Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Skateboard tape

jjm572

Found a local skateboard shop in the yellow pages. I started a friendly conversation with the owner, told him I wanted some pieces about 6 inches square and he gave me a bunch of scraps for free.

This is the exact stuff I bought and have been using on my Spartan. It lasts a good while (1 USPSA season) and it's super cheap. One $5 piece will give you a lot of uses. I just cut the reflective bit off completely.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_96650-1681-67304_0__?productId=3185621&Ntt=anti+skid&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Danti%2Bskid&facetInfo=

I bought a large roll of non slip tape, 3M I think. Also purchased a roll of what I think is called Repair tape, it's the kind of tape that only sticks to itself.

What you do is cut the non slip tape to the desired shape, clean the grip, apply the tape and then tightly rap the Repair tape around the non slip tape and leave it sit overnight. The Repair tape will insure the non slip tape adheres and conforms to the contours of the grip.

Edited by jdphotoguy

Dick's sporting goods or a scheels or any bigger sports store should have skateboard tape. I still feel out of place going into that section of those stores but at least I don't have to go into an actual skate shop. The last time I bought some it was only 5 or 6 bucks for a piece thats about 10x30 inches or so

I always clean the grips with rubbing alcohal and never had a problem getting anything to stay on when doing that. I've tried cleaning with other things and never had as much luck getting the tape to stay on.

• 3 weeks later...

The 3M stuff definitely has a better quality adhesive. I found the skateboard shops and places like that have off-brand stuff (equivalent to what you'd buy at Harbor Freight). Keep in mind that this stuff will kill whatever knife you use to cut it. Cut it from the back side, with a disposable blade Xacto knife or box cutter. Clean the surface well, and use a heat gun on it after you've put it on. Works like magic!