Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sights

Malfunction

I just bought a Glock 34 and I am interested in replacing the sights. I was pointed toward a set of race cut heinies from CRG however this weekend I was at the annual GSSF at Richmond ca. and ran into a guy who had a set of sights from Dawson, they had a narrow front sight, I believe .100. What do you think, both methods allow more light around the front sight however the heinies have a fatter front sight. With either one of these will I have to take them to a gunsmith or are they dropin's.

Bill

Malfunction,

Both are nice. The Dawson .100 is a drop in. The Heinie front is abt .230 high and the Adj front is abt .285 high. The wrench comes with the front or installation. You can buy the Dawson Front sights separately.

I have Heinies on one G34 and the Dawson Adj rear on the other. The Heinie has a couple 1000ths more width in the notch and is a bit deeper.

The Dawson's are almost a duplicate of a Bomar picture.

The only down side for the Dawson adj is they are higher and might rub on some holsters. I use a Helweg and have no problems.

Here's what I did for sights on my G23:

Put on a plain black MMC rear made for the Glock and a Dawson Precision Fiber Optical front made for the Novak rear. The front sight is .160 high. I opened up the MMC rear a little with a file and Dremel.

Looks like a small combat rear sight and it's adjustable. The front sight is very low.

With the narrowed Heinie front and backwards stock rear, I found myself pulling the gun closer to my face a lot in practicing for the GSSF match. So I think the wider notched race-cut Heinies might be the way to go. Not to mention the slight tapering of the top of the stock rear sight away from the notch seemed to cause my shots to be vertically inconsistent.

I'm running the race cut Heinie rears with a Dawson Precision fiber optic front. I went through about 3-4 sight set ups before this combo. I really like it.

It gives enough day light (on either side of the front sight) that

I can actually SEE and CALL

far steel/tighter shots much better.

My times on steel courses improved significantly with this sight setup. YMMV

With either one of these will I have to take them to a gunsmith or are they dropin's

Both sets are drop in but it helps to have a good sight tool (ie gunsmith)

instead of punch/push them in.

• 1 month later...

I have found this thread after looking at the VA/MD sectional match stages. There is a lot of steel there, and some plates are over 20 meters away, so I decided I need to get better than factory sights for my G35. I've got myself the Heinie rear and DP fiber optic combo. Installed it and tried it out - great sight picture, a lot easier to hit small far away tergets and such... But I am not sure what happens when I attempt to shoot really fast at the targest say about 7 to 12 meters away. It seem to have a lot more poor hits and plain misses on this kind of targets with new sight compared to the time when I had the factory sights on. Can anybody tell what is going on?

I haven't used fiber optics before, so may be I am missing something. Or may be when I attempt to go fast, I am allining the f/o dot to the rear sight top instead of front top to rear top... May be I should either have both rear and front F/O, or none at all - just plain heinie... Anybody else feels the same???

Thanks.

Vlad D