Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super in SS

mknpwr

I enjoy the competition. Been shooting production for the last year and want shoot SS as well. I can get an excellent deal on a RIA 38 super and 5 mags at my LGS. It's been sitting there for the last several months collecting dust. I reload so what I really need is brass and dies. As a side note can my existing 9mm dies be used to load 37 super. My Lymans lists several of the same bullets for both 9mm and 38 super just different loads. I've got a box if 147 gn hard cast from Missouri Bullet I wouldn't mind trying in the 1911. Any thoughts?

Sent from my rotary dial phone

Started this thread to avoid the hijack of the SS thread. Yes I know its scored minor, that's not a big concern, I want to shoot and enjoy it. Someday when I have more time and have my A card I'll worry about major. Right now I've got time.

Sent from my rotary dial phone

The only other issue that you will have to deal with is brass.

Of the minor caliber's, I would rate 38 sup (be it sup, SC or TJ) as one of the worst for the cost/availability of brass.

If the gun is 600 bucks, you will spend the savings over a new 9mm with less than 5k pieces of brass.

Thats the logical side, you want the gun, get it!

Years ago had a Colt 70 series in .38 super. Liked it a lot and found it to be accurate and pleasant shooting gun. This one headspaced off the case mouth and not the rim, which is what you want for accuracy. If you have an old .38 super it might headspace off the rim, might want to change that if so. Feeding and reliability with the .38 super in single stacks is great (had a couple SS .38 super open guns, too). The stock Colt's don't have a supported barrel, so I never tried to make major (175 pf back then), but did run steel challenge type loads out of it and it was a fun gun to shoot. Sold it along the way, unfortunately.

The cost of .38 super cases initially is more than 9mm, but if you reload and can get most of your cases back that cost becomes moot. Shooting minor, your case life with a .38 super would be almost forever. Brassing at matches is a lost art now, so when shooting matches you might want to just consider it lost if you are doing some cost analysis stuff. I half-heatedly try to pick up my brass at club matches and get about a 50% return.

Never seen a .37 super ;)...but you will need a specific sizer die if you are loading .38 super. Might be able to use the same seating and crimp die, not sure.

The issue of the cost of brass isn't trivial, and if you are starting from scratch it might be wise to find a similar 9mm.

That said, in many ways I'd rather shoot SS with a .38 super than a 9mm. Good 10 round magazines for 9mm are easier to find today, but there are still a fair number of feeding issues each owner needs to explore. All things being equal, I'd trust the .38 super to be easier to get running 100% than it's 9mm counterpart.

Brass is definately an issue if you go to loss brass matches. You don't gain anything by using 38 super/super comp. Stick with 9mm until you are ready to make the move to 40 S&W. The only thing I use my SA 9mm for is an occassional IDPA Match. I do have a 38 super barrel for my SA 9mm but only have put 50 rounds down the pipe (does shoot great but so does the 9mm). I use my single stack custom 40 S&W for USPA SS & Lim 10. You can download the 40 S&W for use in IDPA ESP. 9mm & 40 S&W brass is cheap & if you are willing to pick brass it's free.

If you do get the sooper, pm me.

I've got a gallon ziploc (~250 ct.) of new Winchester brass in storage to get you started. There's some other stuff too but I'd have to look to see what was left after I stopped shooting open.

Going to swing by the LGS and take another look today on my way to work. The gun will need some sights but since it's gong to be a work in progress I don't mind. I would get to make it into what I want from the get go. I figured brass would be an issue from the moment I looked at it the first time about 8 months ago when the guy at the counter said you don't want that, brass is expensive. Heck shooting isn't cheap anyway and if I'm going to have fun I might as well do it with a gun I can build into my own rather than shooting the Glock/M&P/XDM,etc... that everyone else is shooting too. I've nothing against them, I carry a Glock, my first comp gun was a XDM, I have a 1911 45 already and my current production gun is a 17. I do like to be different.....

If you do get the sooper, pm me.

I've got a gallon ziploc (~250 ct.) of new Winchester brass in storage to get you started. There's some other stuff too but I'd have to look to see what was left after I stopped shooting open.

Thanks, I appreciate it. If I pick it up I'll post the obligatory pics and let you all know.

Edited by mknpwr

If you start adding sights etc I would probibally just look at one of the 9mm STI Spartans. They come with STI internals, they have an adj rear sight and a FO front from the factory. The brass cost can be an issue as your going to loose brass when you shoot the gun and 38 super isnt cheap. On 9mm you can get your brass and then some back very easily at a match.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I enjoy .38 Super in the 1911s. If you read the history of the cartridge, it goes hand-n-glove with the platform. Sure, not as much as the .45 ACP but not far off.

I've always been an Open/Limited shooter but look forward to trying SS with .38 Super (OK, minor but it will make me get more As). It's a really pleasant load to shoot at 135ish PF (I'm sure 9 minor would be comparable).

I have a Colt Series 80 that I've been tweaking -- I run SuperComp (Starline and the Armscor RL). By my rationalizing, I can simply change the powder charge on my 1050 that's already set up to load .38 Super.

Recently, I got a number of Tripp Research's 10-round mags -- no range experience with them as of yet but they look well made.

.45 reloading has always been a pain for me with my reloading room set up.

I understand the 9x19 argument with brass cost but I have so much SuperComp brass given my 15 years of competing in Open that it's not a big expense for me. Also the reason why I've never jumped on the 9Major bandwagon.

I started with the exact setup you are considering, RIA GI 38 Super. I wanted to learn to shoot well and upgrade a 1911. This gun accomplished both objectives, added LPA adjustable sights, Kimber ambi safety, Ed Brown grip safety, fit EGW sear, Koenig hammer, sear spring, STI trigger and other parts, and made it to 'A' class. Great gun, but as you mention, now I am looking for a new 45 top end for Major, it probably won't help my scores but oh we'll. I ru CMC Shooting Star mags and Colts with 10 rd CMC spring/follower. I say go for it and have fun.