Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accupoint Reticle Q: Acog BDC or Holdover Marks

DaveI

Just wondering if there has been any talk or hints from Trijicon about this. I really like the concept behind the Accupoint, especially the green triangle. However, I also really like the idea of some sort of holdover points (chevrons, dots, dashes, etc.) or some variant of the Acog BDC reticle. Plus 1-6x would be cool, however that might be getting ahead of ourselves.

Regardless, the triangle seems clean, simple, and fast (although I've never tried one), and adding holdover points or the like (obviously the ACOG reticle is pretty highly regarded) seems like it should be doable. Add those and you would seem to have a much more useful optic.

You probably know where I'm going with this. Is there any plan from Trijicon to do something similar with the TR24 1-4x or any of the other Accupoints? I'd really like a TR24g, however the range nearest me that hosts 3-Gun has targets up to 600 yards so I'm guessing I'd find those holdover points for the long shots kinda useful.

-Cheers

Just wondering if there has been any talk or hints from Trijicon about this. I really like the concept behind the Accupoint, especially the green triangle. However, I also really like the idea of some sort of holdover points (chevrons, dots, dashes, etc.) or some variant of the Acog BDC reticle. Plus 1-6x would be cool, however that might be getting ahead of ourselves.

Regardless, the triangle seems clean, simple, and fast (although I've never tried one), and adding holdover points or the like (obviously the ACOG reticle is pretty highly regarded) seems like it should be doable. Add those and you would seem to have a much more useful optic.

You probably know where I'm going with this. Is there any plan from Trijicon to do something similar with the TR24 1-4x or any of the other Accupoints? I'd really like a TR24g, however the range nearest me that hosts 3-Gun has targets up to 600 yards so I'm guessing I'd find those holdover points for the long shots kinda useful.

-Cheers

I agree , I would like to see an Accupoint like this. However, if you want something like that now, Meopta has a 1x4 with chevron hash marks. Looks promising.

-Cheers

Been waiting/hoping for about 3 years now..... still wishing for Accupoint w BDC or a 1x Acog with BDC.

I contacted them about this about 6 months ago. Got the response "that this is one of our top requests." There was no talk of when, how, or what regarding release. I personally think that the technology is there for them to build such a scope. The problem is that it would kill the entire ACOG market. Imagine a TR-24 with the green horseshoe ranging reticle from the TA33G-H? It would dominate the market! The TR-24 is starting to become a little "long in tooth," if you will. I think that this is also compounded by the TR-24 becoming a little overpriced at its current price point ($850).

I agree , I would like to see an Accupoint like this. However, if you want something like that now, Meopta has a 1x4 with chevron hash marks. Looks promising.

It does. I still like the idea of an American made product with a tritium optic that never needs batteries. However, yes, the Meopta ZD looks very promising.

Even if they did release it now, they'd be a day late and a dollar short. I wouldn't buy one now just out of spite.

I can understand your sentiment. I've read your review of the aforementioned Meopta. It sounds like you are pretty happy with that?

I contacted them about this about 6 months ago. Got the response "that this is one of our top requests." There was no talk of when, how, or what regarding release. I personally think that the technology is there for them to build such a scope. The problem is that it would kill the entire ACOG market. Imagine a TR-24 with the green horseshoe ranging reticle from the TA33G-H? It would dominate the market! The TR-24 is starting to become a little "long in tooth," if you will. I think that this is also compounded by the TR-24 becoming a little overpriced at its current price point ($850).

I contacted them too. They basically said they've gotten similar requests and to keep checking their website for future upgrades. I don't know if that means "the Accupoint you are hoping for is in the pipeline," or "we really hope if you stare at our catalog long enough you'll just decide to buy an Accupoint or ACOG and forget about the optic you described."

As for killing the ACOG market? Dumb question: why is that a problem if the ACOG would be replaced by one of their own products? Wrap it in the ACOG exterior, rename it the 1-4x (or be progressive and make it a 1-6x) Variable ACOG, price it competitively with the competition that is currently probably a bit more advanced, and sell a ton of them. That seems like kind of a win/win to me.

-Cheers

I was told at one point that the width of the post with the current set up has to match the base width of the triangle for illumination. They also said they have gotten a lot of requests for acog like bdc reticles in the accu line up not just the 1-4. They also said they have been looking into 1-6 and 1-8 optics for new demand in competition and military areas. I personally would live to see them update the 1-X line up. I run a 1-4 in green on my patrol rifle and love it, in quals training etc I'm not that noticeably slower then with an Aimpoint but the 4x has proven to be nice when on perimeter details where I could act more as a DMR/observer type role. It's been knocked around and has held up well and I've been impressed with the glass. It's not as nice as my z6i but for the price I'm very impressed.

-Cheers

Short answer because Trijicon's top dogs must be retarded. We have been asking for this for years not just the three gun world but also the tactical community. But instead they bring us a battery powered ACOG and a freaking Crossbow sight. (last years shotshow) :angry:

-Cheers

Short answer because Trijicon's top dogs must be retarded. We have been asking for this for years not just the three gun world but also the tactical community. But instead they bring us a battery powered ACOG and a freaking Crossbow sight. (last years shotshow) :angry:

That damn media blitz they had and then you find out it was a crossbow sight :roflol: Yeah, I bet they sell more of those then an Accupoint with a BDC, NOT!!! That was when I decided to stick with Tac Limited.

As for killing the ACOG market? Dumb question: why is that a problem if the ACOG would be replaced by one of their own products? Wrap it in the ACOG exterior, rename it the 1-4x (or be progressive and make it a 1-6x) Variable ACOG, price it competitively with the competition that is currently probably a bit more advanced, and sell a ton of them. That seems like kind of a win/win to me.

Exactly. Sign me up. If they could get close to the ACOG's durability, with a 1-6 or 1-8 range, what would not be to love?

Seems kind of silly. How hard would it be to etch in a BDC instead of the black post under the triangle? Does it have to do with the size of the triangle in the accupoint?

+1000. Thin the post, and add a couple hash marks. I don't imagine this would require massive retooling.

My thoughts as to why Trijicon won't respond to us consumers is that they have been getting alot of military $$$. Maybe with continued defense industries cuts, they'll actually listen to us.

I can't honestly understand what drove the decision to not pursue the most requested scope on the market. I know that from a business standpoint, they make far more money from gov contracts than private sales. I doubt they have the bandwidth to make the accupoints in the US and I'm fairly certain that at least the TR24 (and probably the entire accupoint line) is made in Japan, in the same factory as the new Bushnell 1-6.5x (which is why they are so similar). In truth, as long as they continue to turn over the required volume at the required price point, there will be no incentive to change the product. Lets face it, the economy still isn't all that great and everyone weathers the storm in thier own way. Maybe, Trijicon is only interested in maintaining profit margins and not expanding the overall size of the business right now. In which case, focusing on keeping the high yield gov contracts sustained might be thier highest priority at this time. What I fail to understand is why we can't at least get the illuminated mil dot reticle (which they already have) added to the line up. Even that would be something people could work with. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it would at least be a possitive selling point for those who really want the fiber optic illumination and would still offer the ability to shoot at distance without guesswork or dialing. Things like compound and cross bow sights are a quick win to pad profits. They are low tech and can be easily farmed out to china for manufacture. With cheap manufacturing of the product and low start up cost, the profit margins are high for Trijicon and the risks are very low. Even if they don't sell a ton of them, it's still a win. The military already likes the ACOGs and hunters are not all that picky. Soldiers use what they are given and don't often get much say in optics design. Hunters usually pick the scope they want, bolt it onto thier rifles and then shoot those rifles a couple of times per year, at best. 3gunners however are picky as hell and extremely vocal and oppinionated. I don't think there are two 3gunners in the world who want the same thing in a low power variable. We want it exactly our way for cheap, or it's crap. FFP vs SFP, BDC vs Mil, 4x vs 6x, covered turrets vs target turrets, day light bright vs all black, wind holds vs ranging, on and on and on. I remember one guy saying that he wanted a scope with built in leads for moving targets, while another said he wanted a 4x scope with 1200yd stadia. 3gun is an extremely risky market to drop into. Especially in the $1000 range. If Trijicon had done it 3yrs ago (when they should have) they would have sold truck loads of them. Now it's too late, unless they make a huge investment and release something truly off the chart fantastic.