Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The love for WST and 9mm Luger cartridge

Art Yeo

I pressed for any collected data or conclusions during their lab proofing, he was not very forthright with that. All he said was with their first try, they saw inconsistent velocity/pressure and decided to dump it.

To me, that sounds like a behavior (pressure, erratic property, etc) that is beyond anything they even want to explore and so, the quick decision to kill it.

Edited by Art Yeo

WOW! The CS rep. must have got up on the wrong side of the bed.

It's a typical CYA behavior when a corporation can smell anything that even mildly resembles a legal issue.

That may be true, however, it would seem that the rep. could, at the very least, answer your questions, while still avoiding any issues.

I think you may be spot on in your assessment in post 16 (full case / fast powder), coupled with the fact that WST "may" be somewhat temperature sensitive.

I've definitely heard people mention to not leave it out in the sun/heat, its 'reverse' sensitive? (hotter = lower power factor)

I've been enjoying using it so far though, no issues that I've found on what I believe is a conservative load. Cycles my stock M&P Pro, CZ SP01 and Spartan (at least I think I tested before swapping Spartan springs...)

That is with the load listed on previous page. Always do your own testing though, mileage may vary. I do plan on testing it with another grain or 2 though, once I find a Chrono to test with.

Here's an except from a 9mm "Load Books" obviously a older one but at one point it definitely proves data was published for WST.

loaddata.jpg

I've seen that data before. When I was contemplating trying WST in 9mm, I spent days searching the internet and collected quite a bit of WST load data for 9mm 115-147gr bullets...mostly anecdotal, but also one or two published sources. I think the data in that image is kind of on the high side, and I really question any load data that gives the same charge data for jacketed and LRN. I found that with 124gr jacketed bullets, 4.5gr WST was enough to get velocity about equal to 4.3gr Universal. I wouldn't try 5+gr with 124gr LRN. In fact, if I were to load 124gr LRN with WST, I'd be tempted to load a few starting at 4gr and carefully work up from there.

I use 4.6 gns of WST with 125 gr lead bullets as my practice ammo. Chronos at 132 PF here in Fl at 85 deg. 4,000 rds and counting over the last 2 months with no issues. As others have said it meters well since its a ball powder. I would not increase the charge since the case is plenty full at 4.6 gns. I may have found a way to get FMJs for the price I pay for lead, in which case I might switch powders since I'm using WST because of the lead bullets ....

• 1 month later...

I shoot a lot of WST in .45 ACP. Max of 4.9 in my 4" 625 clocked 30 t0 40fps over min. in it when I worked up the load. At state IDPA match one of the first 3 didn't make min. The 4th did after elevating the muzzle and tapping on it. It was about 105deg. the day we shot, 80deg when I chrono'd it.

Never thought vgel. would be lower on a hot day. Seems backwards to me. I'm going to try it in the 9mm.