Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotshell reloading

Need some insight here. Am looking to start reloading shotgun rounds - 12 and 20 ga. I probably shoot about 1000 rounds a year - might increase that number later. I reload on a 550 and 1050 and like Dillon products and service. Considering the price of shot now (about $50 a bag) - should I start with a Mec (much lower cost) or consider an SL900? Any experience out there? Don't see many posts about the 900. Any input appreciated.

OVW

Mec for the volume you are shooting. Unless your looking for a specialty load, very little money is saved in loading 12 and 20 ga these days. The smaller 28 and 410 alot of savings is there to be had. In shotgun loading the Mec is a great entry level machine that produces quality shells, is easy to operate and isnt too expensive. Next up the line would be the PW and then the top end would be the spolar

This thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=85585

... has lots of good info.

(Just pinned it in the Clays forum.)

From the many guys I've talkded to over the years who have loaded on the SL 900, the main key to consistency with it is to stick with one brand of hulls - preferably AA. (That press was designed using AA hulls.)

Running a SL900 and love it. I would not bother with a Mec...

Maybe a PW if I shot more clay games, but the SL900 covers me just fine for 3 gun and the occasional round of skeet or SC...I can crank out a case in just over an hour average. I have never changed from 12 guage to any other...

Hint; get the micrometer adjustable add-on from Unique Tec for the powder measure AND the shot measure...makes changing rounds very quick.

jj

• 5 months later...

Hello: I just got a slightly used Dillon SL900 for 12 gauge and love it. I also have some conversions coming in 20 and 28(I don't even have a 28 gauge yet) :surprise: I am shooting about 800 rounds a month right now and my son will soon be shooting the same. I think it will pay for itself in about a year or so. I also like the fact I can load 1oz,1 1/8oz or even 7/8oz loads with Remington Gun Club hulls. I am saving about $2.50 a box here in New Mexico. Thanks, Eric

• 2 months later...

I've had a MEC Sizemaster for 20+ years. It's slow and messy.

I have a new SL-900 (about 800 rounds through it so far). It's great. My brother and I shoot about 8000-10000 rounds per year each. Plus, I have 20+ years of AA hulls (maybe 20000?). Dillon press made sense to me. I can make a box (25) of shells for about $5.50 at current component prices. I can also ensure I have ammo for clays tournaments vs. finding empty shelves at the local gun shop.

For 1000 rounds per year of 12 gauge I think I'd just buy them. Winchester has a promotion they have run for the last few years for $2.00 off per box of AA's. I recommend you invest your money in factory ammo until you accumulate a big stack of hulls. If you're still at 1000/yr either press will do. The Dillon press works great. The Sizemaster is just okay. It takes a LOT of reloading to recoup the startup costs for 12 gauge.

Solution: Shoot more to justify buying a reloader!

Wow - sitting here eating lunch and clicking around the forums and saw my post from last summer! All good advice on this thread - I had never reloaded shotgun rounds when I had written this. FWIW - I ended up buying a PW 375 single stage off of Craigslist for under $100, The press needed a good clean and polish - and with the right components - I was cranking out some good looking 12 gauge shells in no time. My goal was low recoil rounds for the Cowboy Action monthly shoots. I called Ponsness in Idaho (nice people BTW) and ordered the 20 gauge die set and mounted it to the tool head - so I have both gauges on the same press. Glad I did it - the shells are loaded the way I want, and the pickin's are slim on the ammo shelves around here now. If I ever start shooting clay sports and up my round count, I will start looking at the progressives again.

Cheers -

OVW