Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preference in 300 Blackout dies

caspian guy

Just wanted to see what the enosverse thought about blackout dies. I normally use either redding or hornady dies. For rifle ammo my preference is not to crimp, and rely on neck tension. I'd be using reformed lc 5.56 brass. These dies would be used with a 650.

Thoughts?

For my 300 boltgun I have had the best luck with Redding dies loaded on a Dillon 550.

For blasting ammo that will hold MOA out to 250 yards I am using Forster dies on a 1050.

The Redding dies are 300-221 neck size only with about .003 tension and a custom seat die.

The Forster dies are the standard 300 BLK dies.

For making brass I use a CH4D trim die and a 1050.

DSC02515.jpg

Peter,

I have been using Redding dies for about 3 years. I like them. If you want to borrow them for a while, even my whole 650 tool head, just give me a holler.

BTW, Tom Freeman (above) is "the man" in my book for 300 Whisper/BLK world. Always my go-to guy for advice. I have about 3-4k of brass that he has converted for me.

Mark K

Thanks for the feedback guys. This will be subsonic AR fodder MOAish accuracy would meet my requirements easily. I got a good deal on a nice looking Seekins Precision barrel to build with.

Planning to use some VIT N110 I have lying around from my old 9x25 racegun.

I looked at the Forester dies but they seem to be out of stock everywhere. So I am leaning toward the Reddings.

Tom i'll likely shoot you a PM on some brass if you are still making it.

• 1 month later...

I'm loading 300 BLK in a Hrndy LnL AP with Hornady sizer & seater dies & I think Lee FCD for the crimp. The occasional hangup of getting the case to line up in decap/resizer is the only occasional problem. It's just typically a little twist on the case to get things straight. In my limited rifle cartridge reloading experience, this happens with .223, .30 Carb & .300 BLK on my progressive with a few different mfg of dies.

USPSA doesn't have Heavy Metal, He Man nor Heavy Tactical. If you look more closely at the Texas Multigun rules, under ammunition, it states that .308 Winchester/ 7.62 x 51 is the minimum for Heavy Tactical. Then, under firearms it does state .30 caliber, BUT, a minimum power factor of 360. No way a .300 Blackout will meet that requirement. It was pushed to make major at the USPSA matches with a 320 power factor.

Good to know, bummer though. 300 blackout is pretty BA but I suppose a tad impractical for sports. Probably not going to stop me from trying to put one together anyhow. But it'll be for funsies now, which is ok by me