Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for Production type holster for SVI/STI

I'm looking to buy a holster that I can run around with the pistol holstered. It will be for my SVI and I want it to be legal for USPSA/IMGA/etc. 3-Gun Tactical/Limited class. I don't really want a race holster for 3G.

I did a search for production holsters. Most of the usual suspects (Cen-Dex, Side Armor, etc.) don't list a holster for the SVI/STI guns (mine is with a standard dust-cover).

It seems that only Blade-Tech makes one. Is that the only option for the SVI/STI guns? What are you guys using?

Bennie Cooly was photographed at a 3gun match with a STI in a Safariland holster. However, Safariland doesn't list that gun as compatable. You would think that more than 2 companies would make holsters for that gun. :blink:

I'm currently using the Ulti Ghost and have used it extensively this year in 3G matches. Probably the most gruelling test was the MGM Ironman and it worked. One word of caution...if you go back into the holster with a hot gun be damn sure to secure the lock mechanism. I spent much time in practice performing this drill over and over and it worked but forgetting the lock is a recipe for disaster.

$.002

Although the kydex custom makers can get you what you want, if you're looking for something off the shelf check out the Safariland 560. It's listed as a paddle but Safariland sells the belt loop conversion. I believe TGO uses one.

I have the 560 in both paddle and belt version. I never could really get the belt version set up to where it felt "right." I like the paddle better. The 560 is nice on the gun's finish and seems to hold on a little better than my DOH - Might give you a little bit more secure feeling- but I like the Blade Tech better - seems faster and the offset really helps get a hand on the gun.

Actually my $20.00 Uncle Mikes is the one I use most.

my .02

• 4 weeks later...

The comp-tac locking paddle is my holster of choice for limited and 3 gun. Very secure fit to both you and your gun. Gregg is great to deal with and service is quick. I have three of these locking paddle holsters ( Glock 35, single stack 1911 and an STI ). His mag holders are nice also, and both can be put on with out removing your belt. LOL Keith

I have a Blade-Tech dropped and offset (glad they quit calling it the "Ladies Model", so I didn't have to have Liota order it for me :lol: ) for my 6" STI, and carry my Commander STI in a standard B-T holster. Those guys make nice gear...if you have a USAS-12, now they even make mag pouches for it ;)

Alex

• 4 weeks later...

I previously had a Kytac for my 5" full profile STI. Very high quality holster. Dave does EXCELLENT work, but it took some e-mails, several phone calls and a long wait to get the gear. I would definitely order from him again (it was damn good gear), but I would probably go pick it up in person. :D

Thanks Kyle

I have been making Kydex holsters for about 3 years, mostly for friends and local shooters. I won't go into details here, but if anyone is interested or has questions please shoot me an E-mail

kit@copmail.com

Thanks

Kit Morgan

• 3 months later...