Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 Upgrade Help

ogiebb

Ok for the past few days ive been reading and trying to find out what stuff i need to get my Stock 2

ready for Production.. as per other folks advice i came up with a list of parts i will be purchasing soon, could you please let me know if the set up is fine?..

i intend to polish the plunger, sear cage and Trigger bar myelf and if possible still use a stock firing pin.... any help will be great thanks :cheers:

Must have:

13lb Hammer Spring ( Too Light for stock firing pin? )

18lb plunger spring ( is this good for DA/SA gun? )

8lb recoil spring ( will be shooting 124-125 gr bullets at 1050fps )

Henning .105 x 180 fiber front

Henning Contour textured grip

Necessity?

Henning cone guide rod 4.2 and Bushing

Henning XL Firing Pin (H-XLFP2) ( they said it needs to be trimmed for stock 2? )

Beware that if you put in the XL Firing pin, you have to take out the the Firing Pin Block, and thereby making your gun illegal for Production. Of course, there is an open question of how many CZ production shooters are out there with guns which used to have FPB, but are flying under the radar because very few chrono officers check.

I've heard that there is a mod that can be done on the FPB that can be done such that it works with the he XL Firing Pin. I don't know whether the mod actually installs a functioning FPB, or just puts an FPB for looks.

Im still keeping the FPB because intend to use this for IPSC as well and ive seen a few good triggers with them still active. ive also seen one that has been modified and removed the xl firing pin and has been nothing but a headache it was a great trigger though.

I have a local gunsmith that will do a trigger job on my stock II's , ive also emailed Eric G and he said the only mod he has done to his Stock 2 is that he put a fiber optic front and a 13lb hammer spring :blink:

For Eric G, who shoots primarily IPSC, he has to play with the tighter IPSC production rules than the USPSA production rules. For IPSC production, it's essentially, all parts must be OEM. He can't use any of the Henning or EGW parts. He also needs to contend with the trigger pull weight requirement imposed by IPSC.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, that gun looks completely gorgeous and I'm sure shoots even better! I am in the market for a Stock II for Production Class as well. Can you explain to me what the benefits are to the small framed version over the large framed version? Are there any benefits to the large framed version? I currently shoot an SVI with their Signature steel grip which i believe is just about the same size as the large framed Stock II's so wouldn't it make sense to stick to a similar grip?

Secondly, how did you get one in the US I though only the large framed versions were ever imported here???

-Eli

OK, that gun looks completely gorgeous and I'm sure shoots even better! I am in the market for a Stock II for Production Class as well. Can you explain to me what the benefits are to the small framed version over the large framed version? Are there any benefits to the large framed version? I currently shoot an SVI with their Signature steel grip which i believe is just about the same size as the large framed Stock II's so wouldn't it make sense to stick to a similar grip?

Secondly, how did you get one in the US I though only the large framed versions were ever imported here???

-Eli

Hey Eli,

i think advantage is in extra weight and larger mag well openning. Small frame is about same size as your cz 75.

See you sunday at pinetree?

Can you explain to me what the benefits are to the small framed version over the large framed version? Are there any benefits to the large framed version?

IMHO it depends on what size hands you have and what you plan to do with said blaster.

CZ's, Baby Eagles, and small frame Tanfoglio all feel good in my hands, but the large frame guns feel like they were molded to fit my hand. I cannot get a good purchase on the large frame guns with the thin grips like everyone likes (my hands don't touch the sides). So I run the fat wood grips and that feels the best. A small frame is too small for my paws.

Also the small frame is also more limiting. I have 5 of the pistols (all large frame) and 2 more extra top ends, so I can mix and match to make whatever I need (useful when taking people shooting). I was having issues with my L-10 trigger right before the Idaho State match and didn't have time to mess with it, so I just threw the 6" top end on my 9mm Limited frame and ran that.

But if you have small hands and don't want to ever switch, then the small frame is the best choice.

having handled both small frame and large frame... if you put on a blind fold you cannot tell the diffrence at least i cant :mellow: , the reason i went with a small frame is because of the reliability of small frame magazines but from what i understand the the new mecgars fixed the problem with the large frame mag.

Do people think a stock II in .40 cal using minor loaded ammo with 155 gr bullets would still be equally as competitive in production? Any one have any experience? I already load 40 so it would seem like a pain to start loading 9 too.

I'm shooting almost 1 year with a Stock II 40 on IPSC Production and the guns works perfect.

With a 8 lb recoil spring the gun will work with any reload that have at least 125 of power factor (no matter what bullet you use, from 140 to 200 gr).

The best reload, in my opinion, is with Lee SWC 145 Gr bullets or Jacketed Expo 155gr . The gun works flawless and a cycles a little bit faster than reloads with 180 gr. bullets.

Anybody know if conversion top ends will be available for the Stock II? I'm gonna get one, just don't know if I'll get a .40 or a 9mm (for USPSA Production.) I've got plenty of competition ready 9mm's, so I lean toward .40 on this one...but if I knew I would be able to get a 9mm conversion in case I don't like shooting .40 in Production, that makes my decision much easier (and keeps me from procrastinating the purchase.)

• 5 weeks later...

http://eaacorp.com/conversion-kits/

EAA sells conversion kits directly, seem like a great deal, not sure if they would require fitting or not.

I ended up getting a stock II in 9mm to save on the bullet costs, and it would seem you would get a little more weight in the 9mm barrel than you would in the .40. So far I love mine! I'm working up some loads with 124, 135 and 147 gr bullets and TG, WST and 231 powders. If anyone has come up with their perfect load feel free to post them. Still waiting to get the lightened springs and a few other parts, but i just took the whole thing apart polished all friction points and cut a coil off the hammer spring and plunger spring and the whole thing feels pretty darn good already, cant wait till all the other parts come in. Now the problem is the 17 rd Mec Gar mags seem to be non existent :mellow: I've looked everywhere and cant find any in stock, at a half way reasonable price at least. If anyone has any they would be willing to sell let me know!

That guide rod has never made sense to me. First, for production shooting minor pf 9mm shouldn't be very demanding on the frame/guide rod. Second I don't see how the guide rod ever experiences impact. At the rear of the cycle the slide may contact the frame, but there is a spring between the slide and the guide rod, so unless your spring is completely compressing at or before the time the slide contacts the frame, there should be no impact of the guide rod into the frame just a progressive increase in pressure as the spring compresses. Please clarify and set me straight if I am way off basis.

not even sure how to start explaining that as i didnt stay at the Holiday inn express :D but a buddy of mine has a 6# recoil spring and a stock guiderod in his Limited Pro 9mm the head of the guide rod has digged into the frame making it a bit hard/sticky to remove the slide, im not sure if the metal is just soft or maybe because has 13-15k on his already . i use a 6# as well on my stock 2 and stock 3 's and shoot just 130-135 PF for $39 i think its just cheap insurance...

Anybody know if conversion top ends will be available for the Stock II? I'm gonna get one, just don't know if I'll get a .40 or a 9mm (for USPSA Production.) I've got plenty of competition ready 9mm's, so I lean toward .40 on this one...but if I knew I would be able to get a 9mm conversion in case I don't like shooting .40 in Production, that makes my decision much easier (and keeps me from procrastinating the purchase.)

even if you can get the top end if the gun came as a 40 putting a 9mm top end on it is illegal for USPSA Production division. I know the frame is the same and the only way to tell is the serial number, it comes up in referance to GLOCKs regularly and the NROI has said no.

Mike

even if you can get the top end if the gun came as a 40 putting a 9mm top end on it is illegal for USPSA Production division. I know the frame is the same and the only way to tell is the serial number, it comes up in referance to GLOCKs regularly and the NROI has said no.

Mike

I agree... but how can they police that rule on Tanfoglio pistols?... on glocks and i believe CZ's they have serial #'s on the slide and frame on tanfoglio pistols it only has a serial # on the frame and nothing in the slide.