Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Versa Max Mods with reload video

nheiny13

Here is some video of me loading my Versa Max Tactical. The lifter has been welded along with a couple other modifications that I have done. First is opening the loading port which I did the sides but also contoured the underside of the front to help funnel the shells down into the tube. Second mod: When doing the quad load I noticed that the second stack of shells was getting caught on the handguard when inserting the first two. On the VM the handguard doesn't really sit flush with with receiver so I glued in a piece of kydex under it so that it makes contact with the receiver then I beveled it so that there was no chance of the shells catching it.

post-6795-0-61653700-1350122381_thumb.jp

post-6795-0-01498400-1350122390_thumb.jp

Edited by nheiny13

It sure is. Gotta have some sort of motivation while practicing

Nice. One of my favorite bands.

Currently I'm practicing with pinwheels....just couldn't get the hang of the load 4 with the weak hand

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nobody has broken one yet. I believe Keith Garcia is still using the prototype that was sent to him. I still need to remove the inner spring on my Versa's and polish the end of the shell stop. Then I need to aspire to Nate's relaod times! I'm also trying to figure out the best Load 2 system to use....

just got a versa. I was watching 3 gun nation and paused it on a Remington versa with the loading port opened up. It looked like it was opened mostly on the right side (looking at the gun barrel down) , is there any reason for this ? I plan on using load 2 and I'm going to start doing some mods

Edited by Remington4Life

• 1 month later...

Hi Nathan,

A couple of questions for you about the VM mods.

I have bought a Versa Max synthetic 28" (all thats available in the UK). We have cut it down to 24" and fitted a tube (capacity now 12). The way the gun laws are over here it has been almost 3 months to get it on my license so I can take it home, so we have been slow modifying it. The lifter is welded and fitted. We have now opened up the port and filed down the hand-guard but it doesn't load as smooth as my M2.

Next we are going to do the shell latch. We ordered a spare several months ago and it still hasn't arrived so we are a little nervous of ending up with an expensive ornament if it goes wrong. We have taken the inner spring out. How much material do you need to take out of the u shapes? or is it just a case of file it a bit and try it then take some more?

Is there anything else to do?

just got a versa. I was watching 3 gun nation and paused it on a Remington versa with the loading port opened up. It looked like it was opened mostly on the right side (looking at the gun barrel down) , is there any reason for this ? I plan on using load 2 and I'm going to start doing some mods

Some of how you mod the gun depends on your style and which side your thumb is on. The one you saw was that of a right hand loader and you can cut deeper on the right side (upside down gun) getting a little more speed. This is one reason I tell people to practice loading a bit and then grind a bit to see what works for you and your style. The milled flat box that the gunsmiths are doing does help some, but it is not customized to you and there is no ramp in or out, but it takes 5 minutes on the mill versus an hour by hand. James and I both did a shotgun for different people this week and they both look different as they are set up for the specific shooter, not a one size fits most cut.