Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle mag pouch: Bullets to front or rear?

shuter

Looking to order Blade Tech AR mag pouches and wondering pros/cons of "bullets to front or bullets to rear" setup? That's a selection to make on their site when ordering.

I'm new to this game...thoughts?

In rifle stages most people use a magazine that is large enough to shoot the whole stage without reloading. Therefore, the rifle mag on the belt is really only for emergency purposes such as a malfunction or a very stubborn target.

My rig has the rifle mag at about 7 o'clock with the bullets pointing towards my spine. For me, this is the fastest way to reload but I haven't had to reload my rifle in a match since I bought my Nordic +18 extension for my pmags.

Thanks. Got a couple of the Nordic +18's on the way. Think I might order 1 Blade Tech pouch, just in case.

In rifle stages most people use a magazine that is large enough to shoot the whole stage without reloading. Therefore, the rifle mag on the belt is really only for emergency purposes such as a malfunction or a very stubborn target.

My rig has the rifle mag at about 7 o'clock with the bullets pointing towards my spine. For me, this is the fastest way to reload but I haven't had to reload my rifle in a match since I bought my Nordic +18 extension for my pmags.

I forgot: so, to clarify, 7 o'clock with bullets toward spine would be "bullets to rear"? Sorry to sound stupid...just want to order it right.

Yes, bullets to rear. Most AR mag pouches are not very particular as to direction. My Safariland rifle mag pouch is non-directional, maybe you should take a look at that one instead. Then you can experiment and find your preference.

I forgot: so, to clarify, 7 o'clock with bullets toward spine would be "bullets to rear"? Sorry to sound stupid...just want to order it right.

I Just use an extended mag with enough rounds for the stage and really only keep the mag on the belt for an emergency. If I do aucually use the mag pouch over just throwing it in back pocket its bullets to the rear for a 30 rounder and usually farther back along the back. If There is a need to do a reload on the sgage or I have to shoot where a smaller 2o rounder is needed I run bullets forward near the front. With the 2o rounder you can index it just like a pistol mag.

Correct answer is always: mount the rifle, run around a bit to get your mind off of what you're doing, then throw your weak hand to your belt. That's how you want the mag oriented. I run left-hip pouch with bullets to the rear because my wrist orientation doesn't move from grab to insertion.

Exactly Matt with rifle mags if you run bullets to the front you have to twist your wrist when you grab the mag to orient them correctly.

If you grab the mag when bullets are facing the rear you just bring the mag straight up in the the mag well.

Pat

My emergency mag is a 20 rd PMAG with ranger plate in a straight mag carrier at 7 o'clock. It seems to work best with bullets fwd, i just grab it the same way that I do pistol mags, index finger by bullet tips. I've only needed it once. I have an angled, tips fwd mag carrier that i put at appendix position for empty rifle starts, not sure which way is better for that but the index finger often seems to feel better for me than the beer can hold.

When ordering from Blade-Tech just order the less expensive injected molded AR-15 mag pouch;

AR 15/ M16 Pouches

These pouches are injection molded . Made with adjustable tension screws for security so those cumbersom flaps are not needed. These pouches are ambidextrous, will work with bullets forward or bullets to the rear. The tension screws will be forward for Left handed users. Available in 3 different colors. Will work with most of our belt attachments

Just try these...no guess work and you can change your mind anytime you want:)

Hope this helps,

Sincerely,

Busyhawk

Seems like most guys carry the 20's bullets forward and index like a pistol mag, whereas with the 30's the majority carry bullets to rear. Makes sense, as the shorter mags seem more normal to load like a pistol?

My emergency mag is a 20 rd PMAG with ranger plate in a straight mag carrier at 7 o'clock. It seems to work best with bullets fwd, i just grab it the same way that I do pistol mags, index finger by bullet tips. I've only needed it once. I have an angled, tips fwd mag carrier that i put at appendix position for empty rifle starts, not sure which way is better for that but the index finger often seems to feel better for me than the beer can hold.

Crap, I already ordered 2 of the higher end pouches from them. Didn't take notice of the injection molded ones. Oh well. May need another for a 20 rounder anyway...that one will be the cheaper alternative.

Thanks

When ordering from Blade-Tech just order the less expensive injected molded AR-15 mag pouch;

AR 15/ M16 Pouches

These pouches are injection molded . Made with adjustable tension screws for security so those cumbersom flaps are not needed. These pouches are ambidextrous, will work with bullets forward or bullets to the rear. The tension screws will be forward for Left handed users. Available in 3 different colors. Will work with most of our belt attachments

Just try these...no guess work and you can change your mind anytime you want:)

Hope this helps,

Sincerely,

Busyhawk

Either way will work as long as you train on it. Having said that though, in the training world, on AR mags, having the bullets to the rear is the preferred method by most. Instructions are basically good grasp on magazine with thumb on the rear spine of the mag, point the mag with your thumb into the magwell. There is no re-orienting the mag in your hand if its a difficult seat, you can just power it into place. Mine sits on my belt at 7oclock also for 3gun matches and this method works best for that location.

Well Pat youy know what they say about "big hands".....Oh come on you know.....big gloves that cost more.

I also run them bullets forward and do the change just like I do my pistol changes, but the point is moot as the O.P. already chose what he wanted.