Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Duane Thomas’s new article

chp5

Duane Thomas’s new article: “The Case for IPSC”

Although I haven’t renewed my subscription for at least a year, HANDGUNS magazine continues to send me the magazine. Most of the articles are not interesting to me, but I do find humor in the articles by Walt Rauch (although the articles are not meant to be humorous).

However, HANDGUNS does publish articles from our fellow board member, Duane Thomas, from time to time. Duane’s articles are always interesting and well written. His articles also have the credibility of the being written by a competitor and REAL shooter (which is not the norm for most gun writers).

His article in this month’s edition is entitled THE CASE FOR IPSC. This is a great article that calls out the mall ninjas and other uninformed critics and gun writers. One of my favorite lines from the article states (I’m paraphrasing): The reason many "shooters" say that IPSC is “not tactical” and don’t compete is because they’re simply scared – scared to get their butts kicked and really finding out the quality of their skills (or lack thereof).

This is a great article that took guts for Duane to write because many gun writers and readers don’t want to hear the hard truths. Go buy a copy and support Duane!

Wish I could read it :(

Liota and I drove all over this half-horse town today just to find and buy that issue (for that article, go figure) and no one carries Handguns. Hastings...some magazines, but not that one. Waldenbooks...doesn't carry gun magazines AT ALL.

Sigh.

Alex

I just received mine today... great stuff!! I vividly remember that line that chp5 quoted..... Heh. :P

Duane wastes no words in this article and is clear-headed, hard-hitting and up-front-convincing with each line. He cites great examples, gives credit where it's due and lays the responsibility for good shooting and improvement right in the lap of the shooter.

"Train yourself beyond what you can reasonably expect to have to deal with."

Thanks, Duane.

Really Good article Duane! Good arguments for the sport, and honest enough to admit what the sport is and is not. I would LOVE to see how some of the top teachers who don't shoot IPSC/USPSA would do, as you suggest in the article.

Duane Thomas--- Fair and Balanced reporting of the shooting sports. He'll report, you decide. :D;)

Liota and I drove all over this half-horse town today just to find and buy that issue (for that article, go figure) and no one carries Handguns. Hastings...some magazines, but not that one. Waldenbooks...doesn't carry gun magazines AT ALL.
I hit every newstand at the airport the other day on my way out to CA-- nothing.. they only had the previous issue.

Wow. Now that's flattering.

I've finally seen the article on the stands, myself. Hopefully it'll be out everywhere in short order.

News releases, newsletters, promotional slogans, headline concepts, flyers/handouts, publicity releases, public service announcements, commercial advertising copy--I do this for a living. :)

(TriggerT did say some well-worded things as well... and he was right.)

I just wrote two :30 radio commercials for a sheriff candidate in Iowa a week or so ago. All in a day's work. B)

Wish I could read it  :(

Liota and I drove all over this half-horse town today just to find and buy that issue (for that article, go figure) and no one carries Handguns.  Hastings...some magazines, but not that one.  Waldenbooks...doesn't carry gun magazines AT ALL.

Sigh.

Alex

Alex

The local Kmart had 3 copies and i bought them all,So if you still cant find one PM me your Address and ill send you a copy.

Great read Duane,I really enjoyed it.

Steve

I got to read this last night. Apparently, I'd subscribed to this magazine - and, yes, I do lose track of what I'm subscribed to :lol:

I'm impressed by the rationality of the argument. So many articles in so many magazines are based entirely on ideology and preconceptions that it is delightful to see some one present a reasonable conclusion drawn from a set of facts and leading the reader to a better understanding. Very nice!

I didn't empathize with it at all, of course, but then I'm in that small % who shoot custom race guns and could not care less about real world applicability - gamer to the core :P:P:rolleyes:

But I regognize that I'm part of a minority and am very happy to see production shooters swelling the ranks ... maybe they will eventually move to the dark side too B)

Reiterating the serious point: Duane, great job in writing a very positive article that may well bring a whole new group into our sport!

Kevin

I got my hands on it today.. Liked the article a lot for what it was.. Like Brian says "if you're going to save somebody from drowning, wouldn't you prefer to be an olympic swimmer?"

I would someday like to read an article about shooting IPSC just for the fun of shooting, but I guess shooting for the plain fun of it doesn't sell magazines..

Hey Duane,

After reading your article, I was thinking about the old "Gun Games" magazine. I don't know who was running that but I would like to nominate you to start it up again. I know you could do it.

Anyone second my nomination?

I would LOVE to see a Mag. like "GunGames" start up. "Front Sight"

just doesn't come out often enough, and there are often many pages filled with the administrative topics that need to be addressed. The big questions is, would there be enough people to support a new Mag. like that, and who has the money to start such a publication up?

I second the idea of an "a la" Gungames magazine. Loved Gungames... They may still owe me some issues...

Have not been able to find Handguns to read Duane's article. Off to Borders today...

Finally got a hold of the magazine yesterday at Wally World!

EXCELLENT ARTICLE DUANE!!

Surely you'd ruffled some feathers with that one... Good!

Edited by Nelson