Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have I over-built for 3G?

WhiteRubi

Build is going together this week. Do you all think I over built? If so, what would you change?

Noveske 2nd gen lower

Timney Trigger

Magpul PRS stock

Noveske 18" SPR intermediate barrel with Dreadnaught brake (bought used, might switch to Titan)

LOKI XL free float tube

Young MFG chrome M16 BCG

Rainier Arms Raprot charging handle

Vortex PST 1-4x24

Vortex 2" offset cantilever mount

upper, lower, and tube ceracoated FDE

I don't think it is over built. If this is the set up you want to run with, it's great. Anything in particular you think is too much?

Once it's built get some trigger time behind it and see how it runs. If it runs like you want then ceracoat it.

Build is going together this week. Do you all think I over built? If so, what would you change?

Noveske 2nd gen lower

Timney Trigger

Magpul PRS stock

Noveske 18" SPR intermediate barrel with Dreadnaught brake (bought used, might switch to Titan)

LOKI XL free float tube

Young MFG chrome M16 BCG

Rainier Arms Raprot charging handle

Vortex PST 1-4x24

Vortex 2" offset cantilever mount

upper, lower, and tube ceracoated FDE

Seems fine to me. Those are typically the parts people either build with or upgrade to. Where do you feel you're putting too much into it?

Note: I might change the PRS, that's a heavy stock for carbon fiber tube up front.

CM

Over built? Too accurate? Too dependable?

Only thing wrong that I see is you haven't allowed much wiggle room for excuses. Can't blame misses on barrel, or stock or... See what I mean. I guess there is always the'ol, "The sun was in my eyes." But it looks to me like you have built yourself a pretty well excuse proof gun, and it's going to be all up to you! :surprise:

Shoot, enjoy. :cheers:

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Gas block?

Adjustable?

Noveske non adjustable

The PRS is a bit heavy, maybe look at the Ace or the ACS. The Nordic barrel and a standard lower would also be a good change.

I wanted the weight of the PRS due to the heavier SPR profile barrel, but that's an easy fix if I don't like it.

As for the barrel and lower, they are bougt and paid for. Is it worth selling them to replace with the standard lower and nordic?

Is that the Noveske lower that won't take a Surefire mag? The whole thing seems heavy. You know, why an M16 BCG? What ever floats your boat.

i

I've read that it won't take surefire mags but I've also read that the Surefire mags are not reliable. So I wasn't concerned with inability to use them. As for BCG...that's what the guy building the upper suggested. I'll be the first to admit, I;m not well versed in BCG's

Edited by WhiteRubi

Nothing wrong with your build. I run the same barrel with a full weight bolt carrier and an A1 buttstock. Its a sub moa gun and runs as reliable as any gun that I have seen. I agree with others that the PRS stock is a little heavy, but if it makes the rifle point the way that you like it, then stick with it. I also have a gun with a Nordic barrel and it is sub moa, but the Noveske barrel is a little faster and more flat shooting. I run irons so a flatter trajectory is a big deal to me. Don't worry too much about an adjustble gas block for that barrel. The Noveske is cut for his proprietary gas block and most adjustables will no fit properly and can lead to problems.

I normally shoot He-Man (I could say Heavy Metal, but Denise might sense that I used the "lesser" term :goof: ). My rifle for that is also a Noveske and is very plain.

It sounds like you have a good setup, make sure that it runs all the time and go have fun with it.

Kuan

Edited by ShootfastRunfaster

There are plenty out there that are far more overbuilt than yours.

I think that if there are parts that you don't think fit on a game gun, replace them, keep the others, and build a second gun with them.

I have almost done enough swapping that I can put together a second out of the parts bin.

Certainly not worth selling the barrel. Forged lowers are in the 120 range, so only for $ you could sell the lower and save a tad if weight too. There is no difference in performance, just looks, weight and $.

You already have the parts, good quality parts and it's going to be a good quality rifle. Best not to over think, get in some practice and some matches then decide if there is anything you want to change. Better to over practice than over think. Too light for one is too heavy for another. No one can decide what is best for you, only you know how you shoot and what you like.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Who told you Surefire mags aren't reliable? Noveske did change their lowers so they would fit them, so you know-I'm sure what you read was meant to be good information. Like I said what ever floats your boat. It's 3 Gun,not house clearing with hostages. Or Margaret Thatcher sitting at the kitchen table with a live fire rescue drill. It's fun putting ARs together.

I run the Noveske 16 inch recce barrel and it's a little on the heavy side. I would like to have a slightly lighter profile 18 in barrel. I think the SPR is a bit hefty. My 3 gun rifle is a NST with some changes. The PRS stock does help to ballance out the front end of the rifle for offhand shooting IMO. The Bolt carrier is the right idea but more of a high power rifle approach. I can shoot precision rifle matches with this thing if I wanted, just switch optics.

Hard to go wrong with the Noveske barrels, I can almost hammer nails with this thing. The picture below was not correcting for gusting winds from 3-10 L->R @ 100 yds with handloads. I have had bolt rifles that weren't this accurate.

My Noveske N4

-16 inch recce barrel (my regional matches are rarely over 300 so I don't really need an 18 like the big matches)

-Syrac Ordnace Adjustable gas block (closed - 1/2 turn)

-N4 gen 1 lower

-VLTOR MUR upper reciever

-Troy Alpha 13 inch rail

-Team Warne scope mount

-Surefire Brake

-Geissele Super dynamic 3gun trigger

-JP light weight bolt carrier (coated)

-JP light weight buffer

-Tubb CS buffer spring, extractor and ejector springs

-Magpul PRS stock

On order

Magpul/ noveske 60* safety

Leupold VX-6 1-6 Multigun

417264_10151233228674669_803149094_n.jpg

558599_10151208552469669_1763739016_n.jpg

Edited by usmc0326

Who told you Surefire mags aren't reliable? Noveske did change their lowers so they would fit them, so you know-I'm sure what you read was meant to be good information. Like I said what ever floats your boat. It's 3 Gun,not house clearing with hostages. Or Margaret Thatcher sitting at the kitchen table with a live fire rescue drill. It's fun putting ARs together.

The Surefire mag is finicky with ammo in my experience. Find a load with a short oal 2.30 or less and keep the rounds clean and light (55 or less) and it will run deviate from this in my experience and you will have issues.

Pat