Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best caliber for L10 and why?

jnshapiro

Ok, let me rephrase the question. You're buying a new L10 gun. What caliber would you get and why? It's going to be used for L10 and for Steel Challenge.

2nd question. Assuming you've got a 1911 (receiver/trigger/sear/etc don't need work) and you want to change the top end, who would you send it to (please provide contact info)?

Thanks!

Joel

1. .40: cheaper to load, more competitive in Limited in case the bug bites ya, and a little softer shooting (though that is debatable)

2. my man BrianH, on the web at www.experimentalmachining.com or through e-mail at brian@experimentalmachining.com

(the crazy-looking 6" .40 in the gallery is mine)

Thanks BerKim. That gives me a lot to think about. I'm trying to decide whether to convert my single stack to 40 or just buy a new gun. After reading that, I'm leaning toward buying a new gun.

Now....what's legal in CA? :blink::wacko::unsure:

Joel

Joel, if you haven't already head out to Ione/Sloughouse, check out the pistols there, you'll get lots of help.

Personally, I like my Kimber 45 for L-10, although a double stack loads faster for me. The bullets I use for the 45 (Zero's) actually cost less than the 40's, primers the same, powder is less... so for me, reloading is cheaper for the 45 (bass akwards huh?)

Brass for the 40's is so cheap, it's a consideration. If I could I'd get a Kimber in 40 and be done, but the 45 can be used in some other contests where the 40 can't.

A big thing for me is the sights...

But, until you start shoothing the matches you won't know what you'll like, and you can try other gear. Save some money, shoot for xx-months with the 45, then decide.

There's enough choices here (in L-10 and Production), with a few exceptions...

You're referring to the club out there? I shoot Steel and Cowboy out there and am a member. Just been thinking of getting back into IPSC. I shot several years ago and got side tracked with kids and other stuff.

So many shooting sports, so little time!

Thanks for your help.

Joel

Thanks! It was really nice to drag that gun outta the safe. Course now that I'm playing with it remember why I put it in there. It needs a trigger job. Gonna order the parts soon and get 'em to my favorite 'smith for fitting.

You shoot in the area here in Sac?

I was as new as you are now about a year ago, last year August is when I start shooting IPSC. I used my single stack 45, Valtro, for about a year and that gets me to B in L10.

From what I know is that 45 does have a lot of twist due to the diameter of the bulllet. Try shooting strong-hand/week-hand on your single stack and you will know what I talk about. In this game, there's quite a bit of single hand shooting, especially in classifier. If you can't handly that in 45, you better off go with the 40s. It's takes me a while to get a hang of the 45.

Other than that, try and grip on other frame(single/ double stacks) see how they fit your hand. If you can grip right, you can't shoot the best out of yourself. I have an SV40, JUST GOT IT THIS YEAR AND I LIVE IN CA TOO, and it takes me a while to get used to that big handle. One thing nice about the plastic grip of S_I is that you can slim it down quit a bit to get it to the point it feels like a single stack again.

For the quick reload part, it all depends how often you practice the reload. After a year of single stack shooting, I can reload in 1.3s average with my single stack. The best is 1.12s so far.

There are some good and bad point on both frames. For me, I will choose the one that fit my hand the best and practice hard.

In CA, there's still "a" SV model eligable to come in legally in double stack format. Talk to SV and see what they can do for you.

For gunsmith, I send mine to John Jardin. On www.valtrousa.com, you can see what he is capable of. He will take quite some time on the work, but the quality is A++. Most of my club member use Limcat Custom in Reno.

Hope that will help!! ;)

Now don't assume I'm a new shooter :wacko:. Check out my web site: http://www.jspublications.net There is some video in the "Tips and Help" section.

I just started writing out a brief shooting biography but gave up. Sounded like bragging :P. Suffice it to say that I'm no stranger to practice (about 30,000 rounds so far this year, but not out of a 1911 - and hours and hours of dry fire). I'm just new to IPSC and not sure if I am going to play that game or shoot steel challenge right now. That's part of why I'm asking about these guns.

I've a Springfield in 45ACP. I used it for L10 back early in 2000, but haven't shot much IPSC. I shot one match a month for 6 months and then every other month for a while and still made it to 'C'. But I was distracted by some different shooting games.

My 1911 needs a little trigger work. So the debate was to do that and switch calibers or just stick with it as a 45.

Part of why I dragged the 1911 back out of the safe is that my revolvers are out getting fitted with Shelin barrels. They didn't group well at all (4 inches at 50 feet). It made Steel Challenge a bear :o Awful slow to shoot Pendulum or the 4th target on 5 to Go when you have to get a very precise sight picture.

I made several phone calls today to different gunsmiths. It looks like it's going to cost more than I care to spend right now to get a new gun or convert the one I have to 40. I'm a stay-at-home dad, so my budget is limited by what my wife is willing to donate to the cause <_< and by what I can get for selling other guns out of my safe (anyone want some really tricked out Colt SAA clones for cowboy? :P ).

I think I'll just do the trigger work and get on with it. It shoots nice tight groups, so it'll be fine.

Thank you all for the help and advice. It's always a pleasure to find a good group of people to ask questions of. I will be posting and reading often. Hope to get a chance to meet all of you down the road.

Joel

I'm just new to IPSC and not sure if I am going to play that game or shoot steel challenge right now.

Shoot both. Every year (except this year), SC has been won/dominated by guys that also shoot IPSC (top-level IPSC shooters at that).

Listen to the first guy that responded to your post. ;) The novelty of a new gun is a good thing, but just getting out there and shooting is what it should be about... then again, if you just have to have a new gun, there's always candle-lit dinners, massages, etc. to entice the SO (BTW, good on you for being a stay-at-home dad).

If towards the end of this year you're still looking for an STI frame, shoot me a PM... I can help.

Take it easy!