Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What sights are you using?

Trident

Currently I'm using a Dawson adjustable rear .125 and red f/o .100 front which is like .295 or .305 tall, something like that, And I find them too slow or distracting due to the height of the front sight and all the vertical room in the notch. I would prefer something where the bottom of the notch is around the top of the slide, bottom of the front sight, when aligned correctly so I'm looking for something else. Your suggestions?

I like my Trijicon HD night Sights with orange front on my M&P Pro 5". The rear sight is awfully close to a Dawson rear sight, and the bright orange front really shows up in daylight.

Thanks I'll take a look. I'm not a big fan of Tijicon type sights as they do not make as good of daylight sight brightness or daytime performance and the use at night is well...... debatable. IMHO, I question their worth even at night. I think there are a lot of folks using "night" sites and no light thinking they are good when in fact far from it. Most of these folks have never operated and/or shot at night. You should be using a light mounted weapon at all times there is not adaquate light to be able to clearly see and identify the target and threat. At night it is imperative to have enough light to positively identify the threat and be responsible for each round sent down range. If you have enough light to properly identify the target you have more than enough light to see your sights and in this case the "night sites" make no difference. The only, and I mean only time, that these types of sights may be any advantage is at those times at dusk and sunrise when there is low light and again, one can argue if there is not enough light to clearly identify the target and the sights there is not enough light to not be requiring the use of a light.

In addition, any rear sight on a carry or defense firearm, should have a notch or flat front surface to be able to rack the slide using the rear sight for one hand, especially one hand support hand employment.

Edited by Trident

Before you do that google some pics of Warren Tactical sights. The rear sight sits pretty low to the slide and you see less rear sight in your sight picture. I just switched from a 10-8 to a Warren and love it.

If your looking for a sight that does double duty try some tritium/fiber optic hybrid sights. I forget who makes them, tru glo or hiviz. My buddy uses some on his duty gun and they are bright in the day and night.

10-8 rear with a Dawson FO front

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

U notch vs. square notch and what width front and rear?

.140" u-notch 10-8 rear and .100 Dawson front. That's what I use on all my guns.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

If you have enough light to properly identify the target you have more than enough light to see your sights and in this case the "night sites" make no difference.

A weapon-mounted light won't illuminate your sights. A support-hand flashlight won't either.

If your target is in the light, but your gun isn't, you want night sights.

Edited by Not-So-Mad Matt

If you have enough light to properly identify the target you have more than enough light to see your sights and in this case the "night sites" make no difference.

A weapon-mounted light won't illuminate your sights. A support-hand flashlight won't either.

In my experience, and YMMV, when I use a weapon mounted light to identify a target my sights will be back lit enough and I can use my sights fine. I have found that I can engage multiple targets exposed at a fraction of a second in the same splits as full daylight. When engaging in short exposure, high stress, battle type reactive engagements, there is little or no time to focus on dots anyway. IME "night sights" will appear as a black post as will the F/O's. Depending on how deployed, a reaction hand light will cause a lot of back scatter coming back of the gun and sights and will constrict your eyes losing night vision not to mention a lack on weapon control. During dusk and dawn there is a small advantage but really not much one just needs to test. After hundreds of hours operating at night.... ah never mind..... I was just inquiring to folks game guns anyway.

Edited by Trident

In my experience, and YMMV, when I use a weapon mounted light to identify a target my sights will be back lit enough and I can use my sights fine. I have found that I can engage multiple targets exposed at a fraction of a second in the same splits as full daylight. When engaging in short exposure, high stress, battle type reactive engagements, there is little or no time to focus on dots anyway. IME "night sights" will appear as a black post as will the F/O's. Depending on how deployed, a reaction hand light will cause a lot of back scatter coming back of the gun and sights and will constrict your eyes losing night vision not to mention a lack on weapon control. During dusk and dawn there is a small advantage but really not much one just needs to test. After hundreds of hours operating at night.... ah never mind..... I was just inquiring to folks game guns anyway.

I'm the total opposite. It's all based on opinions at any rate!

However, I prefer night sights over a standard mounted weapon light. In the theater of operations I was involved in ... a weapon light made a good target! ;) Then, of course, there were the weapons mounted IR lasers that were night vision compatible. But, we are talking apples and oranges here. The everyday civilian would have no use whatsoever to even have access to these.

In the world of civilian applications and marksmanship I tested and evaluated several "tactical" and practical weapons sights before deciding on the Trijicon HD Night sights. Again ... I don't use my M&P Pro as a carry weapon, so the chances of me ever even using it at night are slim to none. So, for daily practice ... the High Def front orange dot shows up very well in the sight picture. If anyone ever came up with a High Def / Florescent Orange front sight I might be inclined to give them a try. However, there are none on the market that I am aware of other than Trijicon.

Edited by roostershooter

Roostershooter,

There are a couple options similar to the Trijicon HDs (which look good to me, even if the Trijicon price isn't great).

http://xssights.com/index.php?nID=sights&cID=Sights&pID=sights&sID=handgun

XS has their Big Dot fronts and a shallow V rear sight, good for carry, but maybe not as good at precision?

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/smith-wesson/night-sights

Ameriglo with the same style (as Trijicon HD) front and a slightly different rear.

I'm having a hard time deciding what to get for MY new carry gun, but I am leaning toward trueglo tfo.

Roostershooter: Not sure what In the theater of operations you were involved in where "a weapon light made a good target!

But your right used improperly and at the wrong time and place they sure can, " then don't leave it on & move ;')

"Then, of course, there were the weapons mounted IR lasers that were night vision compatible. But, we are talking apples and oranges here."

Even with our 4 tube IR the range of view and peripheral vision are severely limited and for most QCB lights are preferred.

"I don't use my M&P Pro as a carry weapon", "So, for daily practice", ......are you trying to say that night sights are brighter in day light use than F/O's?

I prefer a rear notch of no greater than .140 and prefer .120, and a front of .100. The nights sights have two wide of front sight to be accurate enough.

I have Trijicon sights on my MP5, FH 45 Tactical, HK 45 Tactical and Compact, P30, and several Sigg 226's, as well as a few with Tru Glows which are also bright but too wide for game guns, and probably a few others but again I was asking for a games gun and for that I prefer a thinner .100-.125 front sight.

Anyone using F/O rear sights with good luck?

I keep to blacked out rear sights for competition. I am a target focused shooter and do not generally keep my front sight in focus until I get a little further out. I use a fiber optic front sight like a reflexive dot that is in my vision and usually not in focus. With fiber optic rears it muddys the water a little. I have shot both but do little better with a blacked out rear.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been prepping my competition gear for a night time 3 gun match we are going to do next week. I've spent plenty of time using novaks and a weapon mounted light but never my new Warrens. My experience has been the same as Trident, they all look black to me with light on. The Warren Tactical rear let's you see more target because of its shape and there is plenty of light on either side of the front sight which in this case particularly helps. These sights continue to impress.

I was going to ask that very same question. I just installed a Dawson Precision adjustable rear with a .125 notch and a Dawson Precision front fiber site .100 wide and .285 high on my M&P 9mm Pro about 3 weeks ago. I was trying improve from the factory sights, as I seemed to shoot low with them, but it seems that I am going backwards from my stock sights as I don't shoot these near as well. I have tried them in several practice sessions as well as a USPSA competition today. I agree that the verticle play is way too much and I don't know that i like the narrow front sight either. I certainly don't like the small diameter fiber. I hate that I spent $125 on these sights and have to start over, but I need to do something. Is this the Warren sights that 9x23Guy and Jeremy are suggesting: https://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000A9D-1260212369 ? I seem to do better with a bigger fiber dot than a small one. Are the Warrens a big improvement over the factory FO sights? Also, do the wider, instead of narrow front sights work better for some people? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,

Nope, this what you are looking for and match whatever DP front sight you want.

https://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=800008D5-1212761250

The link you sent has a Warren Competition rear sight that are not contoured the same. Start with what DP suggests to match the rear and see if you like it. I prefer a .100-.115 front but everyone is different.

• 2 weeks later...