Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Comp?

Zmego

Like many new shooters I started with the Jerry Miculek comp because it is effective and affordable, but I can't help but wonder if there is something better to upgrade to that will have a "noticeable" difference. I have done some research on the SJC Titan and it seems pretty solid and maybe less muzzle rise than the JM.

Thoughts on the Titan or others I should consider?

Like many new shooters I started with the Jerry Miculek comp because it is effective and affordable, but I can't help but wonder if there is something better to upgrade to that will have a "noticeable" difference. I have done some research on the SJC Titan and it seems pretty solid and maybe less muzzle rise than the JM.

Did you tune it? Did you tune your load/gas?

Sure, the SJC is a good comp, but NONE of them are the BEST for you AND the next guy. This is an issue that will never die because there are just too many parameters/options/set-ups/holds/loads/etc...

What feels good best to shooter A (provided he is like say a Patrick Kelley who has used probably every one made and now prefers the Seekins) may not feel as good as another comp to shooter B who prefers a Titan. That is okay as you, as a key component of the SYSTEM are different from both shooter A and B. Never fear, comp manufacturer's are more than willing to sell you theirs to try out. Some comps are certainly better than others and some with a loyal following, I would not bother to even thread onto one of my barrels again.

I've got a whiz-bang Ti comp that sells for over $300 sitting on my bench. I might try it some day, but there are SO many other things that will improve my overall game and scores that spending the time and money to play with comps is NOT on my agenda right now. Next comp session I do will be this one, the "new" one from Lund, the Seekins and my own prototype...the only 4 reasonable ones I know of i have not yet tried. Won't happen until I have all 4 in my own hands.

If you have not tuned your Miculek, or your load, that might be better spent energy than changing comps.

1348750517[/url]' post='1786896']

It's not only the noise, it's the concussion. I love the comp but it gives me a headache when I am shooting from certain benches. It is the cat's ass though when it comes to muzzle rise, none at all.

+1 or the SJC.It;s super flat when using the right loads but the concussion is BRUTAL!! especially for the RO or anyone standing off to the side of the shooter. I've considered using cotton balls or foam earplugs in the nostrils to reduce the pressure in my sinuses

Did you tune it? Did you tune your load/gas?

Sure, the SJC is a good comp, but NONE of them are the BEST for you AND the next guy. This is an issue that will never die because there are just too many parameters/options/set-ups/holds/loads/etc...

What feels good best to shooter A (provided he is like say a Patrick Kelley who has used probably every one made and now prefers the Seekins) may not feel as good as another comp to shooter B who prefers a Titan. That is okay as you, as a key component of the SYSTEM are different from both shooter A and B. Never fear, comp manufacturer's are more than willing to sell you theirs to try out. Some comps are certainly better than others and some with a loyal following, I would not bother to even thread onto one of my barrels again.

I've got a whiz-bang Ti comp that sells for over $300 sitting on my bench. I might try it some day, but there are SO many other things that will improve my overall game and scores that spending the time and money to play with comps is NOT on my agenda right now. Next comp session I do will be this one, the "new" one from Lund, the Seekins and my own prototype...the only 4 reasonable ones I know of i have not yet tried. Won't happen until I have all 4 in my own hands.

If you have not tuned your Miculek, or your load, that might be better spent energy than changing comps.

The part in bold I don't understand. Either it works and reduced muzzle rise and recoil better than others or it does not. I guess it could be that some people prefer more muzzle flip and recoil? But that seems illogical to me.

Pat

Pat,

I think what MarkCo is saying is that the Titan works for you. You are a large statured male using what ever ammo you like with your rifle tuned to that ammo.

Another shooter, who is built totally different, holds the rifle differently, uses different ammo or has his/her weapon tuned differently may have a totally different outcome using that same comp.

Also keeping in mind some people may be using Carbine, mid-length, rifle length gas systems as well as different weight barrels and it opens up a whole world of possibilities as far as what their "perfect" comp is.

Edited by Brian Payne

Sorry you guys are wrong…there is a best comp, best rifle, best barrel, best scope, best load, best bullet, etc.

Just solicit the opinion of a fanboy for that particular piece of equipment.

Damn it Chevy is the, err... ah Ford is the…Dodge... Oh hell I don't know, I ain't a fan of any of them!

I do have a really good (perhaps event a best) idea how you can get better at shooting…PRACTICE!

Somehow, the top ten in the game aren't all using the same comp, those guys should tune in here and learn something!

Oh and to the OP the Miculek works great…really it does. You won't buy a single "Alpha" changing your comp when

so much else matters more.

>>>forgive me I am a little sleep deprived and cranky<<<

Edited by P.E. Kelley

P.E.Kelley,

Just to get the record straight. Toyota FJ Cruiser wins over any other vehicle (even the Honda Element) for the perfect 3-gun vehicle. Grain Belt Premium is the best "sit around and talk trash with your fellow shooters" beer.

Edited by Brian Payne

Last season my buddies and I got together with our various comps and ran them back to back to back to see if there was any real difference in performance. We ran a Titan, Thunder, Surefire and Cooley. They all ran so close that I could easily make small adjustments to either the comp, the load or myself to produce exactly the same results from any of them. The differences came in other areas such as servicability. Both my Titan and my Thunder loaded up with carbon way too fast and the Titan was just plain obnoxious to shoot. My Surefire was less unpleasant to shoot and stayed cleaner, while my Cooley is the easiest to live with over time. Sorry, but with so many guns and gear to keep clean and fed, I'm really starting to appriciate equipment which is low maintenance. The less bandwidth I have to give up for peripheral details, the more I can focus on my shooting. When I got my JP15, I left the Cooley comp on there and have been 100% happy with the performance, and it is easy to keep clean.

Now 308 is a completely different story. All of the popular 308 comps on the market are drilled out 223 comps. I've now run a Cooley, Miculek, Thunder and Titan in 308 and am unhappy with all of them. With so much greater forces and gas volume to deal with there is a noticable difference in performance from simply swapping out the 308 comp, but I see no evidence that any of them was really designed for 308. Inevitably, none of them really gets the job done and the servicability issues encounted in 223 are 3x worse in 308.

Last season my buddies and I got together with our various comps and ran them back to back to back to see if there was any real difference in performance. We ran a Titan, Thunder, Surefire and Cooley. They all ran so close that I could easily make small adjustments to either the comp, the load or myself to produce exactly the same results from any of them. The differences came in other areas such as servicability. Both my Titan and my Thunder loaded up with carbon way too fast and the Titan was just plain obnoxious to shoot. My Surefire was less unpleasant to shoot and stayed cleaner, while my Cooley is the easiest to live with over time. Sorry, but with so many guns and gear to keep clean and fed, I'm really starting to appriciate equipment which is low maintenance. The less bandwidth I have to give up for peripheral details, the more I can focus on my shooting. When I got my JP15, I left the Cooley comp on there and have been 100% happy with the performance, and it is easy to keep clean.

Now 308 is a completely different story. All of the popular 308 comps on the market are drilled out 223 comps. I've now run a Cooley, Miculek, Thunder and Titan in 308 and am unhappy with all of them. With so much greater forces and gas volume to deal with there is a noticable difference in performance from simply swapping out the 308 comp, but I see no evidence that any of them was really designed for 308. Inevitably, none of them really gets the job done and the servicability issues encounted in 223 are 3x worse in 308.

There is NO ONE COMP! Well done co-exprs!

How do you match a load to the comp? I changed powders and bullets to tune my load to shoot tight groups and pushed the velocity to a point that I was comfortable with to minimize drop. Do you adjust the velocity to make the brake more effective? Does that mean pushing faster or slower?

There is NO ONE COMP! Well done co-exprs!

Nope the Titan is the one comp to rule them all.

(kidding)

I can understand that the performance is close but for me at least it seems that one would have to be better than the other. By better I mean at reducing muzzle movement and making the gun flat.

Pat