Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Run of the mill M4 Suggestion

Sarge

Well guys, I think it's time to pick up an M4. The gun will never be used in competition or for long range precision work. It will be strictly for the impending zombie apocalypse. I will bring it out once in awhile and run a few rounds through it, clean it up and put it in the safe.

I will probably put a low power optic or red dot of some type on it since the last time I tried to sight a rifle all I saw was a lot of black blur. unsure.gif Any recommendations?

It seems like all the key players are in the same ballpark on price more or less with the Colt's being slightly more but not enough to make a difference.

Like I said, just a good solid rifle that will work if I need it to.

What are the specs I should look for? Barrel length, piston, etc. Should I go with optics ready or get a detachable handle?

I'll probably pick up a few thousand rounds of ammo as well. Thoughts on a good solid choice here as well? I'll never reload for it if it matters. Steel case stuff? or go with the good stuff?

Thanks guys. I have ran thousands of rounds through M16/M4's back in the day so maintenance is not an issue but I don't want to have to make a bunch of upgrades nor am I interested in tricking it out too much.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doublestar has some nice basic rifles on buds for like 654 shipped. Throw an optic on it and if you want a flip up rear and your good to go. I have 2 I built off their parts including an SBR and never a bit of trouble with either and they run anything i put in them.

Why don't you build your own? Palmetto state Armory makes some great parts at ridiculously cheep prices. Throw in a dpms mark 12 barrel and you have a solid shooter. They also make very nice uppers and whole rifles for that matter.

It's a well known fact that zombi apocalypses tend to be very fast action shooting so I'd suggest 16" barrel at most.

Also would suggest a flat top so you have a full range of optic options available. You could even put a carry handle on it if you wish.

Another option would be a Colt 6920, known for there poor finish but solid reliability, and available at Wally World, not a bad choice.

What ever you do, I'd suggest you get a move on, I think I heard some zombie wailing down the block during the full moon the other night, so don't think the next outbreak could be far off. :surprise:

Tar

What ever you do, I'd suggest you get a move on, I think I heard some zombie wailing down the block during the full moon the other night, so don't think the next outbreak could be far off. :surprise:

Agreed.

I'm pretty much leaning towards the M&P 15 optics ready for $750 from budspolicesupply. And S&W is offering a $100 rebate on top of that..cheers.gif

Now, will a CMore work on it?

I'm pretty much leaning towards the M&P 15 optics ready for $750 from budspolicesupply. And S&W is offering a $100 rebate on top of that..cheers.gif

Now, will a CMore work on it?

C-more wouldn't be my choice if you wanted to do any distance shooting. I'd rather see if I could find a used aimpoint or an eotech if you want a pure 1x red dot (might look at the vortex sparc). Or maybe a nice burris tac30 for a 1-4x variable.

Well guys, I think it's time to pick up an M4. The gun will never be used in competition or for long range precision work. It will be strictly for the impending zombie apocalypse. I will bring it out once in awhile and run a few rounds through it, clean it up and put it in the safe.

I will probably put a low power optic or red dot of some type on it since the last time I tried to sight a rifle all I saw was a lot of black blur. unsure.gif Any recommendations?

It seems like all the key players are in the same ballpark on price more or less with the Colt's being slightly more but not enough to make a difference.

Like I said, just a good solid rifle that will work if I need it to.

What are the specs I should look for? Barrel length, piston, etc. Should I go with optics ready or get a detachable handle?

I'll probably pick up a few thousand rounds of ammo as well. Thoughts on a good solid choice here as well? I'll never reload for it if it matters. Steel case stuff? or go with the good stuff?

Thanks guys. I have ran thousands of rounds through M16/M4's back in the day so maintenance is not an issue but I don't want to have to make a bunch of upgrades nor am I interested in tricking it out too much.

Depends on your budget. If it needs to be reliable for anything go with Colt, LMT, Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, Noveske. If its just a fun gun

Stag, RRA, Bushmaster and S&W etc.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I'm leaning towards M&P 15 optics ready for $750 And S&W is offering a $100 rebate

I just bought the M&P 15 and have fired only 150 rounds thru it -

looks good to me, for my first AR. The trigger pull is terrible,

but it seems reliable (150 rounds) ...

Believe you can mount anything on these guns - I put on a cheap

1.5 - 4x scope which is fine for me - but a red dot would be

quicker up close. :cheers:

Depends on your budget. If it needs to be reliable for anything go with Colt, LMT, Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, Noveske. If its just a fun gun

Stag, RRA, Bushmaster and S&W etc.

Pat

I'd get a 16" lightweight middy from one of the first set of manufacturers and slap a H1 or a T1 if you really think you need NV capability and another 20m of water resistance.

I am selling a zombie apocalypse insurance product that you may be interested in. For a very reasonable monthly premium I will insure that in the case of an actual global pandemic of the undead you and your family will indeed have the piece of mind that you deserve. If you are turned into a mindless, shuffling, brain craving undead creature of the night, this policy will see to it that your family is protected and that they can continue to enjoy the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed to (subject to terms and conditions as well as underwriter approval). No need to concern yourself with the stockpiling of weapons or ammunition when you can purchase a financial product that will take care of you in the case of social unrest caused by the worlds population being infected with horrible nonsensical disease.

:cheers:

I am selling a zombie apocalypse insurance product that you may be interested in. For a very reasonable monthly premium I will insure that in the case of an actual global pandemic of the undead you and your family will indeed have the piece of mind that you deserve. If you are turned into a mindless, shuffling, brain craving undead creature of the night, this policy will see to it that your family is protected and that they can continue to enjoy the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed to (subject to terms and conditions as well as underwriter approval). No need to concern yourself with the stockpiling of weapons or ammunition when you can purchase a financial product that will take care of you in the case of social unrest caused by the worlds population being infected with horrible nonsensical disease.

:cheers:

:roflol::cheers:

Tuff choices! Colt, LMT, DD, Stag, RR, PSA, Noveski, BC, S&W There are so many good, solid manufacturers. I don't have a Colt, I think if it were me, that would be my choice just because I don't have one and they are a good solid, go-to rifle.

Tar

Yes, colts are not about finishes, not that there aren't good ones, but there about reliability. Most all the other rifles that I mentioned have more consistent finishes, but there is only one Colt.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Cmore would work but I would get something a little more robust for the rifle as the cmore is good for a pistol but not so much on a rifle. Used aimpoints can be had pretty cheap or an eotech. If your looking for a budget dot, the primary arms clone of the aimpoint micro is a nice dot for the coin.

From what I have been able to pick up here and there the Colt's have/had a problem with finishes being sub standard?

It's not that they had problems with finishes or that their finishes were bad, they just didn't match on ARs. I am sure that you have seen M16/M4s that you probaly thought some armorer switched parts on because there was a distinct difference in finish between upper and lower. In some cases, they came from Colt that way.

I have owned many Colts (and still have a few) over the years, most have some difference in the finish of upper and lower, but I did buy an M4 marked LE6920 earlier this year that has an even finish to it. Overall, my Colts that I have shot have performed well and held their value. I don't think they are necessarily any better (or worse)than other manufacturers that I regard as being at the same level (think mass producers), but more people will pay more for a used Colt than other mainstream brands.

Just my opinion,

Hurley

From what I have been able to pick up here and there the Colt's have/had a problem with finishes being sub standard?

It's not that they had problems with finishes or that their finishes were bad, they just didn't match on ARs. I am sure that you have seen M16/M4s that you probaly thought some armorer switched parts on because there was a distinct difference in finish between upper and lower. In some cases, they came from Colt that way.

I have owned many Colts (and still have a few) over the years, most have some difference in the finish of upper and lower, but I did buy an M4 marked LE6920 earlier this year that has an even finish to it. Overall, my Colts that I have shot have performed well and held their value. I don't think they are necessarily any better (or worse)than other manufacturers that I regard as being at the same level (think mass producers), but more people will pay more for a used Colt than other mainstream brands.

Just my opinion,

Hurley

I've seen some bad Colt finishes, flaking, mismatched, scratched. The people who buy colt don't buy for finish, they buy for reliability. If you go to buy a Colt, just give it a real good look over, if you see something you can't live with ask to see another, and keep it up until you find one you like.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Just my opinion,

Hurley

I've seen some bad Colt finishes, flaking, mismatched, scratched. The people who buy colt don't buy for finish, they buy for reliability. If you go to buy a Colt, just give it a real good look over, if you see something you can't live with ask to see another, and keep it up until you find one you like.

Tar

Great idea, but I'll most likely order it from Buds police supply.