Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why 38 short colt instead of 38spl

alecmc

INTERESTING QUESTION....

I think..

First: Faster to eject (most important)

Second: Faster to insert

If anyone here reload 38 short, use a standars short colt brass or made short brass from 38 or 357?

What dies use in sequence? I hear is necessary crimp with a 9 mm dies at last

Weel..I made a pic (like everytime i write on the forum :roflol:)

I have some shorted 357 brassed, cut to 38 Long Colt use by one Italian revolver shooter.

On left standard 357, after a 38 special and on the right shorted to 1,000 ", I misured the brass now with caliper

Is not long like a short Colt but he shoot it good and make fast reload.

He do it probabily to reduce the freebore of a short Colt? Maybe it's the best compromise?

Good night! here it's midnight :yawn:

Same dies combination for 38 Long Colt or is possible do it with standard 38/357 dies?

Thanks Jax

I use a short colt set up. Never have tried it with special dies. Don't think it would work, but...

I am thinking the 38 special crimp die would be to long for the long colt brass.

Resize and powder die 38/357 and 9 mm. for crimp is good for 38 Long Colt?

Here in Italy you know we have the 9X21

I would bet the 38 special will be to long. Dillon has a separate die set for 38 long colt. Using a .355 crimp die at the end might cause accuracy problems in the .357 cylinder chambers.

I use .38 Long Colt for ICORE instead of Short Colt because I get better accuracy with the Long Colt, and the ejector rod stroke on my GP-100 completely clears the Long Colt cases from the cylinder. 3.3 grains of Clays and a Speer 158 LRN makes 120 PF easy, and is every bit as accurate as .38 Spl loads.

For reloading I size & deprime with a .38 Spl die. But, I have not been able to bell or seat with .38 Spl dies. Lee makes an inexpensive .38 Long Colt die set and I use their bell and seating die. Their sizing die is crap, and their belling die is annoying but it works. Their seating die works well. I am loading on an RCBS press, not a Dillon, so I don't know if this die set up would work for those.

Hi, all. I use 38 special cases which I shorten to .900. I used to use 38/357 dies which I shortened about .300. The sizing die works (basically) off the bottom. The powder/case bell die and the seating die work off the top, and therefore are too long to work on the shortened brass. I have since switched (I've been shooting this combo for about 6 yrs.) to a 9mm taper crimp die. I shoot 4.3 gr. Win. 231 and use either 125 RN or 158HP bullets. The taper crimp die is much kinder to the plated bullets I get with no crimp groove. BTW, those dies still work fine for .357 loads with simple adjustment. Turns out you don't need those extra .300 on the bottom! Who would have thunk it?