Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many rifle rounds in a "typical" stage? And how many over

shuter

Guys, just trying to get a sense of how many rounds one might go through in a typical 3-gun match, and how many in a typical stage?

I know I've heard some guys say that a 30 round Magpul with the +18 extension will get them through most stages, so I'm guessing no more than 40-50 rounds per stage, typically?

So, in a 1-day (local) match, how many rifle stages would there likely be?

I know they're all different, just trying to get a sense of how many rounds I might burn through in an "average" match (if there is any such thing)?

There's only one range close to me (45 miles or so) where they do 3-Gun, and I haven't been up there yet. Just starting to practice on my own.

Thanks

In my area, almost never more than 40 on a rifle stage (have had some up to 52) but the typical is about 20-30. For the whole match (local matches), it's usually between 100-150 total rounds, but have had a few close to 200 total rounds. There are typically 2-3 stages that involve the rifle but could be more.

And yes, the Magpul +18 will get you through almost any local rifle stage.

It greatly depends on your match. Usually 30-32 max on a rifle stage

It depends on the match and stage designers and also the region. Up here we see stages with anywhere from as few as 12 rounds on a standards type stage to as many as 60 plus if its an all rifle hoser stage. Most I have seen any stage require was 86.

Pat

In my area, almost never more than 40 on a rifle stage (have had some up to 52) but the typical is about 20-30. For the whole match (local matches), it's usually between 100-150 total rounds, but have had a few close to 200 total rounds. There are typically 2-3 stages that involve the rifle but could be more.

And yes, the Magpul +18 will get you through almost any local rifle stage.

That is typical here as well.

Our local match has a lot of targets at distance (I think the MD is allergic to cardboard). So yeah, there's only 18-20 targets, all steel...but the close ones are at 200-250, several in the 300ish area, and one out at 500 just for gits and shiggles.

When you're shootting stages like that, 'round count' can be a bit misleading.

One time I felt like I could adjust mortar rounds faster.

Man, nearly the equivalent of 3 full 30-round mags on a single stage! Sounds like an assault on a major Taliban stronghold...

It was a zombie style match with only 2 stages that day. There was a tone of targets only about 20 pistol shots and 87 rifle. Lot of fun but the gun barrel was really hot after that.

pat

I agree that the typically round count for rifle is less than 30, but like alaskapopo said some hoser stages can have 50+.

rounds actually shot just depends on how much you want to shoot at a long range target before you give up and take the penalty.

not to name names but i have seen a very seasoned shoot go through the majority of a beta mag from one shooting position on 2 targets less than 200yards. had to reload to the oh Sh#t mag and mop up the close stuff. make sure you know your holds and can make corrections on the fly.

For me, being a novice, I take the number of targets and multiple by 4, if the stage description is not known.

I figure for paper, two hits each minimum. For steel less than 125 yards, 3 rounds if there is a steady perch. Greater than 200 yards, figure 4 rounds per target.

Interesting I was listening to two women talk at the RM3G-Katie and Diana. Take three shots and move on seemed to be their philosophy. They seem to know what they were doing! :-)

3 shots and move on on steel is a GOOD recomendation for almost all shooters, especially in Time-Plus where the target value is not enhanced. I've seen plenty of top 10 shooters tank a stage because they could not hit a long range steel target. Wind, light, humidity changes, make an adjustment or two and if it does not work, move on.

I assume someone calls "hit" when steel is hit, and the shooter moves on. So, could be one shot, but you're saying not MORE THAN 3, right?

As to paper, is a minimum of 2 shots/target automatic? Do they always specify how many shots to take on each target going into the stage?

Sorry about my ignorance...

3 shots and move on on steel is a GOOD recomendation for almost all shooters, especially in Time-Plus where the target value is not enhanced. I've seen plenty of top 10 shooters tank a stage because they could not hit a long range steel target. Wind, light, humidity changes, make an adjustment or two and if it does not work, move on.