other things with the rest of the most of 5M of LED strip that I have. An AC/DC transformer powered lighting system for inside the safe is the first thing I want to investigate the possibilities of doing. But for that, I'll have to empty the safe and find the wire pass through. I already found a 12VDC 2A transformer that should be good for the job...that's nearly enough power to light the entire 5M roll.

I really wish I could have found a cheap source for typical DC power cable M/F with leads (or short M/F extension cables to cut up). Only one the surplus place had was like 5M for $10 or so...and I wasn't spending that much on this. $1-$2 is more like what I had in mind.

On my 650 before I made my strip lights, I just found a single AA/AAA battery LED flashlight, that just fit in the toolhead powder check station.

Shines directly into the case.

I used a spare die lockring to keep the flashlight from falling through the hole.

Maybe a G15 or G19 from HD?

Advantage here is just poke the button to turn it on and you also have a very handy flashlight to look for lost stuff.

Disadvantage, can't use the bullet feeder!!!!

Polizie1, I don't know what calibre you're reloading, but the power check die use to kick some power out of the case.

But then, I have very full cases.

Forget the powder checks. Light and attention to detail are the answer. Skip the LED press lights and go to Lowe's and buy a clip on LED lamp with flexible neck. $15 I think. Clamp it to the back of the press and stretch it into place to flood the platform with uniform downward shining light right into the cases. No wires and stuff wrapped into the press.

Forget the powder checks. Light and attention to detail are the answer. Skip the LED press lights and go to Lowe's and buy a clip on LED lamp with flexible neck. $15 I think. Clamp it to the back of the press and stretch it into place to flood the platform with uniform downward shining light right into the cases. No wires and stuff wrapped into the press.

I have one of those, meant to be a grill light. The base is a clip and magnetic, so I used it for a while, magnet base stuck to the left side of the strong mount. The trouble is, it uses AAA batteries, and I wasn't happy with how long they lasted. This was after the batteries in my HF goose neck light that was strapped to the primer mag was killed by leaked batteries. I reload indoors, right next to a power outlet...why hassle with batteries?

Thought your idea was great Sarge. Then went and read the reviews at Lowes.com. Most people say looks good and works well for about 1-3 months before the lights start to flicker and then burn out. The lights are not replaceable and therefore, the whole assembly has to be junked.

Back to square one I guess.

And another FYI regarding Lowe's. Nothing is junked. Just take it back.

Believe it or not everybody brings their dead plants, used grills, and lawnmowers back for refunds during the winter.

I have a grill light I'm using on my LCT press right now. The light is ok, but it gets in the way more often than not. I'm not wanting to fool around with a cheap light-source this next time around. I want to make sure I can mount it to the press, it'll stay put, and something that doesn't require batteries like I have now. Overall it's helpful, but a PITA.

If this works and floods the press with light, I'd be happy.

+1 on this on. I have one of these on each of my presses. I also use a RCBS Lock Out die as well. Sort of belt and suspenders.

Thought I'd repost my light(and counter) set-up.

With the LED strips mounted on the back upright of the press facing forward, you don't find that the light is too bright?...kind of like a flashlight in the face?

I ordered this LED kit and it does illumintae in the shell plate area BUT I do not get the light into the case like I get with my gooseneck halogen. It is a nice product, and it does illuminate very nicely. However, for me, the light is not where I want it to be - into the case.

So I stay with my nice, bright, into the case gooseneck.

Edited by vluc

I ordered this LED kit and it does illumintae in the shell plate area BUT I do not get the light into the case like I get with my gooseneck halogen. It is a nice product, and it does illuminate very nicely. However, for me, the light is not where I want it to be - into the case.

So I stay with my nice, bright, into the case gooseneck.

Which LED kit did you try? With just the one strip on the inside of the forward upright, IMO, there was lots of light, but not in the right places which gave harsh shadow inside the case. You might actually be better off cutting it down to just 3 LEDs and putting it in the ceiling just behind where the tool head sits. The roll I got, the "waterproofing" appears to be just a bead of clear silicone or something similar and is easily peeled off. It might be necessary to do that to keep the shell plate from contacting it. I stripped it off my ceiling strip. It's not in the way on the upright strip, but I think it may be keeping the strip from sticking at the very top where I have it bent...so I may strip that one too.