Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just Picked up a 24" JM Pro Series 930, few questions

RippSpeed

I just picked one up today a 24" JM Pro series 930... And I wanted to ask if the stock accu-choke good to go for slugs??? And I wanted to run an extended choke to protect my Nordic extended end cap. what do you guys suggest for an extended choke ( I'll be in tac-ops) that's good for slugs and bird???

I'm not new to the 930... I actually have a modified 930spx already. which I plan on selling to cover this JM Pro purchase.

I have JM Pro with a 22" barrel and have done quite a bit of testing in the last three weeks. I purchased a Full and Mod extended tube from Carlson and tested them with various 7 1/2 loads on a pattern target at 40 yards. I found that most times the factory chokes out performed the extended tubes. My JM shoots patterns approximately 6" high with slugs and the shot pattern as well. Spoke to Benny at the ar15.com match this past weekend and he told me how to bend the barrel to get it to shoot POA. I am going to give it a go when time permits.

I'm curious - how do you bend the barrel?

Mick

I have JM Pro with a 22" barrel and have done quite a bit of testing in the last three weeks. I purchased a Full and Mod extended tube from Carlson and tested them with various 7 1/2 loads on a pattern target at 40 yards. I found that most times the factory chokes out performed the extended tubes. My JM shoots patterns approximately 6" high with slugs and the shot pattern as well. Spoke to Benny at the ar15.com match this past weekend and he told me how to bend the barrel to get it to shoot POA. I am going to give it a go when time permits.

there's a thread on it. I think Jesse T took photos. Did it to my Benelli, worked fine. Tried a tree but had better luck with a telephone pole. Scary. Not a baseball swing, more like flyswatter or badminton.

wow, that is insane! IS there a reason you just cant shim the stock to get the correct the issue?

I had already tripled the "wedge" of the cast shim and moved the stock over so far that it's tough to get a thinwall socket on the nut that holds the stock to the action spring tube. Still needed to go about 6" right. Jerry M told me to hit it a couple of inches in front of the ring that fits over the mag tube. Couple of light taps, reassemble, take it to the range and pattern. I was prepared to do it again, at the range but didn't need to. It's an old method that's been used for years. Most shooters need some cast to the stock, bending barrel accomplishes the same thing without cutting or bending and then refinishing the stock.

I had already tripled the "wedge" of the cast shim and moved the stock over so far that it's tough to get a thinwall socket on the nut that holds the stock to the action spring tube. Still needed to go about 6" right. Jerry M told me to hit it a couple of inches in front of the ring that fits over the mag tube. Couple of light taps, reassemble, take it to the range and pattern. I was prepared to do it again, at the range but didn't need to. It's an old method that's been used for years. Most shooters need some cast to the stock, bending barrel accomplishes the same thing without cutting or bending and then refinishing the stock.

Intriguing

Which end of the barrel do you hold and if you hit the rib wont it bend? I have a win sx2 barrel that needs some bending.

shane

I just did this at the range a few weeks ago. Just hold the barrel by the end that goes into the gun and hit the pole just in front of the part that goes around the mag tube. My 930 was hitting 10" high at 50 yards. I was able to get it to 6" high but couldn't drop it any further as I think the vent rib prevented any more movement. Start out with light swings and work your way up if the light swings don't work. I probably went back and forth to the telephone pole 6 times.

i have stated before i see no advantage to extended chokes except to even the bbl and tube length.

since being a 3-gunner and a a.a. sporting clays shooter for over 15 yrs, i have tried them all

p.o.i. i never bent a bbl but took a battery powered drill to the pattern board and ground down a choke to get the pattern i wanted. shoot a Remington so all Rem's shoot 60-hi/40-low as they were trap company 1st.

took a mod choke and ground .020 off the top and bottom to STRING the shot on poppers vertically. works well.

clays same way. string shot pattern works as most birds in 3 gun are flying straight out. (i.e. rock castle, shot from right behind the thrower).

hope this helps. has always worked for me

shoot 2 loads

3-3/4Dr-1-3/4 oz of 9's as Jeff cramlit says. "a big black cloud" going down range. green

3-1/4Dr-1-3/4 oz of 4/6's doesn't seem to matter much which. red

3 chokes + rifle choke. j.i.c.

i.c.

mod (tuned)

l.f.

use all 3 at r/c

good luck

jjw

i have stated before i see no advantage to extended chokes except to even the bbl and tube length.

since being a 3-gunner and a a.a. sporting clays shooter for over 15 yrs, i have tried them all

jjw

Have to jump in here...since this is a Multigun forum...Some of us change chokes from almost stage to stage I love the extended choke just for ease of change (jjw, I am with you on they don't really have any other advantage unless in a Multigun rule it stipulates that the tube can't be X longer than the barrel)! A lot of barrels are shorter than the magazine tube so choke tools suck/are harder to use instead of just fingering the chokes out and in. Oh, and since I am almost blind...the Briley extended choke tubes are colored instead of looking for some very small witness marks on the end of the stock choke tubes :wacko:

Respectfully,

Busyhawk