Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Book for loading Major?

ChrisG164

If you've seen my recent topic "How to load 9mm major" (something like that!) I'd like the best recommendation on teaching myself in conjunction with asking you guys what I need to, on a book for loading 9mm and/or .38 Super Major rounds. Basically stuff that isn't on load recipe lists. I need to know where to start when loading stuff that isn't on your everyday load list. Thanks fellas.

Chris

Since 99% of the loads are outside of specs, I would doubt you will find a book on that. The best place for 9Major load data is here on this forum and some of the other posted online lists, as you mentioned.

Are you looking for a specific load?

99% of the loads are outside specs, I doubt you will find a book on that. The best place for 9Major load data is here on this forum

+1. You'll find all you need right here - and after reading all the posts

for the past five years, it really comes down to:

If you are just starting to load 9mm major - your best bet is to stick

with MG 124 gr JHP's over 7 grains of Winchester Auto Comp or c. 8 gr

HS6, at an OAL of at least 1.14", with 1.16 - 1.17" being "better".

AND, I'd suggest if you're new at reloading 9mm major, that you start out 1 grain

less (PF 155 - 160) for a while - get the kinks worked out, before you bump

it up to PF 168 - 175 = Take your time - go slow with 9mm major. ;)

Some people find that lighter bullets or different powders are preferred, but

they require a bit more attention to detail - start out safe and WITH a CHRONO :surprise: ,

or don't start at all - you can expand to other recipes later, after you've

learned the basics.

There, I just saved you an hour of reading the past posts re: reloading

9mm major - this is all here on this forum.

:cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

99% of the loads are outside specs, I doubt you will find a book on that. The best place for 9Major load data is here on this forum

AND, I'd suggest if you're new at reloading 9mm major, that you start out 1 grain

they require a bit more attention to detail - start out safe and WITH a CHRONO :surprise: ,

learned the basics.

Haha! Thank you for the efficiency! Yes, I don't plan to reload for the open gun in major until I get a chrony. Also, I actually prefer JHP's with AutoComp in my XD that I currently shoot local matches with, so that saves me some money on different materials. Thank you for the post.

I do not think that any publisher with a good lawyer would allow themselves to publish major 9mm recipes, knowing that they are potentially dangerous.

I had a blowout once, and never again will I try to reach major with 9x19. Super 38 is still pretty popular for open major.

I do not think that any publisher with a good lawyer would allow themselves to publish major 9mm recipes, knowing that they are potentially dangerous.

I had a blowout once, and never again will I try to reach major with 9x19. Super 38 is still pretty popular for open major.

Yes but much more expensive after a lot of practice.

Yes but much more expensive after a lot of practice.

Not really because the brass for 38 super and super comp last far longer.

Pat

You know... since 357 Sig will easily reach 1400fps, I don't understand why that isn't used for 9mm major? It is available and much safer to use to reach those velocities. And what about 9X23? I suppose it is the same as 38 SuperComp now though. That too will easily make 1400fps and with no pressure problems.

Edited by Justsomeguy

You know... since 357 Sig will easily reach 1400fps, I don't understand why that isn't used for 9mm major? It is available and much safer to use to reach those velocities. And what about 9X23? I suppose it is the same as 38 SuperComp now though. That too will easily make 1400fps and with no pressure problems.

Magazine capacity. Can't get 29/30rds in a mag.

And on the 550 you can reload super 38 with the same dies.

Wait, you can use the same dillon dies for 9mm as for .38 Super???

No, 9mm cases are tapered.

That's what I thought.. So I assume he meant .38 and .38 super comp dies are the same.. If that's the case, what do I care? No disrespect.

And on the 550 you can reload super 38 with the same dies.

Wait, you can use the same dillon dies for 9mm as for .38 Super???

No, 9mm cases are tapered.

So are super 38 cases.

According to this(and everything else I've heard), they are not. 9.75 at base and mouth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:38_Super_Auto_scale_drawing.svg&page=1

9x23 is tapered.

Edited by DWFAN

learned the basics.

I will vouch for the correctness of the post above. And add a couple things that he forgot to mention.

1. Use once fired 9 mm brass and load it to major only once. (you will find some that will argue with this but my expierence in 60K rounds no problems). My good friend says he does it 3 times, I tried it and when I saw all the primers in the tumbler I went back to once.

2. Avioid crimped primer pocket brass.

3. Check all brass with a magnet some of it is not brass but steel cloaked in a super thin coating of brass. It will load and shoot fine but you need a hammer and a long punch to get it out of the chamber.

4. User a harder primer. Federal Small Pistol are a bit soft. I use Win Magnum Small Pistol mostly, CCI, MagTec small pistol ok. Small rifle primers are good, don't get MagTec small rifle primers with the D they are extremely hard and you gun may not set them off.

5. My OAL is 1.165 with Zero JHP or MTG RN CMJ this length works well in mags with spacers, longer lengths with the JHP drag on the front of the mag, RN can get longer. For mages without the space you can go to 1.275. (will if it will hold the bullet I've been 1.190 in 9 major).

6. Powders, this is my order of preference Silhouette, HS6, AutoComp, AA#7, 3N37, IMR7625. There are others 3N38, N350, WSF. Autocomp is a good place to start since it is not reverse sensative and it doesn't fill the case that much so it is easier.

7. Be advised that changing powder or bullets can move your POI several inches in more than one direction, so always re-zero when changing loads.

8. Find a load and stick with it a while, when comparing loads make sure they are the same pf, and don't trust your feelings trust the timer.

Edited by CocoBolo

If you've seen my recent topic "How to load 9mm major" (something like that!) I'd like the best recommendation on teaching myself in conjunction with asking you guys what I need to, on a book for loading 9mm and/or .38 Super Major rounds. Basically stuff that isn't on load recipe lists. I need to know where to start when loading stuff that isn't on your everyday load list. Thanks fellas.

Chris

May I ask you why trying to hit majors with small bullets is more interesting to you than using larger bullets, like 45ACP?

Chris

May I ask you why trying to hit majors with small bullets is more interesting to you than using larger bullets, like 45ACP?

The reason is because its for an open gun and 9mm major, 38 super, 38SC get alot more rounds in the mag in the same space. You rarely see even a 40sw in open. For a non compensated non open gun there is no need to try to make major out of anything smaller than a 40 as thats the minimum caliber for major in anything but open

Chris

The reason is because its for an open gun and 9mm major, 38 super, 38SC get alot more rounds in the mag in the same space. You rarely see even a 40sw in open. For a non compensated non open gun there is no need to try to make major out of anything smaller than a 40 as thats the minimum caliber for major in anything but open

TY