Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home made case lube recipe?

MickB

I have been working with melting lanolin in a double boiler and dissolving as much as possible in 91% isopropyl alcohol. For me it works well. I haven't made enough of it yet to get a real formula yet.

I would like higher concentration alcohol. But that gets expensive which is what I am trying to avoid.

I have been working with melting lanolin in a double boiler and dissolving as much as possible in 91% isopropyl alcohol. For me it works well. I haven't made enough of it yet to get a real formula yet.

I would like higher concentration alcohol. But that gets expensive which is what I am trying to avoid.

Everclear. 190 proof.

I've had good luck with lanolin OIL (try a health food store or Ebay) and 99% isopropyl alcohol. Be sure to use the oil version not the anhydrous (thick gel) lanolin. The anhydrous lanolin will have a tendency to settle out of solution in little clumps. The lanolin OIL and isopropyl should also be shaken prior to use, but there won't be clumps. They higher the alcohol content the better. I've tried 91% isopropyl, but I was not pleased with the results.

I've had no issues with 1 ounce of lanolin OIL mixed with one 12 ounce bottle of "ISO-Heet" (fuel line antifreeze). I wouldn't use regular Heet because it is made of methyl alcohol and it is toxic. If you wanted to use more lanolin oil you can. Some have been able to find 99% isopropyl alcohol in pharmacies, but I cannot. ISO-Heet is readily available just about anywhere.

I've also made my own Imperial size wax substitute by melting anhydrous lanolin with beeswax. Lanolin all by itself works very well, but it is sticky and stringy when you dip a finger in it. The beeswax lets you slide a finger across the mixture and not end up with a glob. The more beeswax you use, the firmer the mix. I'd start with about 5 parts anhydrous lanolin to 1 part beeswax and then adjust the proportions to your liking.

A commercial reloader I know recommended this:

Mink oil. It is a paste...rub a small amount on one hand and work the brass in a 1 gal bucket, two hands for a 5 gallon bucket.

It does not take much and works VERY VERY well.

I had a bad experience with a pump spray bottle of Dillon lube...I sprayed brass and then loaded too soon result was contaminated powder and apparent squib loads. This experience was not dangerous just irritating.

The mink oil is all I use now. My second choice would be the Hornady spray

• 1 month later...

buy a bottle of Lanolin oil off Ebay or in a health food store. Buy a quart can of denatured alcohol at the hardware store. Mix a couple of ounces of oil with about 12 to 14 ounces of the alcohol and you have a great spray. When the can runs dry then spend another $6 to buy another can of alcohol.

• 2 weeks later...

I second the lanolin and alcohol mix. I mix mine in a pump spray bottle, dump my brass in a box, a few squirts, mix around, give a min or two for the alcohol to evaporate, and through the die I go.

If the press gets a bit stiff, a quick squirt into the die itself, a couple min to dry it, and off I go again.