Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

punch set?

e-mishka

Starret, Mayhew make excellent punches. So does Snap On and Mac Tools.

A 6 piece Starret will run about $50, I don't know about Mayhew, and I haven't bought Snap On or Mac for years.

You will also need a good set of roll pin punches, and again Mayhew and Snap On.

I was a mold maker in a previous life, and my punch set of choice are DASCO brand, suprisingly they are sold at home depot around here for a reasonable price. For staking pin holes my tool of choice was a high speed steel drill blank that I ground a 60 point on. But you can also sharpen an old drill bit and get the result.

Ive been using the replaceable tip brownells punches for probably 15 years. I think theyre great. I have bent and broker so many standard punches (Starrett, WalMart, Home Depot, Craftsman, etc) over the years. The replacement tip punch tips are hard and a little brittle but you can replace them cheaply and easily. The 3 sizes are really common sizes used on guns. Most sets you buy from retailers have only 1 or 2 that are even usable on gun sized pins

Ed, like all our products, the punches are covered by our 100%, satisfaction, LIFETIME guarantee. We will replace those bent/broken tips for free. Just send them back with a note. I'd be willing to bet that the bad reviews are from people who use them improperly. I've done it myself, can't find the right punch, grab whatever is closest and whack on it. Those are pretty small punches and you can't drive out the pins holding an AR gas block with them. We have a punch for that, but the replaceables aren't it. Using the short, starter tips will also minimize breakage. Thanks for liking our products.

Larry, I wish I had a nickel for every dollar I've spent at Brownells since 1994! Thanks for the offer of replacing the tips but I keep a bag of tips on my bench for easy replacement. Besides, y'all didn't break it, I did. Don't expect a mfr to replace something I abused in the first place. Brownells is an excellent supplier and supporter of the shooting community. We appreciate that.

One thing though ..... Will y'all please quit rearranging the catalog every year? By the time I get used to finding something, I get a new catalog and it's somewhere else.

But seriously, the bad reviews on these punches are probably from improper use. They are 5 stars in my opinion. I have recommended them multiple times to othes.