Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What notch width for rear sight blade?

jeremy kemlo

I have a 5" 627. I am replacing the sights with a SDM front FO sight .125 width. The rear sight I am going to use a Weigand blade. I can get it in a .125 or .140 notch.The .140 rear should be faster but will it still be accurate for 50 yard F/N Standards?

I have .125 SDM front sight on a 4" 625. I took a file to the S&W rear sight blade, opened it from .125 to somewhere around .140 +/-. I got messed up the first time I shot with it at 35 yards, because it needed to be re-adjusted for windage after the file job. But after adjusting, I did not find it detracted from accuracy.

I use .140, but I haven't tried it at 50 yards. I also have a .125" front sight, but I'd like narrower.

You might consider the Apex Tactical sight blade instead of the Weigand. It is very similar, but steel rather than aluminum.

I use .140, but I haven't tried it at 50 yards. I also have a .125" front sight, but I'd like narrower.

You might consider the Apex Tactical sight blade instead of the Weigand. It is very similar, but steel rather than aluminum.

I will give apex a call and see what they have. If you are looking for a narrower front sight....Warren from Protocall design has a .100 front sight. I was going to give that one a try but they are too expensive for me..$50..His contact info..913-422-8966. Email is wmoore5@kc.rr.com.

Yea, I was thinking about contacting Warren. Last I checked, Apex still didn't have their S&W front sight on their web page. Their normal width is 0.125, but they opened it up to 0.140 and refinished for me. I've got them on two of my K-frames. If I have a chance I will post a picture.

I'm 56, near sighted and use a prescription a couple of cliks under normal to focus on the FS better.

Remember the wider the FS the more target it covers. On my 1911's I like a .125 rear and a .100 fs. Gives a good sight picture for accuracy even at 50yds and doesn't cover much of a target. So far on a 5" Revo I'm using a Millet with I think it's .130 rear and a standard .125 fs, the sight picture is a bit tighter than I like, but haven't found any fs's I like that are thinner yet.

A .125 FS doesn't seem to bother me much, but I would like a good .300 tall, .100 wide classic fs, flat or undercut serrated face, with a .040 countersunk Fiber Optic. That with an old Millet .360 Rear Sight would be my optimal Revo Sighting System.

SevignySightPicture.jpg

That is pretty good. I hate getting into too many measurements, as there are other variables at play. I like to go by what it "looks" like. Here, you have a left light bar that is about 25% of the rear notch, then about 50% of the rear notch is the front sight, then a right light bar that is another 25%.

Light - Front Sight - Light

--25%-- ----50%---- --25%--

Edited by toothguy

I have a 5" 627. I am replacing the sights with a SDM front FO sight .125 width. The rear sight I am going to use a Weigand blade. I can get it in a .125 or .140 notch.The .140 rear should be faster but will it still be accurate for 50 yard F/N Standards?

The Weigand blade, offers nothing over the stock blade, if comparing notch width & depth. The Weigand is a tidier rear sight picture with it's horizontal lines across the blade. More of a target sight, IMO. You can not adjust the depth of the weigand notch, as it's already at it's lowest point. Can be widened slightly as prefered.

LPA revolver rear sight is a better option than the Weigand, in that the blade does not work loose. Both very similar size, shape & appearance.

I prefer .125" rear notch with .115"-.125" FO (.040") front sight. Gives me speed & accuracey

For speed shooting, ICORE, IPSC etc, the factory rear sight is plenty good enough, IMO. As a target gun, Weigand, LPA, & similar, are my preferane.

Cheers, Ando.

Just got off the phone with Apex. They are planning on making another run of sights that will have a .140 rear notch. Scott said he thinks this is a better choice for speed and accuracey. So now .... how long until they make the new sight.