Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 Powder

deerassassin22

What .308 Powders meter well through the Dillon Large Powder Bar? I just started loading .223 with H335 meters like a champ and see they have a load for .308 as well 39.0 to 40.0 Grs. Not sure if thats a good .308 powder. I'm looking to load some for my Scar 17 using 168 Sierra BTHP Match bullets.

H335 will not be the best powder for 168's, something slower will be better. Ball powder, Ramshot TAC has a good following, extruded powders, H4895 and Varget are good.

If it's good in .223 with heavy bullets, it will usually be a good .308 powder with heavier bullets.

BLC2 measures great. IMR8208XBR while being a stick powder meters fairly well. It's well in the burn range for .308 but I haven't tried it in .308 yet. I can tell you it's not bad in .223 but didn't get the velocity I wanted. It's the 1st powder I'm trying when I get to developing .308 loads. From what I saw in .223 and my gut tells me, it will be just like Varget only with better metering.

Edited by Shadowrider

Been using TAC with very good metering and accuracy.

Do you have any Chronograph Results for your setup?

Yes, but likely not any that would be helpful to you. My .308 tubes are 15" and 20".

155 Palmas over 46.0 grains gave me a SD of 4. This load was 2800 fps in my 22" tube.

168 FMJs over 44.2 grains gave me a SD of 8. This load was 2660 fps in my 22" tube.

I have had terrible luck with TAC for accruacy with every bullet I have tried in .223. I have not tried in in .308.

Same here. TAC meters great out of the Dillon measure but wasn't as accurate as Varget out of my 10.5" barrel using a 55gr bullet. Best I could get was 1.5" @ 50 yards while several Varget loads were under an inch. I was going to use up the rest of the TAC and see if I can get Varget to stay within +/-.2 grains until I work up some other powders. Haven't chrono'd either yet.

Edited by Dirty Rod

+1 on TAC. I use it for 75 gr 5.56 long range (800 yds) and to feed an HK91.308. The HK is not a long range gun, so I cant speak much to accuracy on .308. TAC loads well on a 650 and is versital.

Alan,

Call/email me. I have been using Varget for 308 out to 1000yd. Meters well, though I normally do not use my Dillon for .308. I will give you some powder you can try, and give you a few rounds I already have loaded that you can test before you head out again.

NOTE: I leave Thursday morning for the Gator, so get with me before then. I know you leave Friday.

Mark K.

I'm planning on using H335 in my JP LRP-07 with 110 grain bullets for multi gun next season per John Paul's recommendation. I think it is better with lighter bullets that the heavies and it meters well in my Dillon. For my bolt gun I use Re-15 with 175 SMK and they are very accurate loads. It is very close to Varget on the burn chart and meters like sand so give it a try if you like.

• 3 weeks later...