Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drilling "10rd hole" in hi-cap tubes?

TDean

I'm looking for ideas on how to get the proper placement of a witness hole to indicate 10 (and no more) rds in my STI tubes.

I suppose I could take the base pad off and while holding the tube upside down, load 10 rds and then guestimate where to drill a hole just above the 10th rd?

Through the hole, I'd like to see the follower AND the bottom portion of the 10th rd.

Hmmmm..... :huh:

Limit-10-color.gif

Would the Arredondo Limit 10 Mag insert be desirable option? I'd rather cough up for those than bugger up my mags trying to drill witness holes (something I wouldn't want to do w/o a mill and carbide bits). S_I mags won't be going down in price anytime soon.

Thanks for responses guys. Ron, I don't even own a singlestack man !:lol:

Eric and rishi have the most sensible idea. Ralph's limiter apparatus is the cleanest fix, but I don't like the idea of having something stuck down in the tube like that. I have visions of spring binding and follower misalignment. I'm sure they are good devices, but I'd rather have a hole.

Froglegs gives me an idea. What about using a carbide cutting wheel (Dremel) to cut a thin verticle groove in the approximate location. The o.a.l. of the slot would probably be about 0.5". That would be a good amount of vision into the tube.

Because of the cartridges being staggered in the doublestack tube, I wonder if the "hole" location should be off-center a little bit. Left or right?

Does the follower stay centered on it way up and down the tube, or does it move left and right as it moves? Where is my follower exactly with 10rds loaded?

hmmmm.....

Ralph's plastic blocker seems more and more appropriate the more I think about this. :huh:

You probably could cut a slot, just make sure you deburr the inside of the tube. You might need the flex shaft attachment since the body of the tool is longer and slimmer to get inside the mag tube.

I don't remember what size hole I drilled in my Para mags, but if you have the hole over the primer, one round short will have brass visible.

The follower will move to one side of the mag, on most guns it will be to the right. Just look at the lip running length wise on the follower. If it's on the right, it'll go right. That will be the side you drill on.

It's not as hard as everyone is making it seem like. Just clamp the mag tube in a vice. Use a new HSS or carbide drill bit and run the drill press as slow as possible and use lots of cutting oil.

Just measured where my holes are:

Viewed from the back with the mag in the upright position the holes are on the left-hand side. 3/16" hole with the center at 2-3/4" from the bottom and 1/4" from the left side. HTH. Will show the bottom of the 9th round and the primer of the 10th.

Beven did three of my SV mags.

The holes are right on the money. The primer of the 10th round fills the hole as does the 15th.

I agree with the suggestion of having Beven do it. He will also polish the inside and true the mags to get that elusive last round to go in easily.

I have his new followers, springs and base pads on my new mags. The are GREAT!.

Beven's work is worth more than he charges.