Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun recoil management

I'm a smaller guy so when I try to shoot quickly I can literally be knocked back on my heels if I'm not careful. What I found that really made a difference was driving more with my left hand and less hugging the shotgun in tightly to my shoulder. I keep a looser shoulder and driver with my foregrip.

CM

For me speed on steel with the shotgun means a more aggressive stance than I would otherwise use. I probably get 60-70 percent of my weight (depending on the balance of the shotgun) on the leading foot and then bring the gun up to my cheek (as opposed to lowering my head to the gun). Some bend in the knees helps too, a lower stance can help keep you from being pushed back. A higher position of the support hand on the handguard can help with this too.

Another aspect is the gun and load you are using. If its a 12 gauge, consider running 1 oz loads. They can be cheaper an offer just a bit less wear and tear on the shoulder. I usually use "game loads" which are 1 oz of shot at 1290, I feel like the sights come back a little faster than even the "target" 1 1/8 oz loads. The target 1 1/8 loads (2 3/4 dram) still push with more energy, and 1 oz loads aren't going to transform you to a lead slinging, plate rack dominating monster, but I feel it helps a bit.

Watch Patrick Kelley

and Keith Garcia

Replicate either and you will be well on the way to winning. Both are great guys, with slightly different approaches, but two of the very best shotgunners.

May I also suggest Win AA Lite Target loads... :D

Thanks all. Man, some of those videos are shooting FLAT. I'm using regular 1300fps 7 1/2, which probably has something to do with it, plus since I'm new to the game I don't have as much brain power available to set up properly every time. Any shooting teams need a new 3-gun guy with a certain revolver ability? Will represent for ammo and match entries.

Matt

What kind of gun were you shooting? A good 1 1/8 oz load at 1145 or even 1200 fps ie 2/34 or 3 dram will help alot. The 1300 FPS stuff is hoteven out of a gas gun. A 1oz load works too if your gun will cycle it and if you choke properly dosent have any issues with taking steel down. Just dont try and track your sight up and down like you do with a handgun.

That's all well and good, but I kinda question whether he (you?) could hit separate plates at that rate.

Pretty sure I can hear the steel. Eric is certainly no rookie, and with the strength and mass he rolls with...I would not bet too much against him on that drill even with separated plates. :cheers:

SNIP...I'm using regular 1300fps 7 1/2, which probably has something to do with it...SNIP

Matt

The energy difference between 1300 fps and 1145 fps given the same payload, is like the difference between 170 PF and 125 PF in pistol. I can measure a difference on the clock between 1145 and 1200. When I go from 1145 to 1300, my splits almost double.

SNIP...I'm using regular 1300fps 7 1/2, which probably has something to do with it...SNIP

Matt

The energy difference between 1300 fps and 1145 fps given the same payload, is like the difference between 170 PF and 125 PF in pistol. I can measure a difference on the clock between 1145 and 1200. When I go from 1145 to 1300, my splits almost double.

Ahh, that much, huh? Guess I better consign the heavy stuff to trap and buy some Lites. Thanks Mark.

Matt

That is a really good analogy. I've shot lots of sporting clays and as I got better, I started going to lighter 1 oz or even 7/8 oz loads at higher velocities. I never felt like I needed more shot to take a bird but the velocity made hot crossers and long shots improve. The faster the shot gets there the more margin of error you have in the lead. BUT - there is plenty of time for a second shot since you have to pick up the lead on another bird.

Translate to 3 gun - I need to back off a lot on the load since splits are everything. Never thought about how much the of an affect the recoil had.

That's all well and good, but I kinda question whether he (you?) could hit separate plates at that rate.

Yes, I can drive the shotgun between plates that fast. Would I ever run that hard in an actual competition?...probably not. Consider that we all try to manage our loads to shoot one-for-one on any given stage; a miss is at least 2 additional seconds. It's more beneficial to slow down a bit and not run 100% of your capability, to ensure you make all you hits.

Now a shotgun side match is an entirely different story and I will let it fly, but the that's a different game.

The video was primary a demonstration of shotgun recoil control with full power ammo. All 5 shots hit a steel IPSC plate at 10 yds. Phil Strader videod the run and can confirm the hits.

Erik

Erik is no mortal man (Imagine a lighter colored Incredible Hulk) and the laws of physics do not apply to him when he shoots a shotgun......

Well... maybe they do still apply...but just barely... ohmy.gifbiggrin.gif

Edited by Merlin Orr

When I find myself getting rocked back out of my stance I think WWPKD? What Would Pat Kelly Do? He leans way into the gun! Pat isn't a big barrel chested SOB like Erik Lund, Taran Butler, Kurt Miller or Keith Garcia. He is tall and skinny compared to those dudes. So he has to use leverage rather than body fat err I mean mass to control recoil.

good info. I didn't realize there was that much difference.

good info. I didn't realize there was that much difference.

The 1145 fps rounds are easier on the shoulder. I run them more often than I expected I would.