Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Airline Travel - TSA Rules

pjb45

Previously, I traveled a lot with a firearm.

Lately, not so much. So I read up on the TSA rules.

I was surprised by the following requirement:

Firearm magazines and ammunition clips must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm.

I have included the link to the TSA page:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition

The new policy is the locked firearm case can use TSA approved locks from what I have read from doing an Internet search.

Happy Travelling.

For the IPSC World Shoot in Greece, we placed all our mags into a small pelican case.

It looks like those regulations was posted/updated recently (not sure on the magazine requirement).

As for locks, I prefer to use non TSA locks and hand them my keys to unlock the case.

Getting my keys back assures me that they went thru my bags and all is ok.

When I flew down to Florida for the US-IPSC Nationals I had my gun and magazines all in the same small pistol case. I dis-assembled the gun (field strip). TSA did not have to open the suitcase on either flight, they just ran the whole suitcase through the x-ray. I guess its easier to see that the gun is empty when its stripped down, saved a lot of time at check-in.

Ammunition can be in the same bag but has to be in separate container right? Just making sure i know the rules 100%.

Btw, anyone know about how much ammo in dillon boxes is 11 pounds? I'm estimating about 400 rounds but I will have to weigh to verify.

Ammunition can be in the same bag but has to be in separate container right? Just making sure i know the rules 100%.

That seems to be airline dependent. Airtran says ammo and guns can't be in the same piece of luggage.

Btw, anyone know about how much ammo in dillon boxes is 11 pounds? I'm estimating about 400 rounds but I will have to weigh to verify.

400 rounds of 9mm loaded with 115's is just a tick over 11 pounds on my kitchen scale.

300 rounds of 40 cal 180gr JHP in Dillon boxes.

I prefer to check two bags. One with ammo, gear and cloths. The other with guns inside a hard sided case along with any other items I'll need.

I try to make my bags as inconspicuous as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

"Firearm magazines and ammunition clips must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm"

This is the line concerning the mags. I think there is some confusion, they have to be 'boxed' or inside the locked gun case.