Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Needed for 3Gun - BEGINNER

smarcus3

I am completely new to 3 gun, though it looks like a blast. I already own a Glock 17 and a Remington 870 pump (not idea I know, but its what I use for dove/duck hunting).

I would like some advice on an AR though don't want to spend over 1k. Most advice I have seen is pushing towards purchasing a $1,250+ AR. What are your thoughts? I'm sure this has been discussed before, but would like to be given specific models. There are just too many choices out there to dig through.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1000 running limited with irons is doable. Most of the 3 gun ready rifles without optics will be in the 1400 dollar neighborhood though. Check palmettostatearmory.com as they are constantly running specials for you to piece your own rifle together. With the blem upper and lower they have you can build a complete rifle for 6-700 (maybe less) and have room for irons or a cheap optic from primary arms. It wont be top tier but it's more than enough to get your feet wet.

I am completely new to 3 gun, though it looks like a blast. I already own a Glock 17 and a Remington 870 pump (not idea I know, but its what I use for dove/duck hunting).

I would like some advice on an AR though don't want to spend over 1k. Most advice I have seen is pushing towards purchasing a $1,250+ AR. What are your thoughts? I'm sure this has been discussed before, but would like to be given specific models. There are just too many choices out there to dig through.

Thanks in advance.

Get a Stag 3g but its over 1k but its a great rifle at a great price.

Pat

Steve, I'm new at this also - but I 've shot a few multi-gun

matches using only my OPEN pistol.

Seems to depend on where you are - what type of ranges you're

talking about - in Central Florida, I haven't seen any targets

past the 100 yard mark = I know some people shoot at 300 and

500 yards - but I haven't seen that locally.

At 70 yards, and all large targets - you can use ANY rifle -

doesn't even have to be an AR - don't need a scope - I just

bought a S & W AR .223, and put a $100 scope on it and for

very little money - I'm going to try shooting those two

Multi=Gun matches this year :)

I'm not positive, but I think I could save even more money

by shooting an AK47 and the ammo would be cheaper - I've

thought about that possibility. At 60 yards it would be

probably as competitive as the AR .223, and a lot cheaper.

But, if your range is over 100 yards, you'd be better off

with the AR .223.

Just a thought - good luck.

:cheers:

You should be able to find a 20" barrel AR for less than $1K. The general public is fascinated with 16" carbines, so 20" guns are usually cheaper. If you buy a flattop 20" with iron sights, you can run it like it is. Later, if you decide to put an optic on it, you can. I would be looking for a rifle length gas system gun instead of a carbine length gas system. The rifle length system will shoot softer.

Hurley

You should be able to find a 20" barrel AR for less than $1K. The general public is fascinated with 16" carbines, so 20" guns are usually cheaper. If you buy a flattop 20" with iron sights, you can run it like it is. Later, if you decide to put an optic on it, you can. I would be looking for a rifle length gas system gun instead of a carbine length gas system. The rifle length system will shoot softer.

Hurley

Any specific one you can think of?

Steve, I'm new at this also - but I 've shot a few multi-gun

matches using only my OPEN pistol.

Seems to depend on where you are - what type of ranges you're

talking about - in Central Florida, I haven't seen any targets

past the 100 yard mark = I know some people shoot at 300 and

500 yards - but I haven't seen that locally.

At 70 yards, and all large targets - you can use ANY rifle -

doesn't even have to be an AR - don't need a scope - I just

bought a S & W AR .223, and put a $100 scope on it and for

very little money - I'm going to try shooting those two

Multi=Gun matches this year :)

I'm not positive, but I think I could save even more money

by shooting an AK47 and the ammo would be cheaper - I've

thought about that possibility. At 60 yards it would be

probably as competitive as the AR .223, and a lot cheaper.

But, if your range is over 100 yards, you'd be better off

with the AR .223.

Just a thought - good luck.

:cheers:

My range has targets out to 200 yards.

http://www.nelsontac...l.com/store/en/

The above web site has the DPMS 3Gun ready rifle available for $1175

That is a lot of gun for the money.

Entry level AR

Read this.^^^

Thanks for the article. DPMS has a 6 - 8 month lead time currently. :(

Just found some in stock at buds. Any other online retailers?

Edited by P.E. Kelley

I can get the sportical for $594 with shipping. Is the 3G1 which is double in price worth it? Pros/Cons to upgrading over time?

Again thanks for all the tips / advice. I really appreciate it.

The online auctions seems more expensive than the stores (maybe due to shortages).

Edited by smarcus3

It all depends on your cash flow. Shooting the rifle as you build it up over time allows you to recharge your wallet.

If you have the cash, buying a 3 gun ready rifle is a good way to go too….IF it is configured the way you want it.

BUT>>> It is hard to know what you want until you gain experience.

The build up over time will give you that knowledge and if you buy (as suggested in the article) a good scope and great

mount you will be able to add that to the next rifle OR have a good set-up for the rifle you are building.

I can get the sportical for $594 with shipping. Is the 3G1 which is double in price worth it? Pros/Cons to upgrading over time?

The online auctions seems more expensive than the stores (maybe due to shortages).

It all depends on your cash flow. Shooting the rifle as you build it up over time allows you to recharge your wallet.

If you have the cash, buying a 3 gun ready rifle is a good way to go too….IF it is configured the way you want it.

The build up over time will give you that knowledge and if you buy (as suggested in the article) a good scope and great

mount you will be able to add that to the next rifle OR have a good set-up for the rifle you are building.

Cash flow .. now it feels like I am at work.

I can afford either route. If its going to be a lot cheaper to just buy the 3G1 I'll go that route. My wallet will cry, but whatever.

I was thinking of the tac30 1x4 scope and the Burris P.E.P.R. scope mount. Expensive, but seems to be the right thing to get. Will this be adequate for up to 200 yards?

Invest in a better mount. Warne, JP and Larue.

Cash flow .. now it feels like I am at work.

I can afford either route. If its going to be a lot cheaper to just buy the 3G1 I'll go that route. My wallet will cry, but whatever.

I was thinking of the tac30 1x4 scope and the Burris P.E.P.R. scope mount. Expensive, but seems to be the right thing to get. Will this be adequate for up to 200 yards?

I'll try again…

Good luck in whatever decision you choose.

I'll try again…

Good luck in whatever decision you choose.

I am not trying to blow off your advice. Exactly opposite actually. Since I don't know really what will work / want, I think buying the sportical and upgrading as needed is a good way to go. Since the AR is piecemeal, I can upgrade at a future date.

I just wanted to get others advise and maybe look into building. Though, even though I'm an mechanical engineer, building a firearm scares me a little.