Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trubor

38supPat

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very happy with mine, also in .38 super. I probably was in the ballpark of 60k on it prior to switching back to production. Made master with it.

I did some minor tuning: tuned the extractor for better feeding w/ lighter recoil springs, made it so the slide wouldn't lock back, stippled the grip. That's about it. It ran like a swiss watch.

I did lighten the slide which helped greatly (did it myself with a drill press, just cheesed it with some holes).

Been too long since I shot it to recall exact grouping, but it was plenty accurate.

-rvb

You can buy all the top end parts from Brazos, part-way fitted and with his improvements to the comp built in. Bob was nice enough to explain for me the fitting sequence for a Trubor, where you can't just turn the comp down another turn or trim the slide back, you have to fit the 2 parts to each other. Not every smith knows how to do that.

Also the couple times I shot with Max he was using an AMU-tuned factory Trubor in Supercomp with very little done to it other than 2 or 3 ports thru the slide & barrel cone; he was completely happy with it.

Edited by eric nielsen

Figured I'd chime back in, since I got the bugs worked out of mine it has been flawless. Only operator errors from that point on.

Just be ready to tune it, or have buy from someone that has already done the leg work for you. Overall, I'd say it's worth it. And that's my answer with a clear conscious and being a happy Trubor owner now

Well quite a few things, but what ended up making mine run was a lot (a really really lot) of extractor tension, tuning the extractor, and "tuning" the ejector. Ended up taking a few thousandths off the ejector and had it filed toward the barrel, rather than what you would think of taking it off the side exposed through the ejection port.

Long story short, shorter ejector that was tuned, tuned extractor with a lot of extractor tension and obviously the other normal stuff with mags and getting your ammo in spec for your gun.

It took a bit of time to get it figured out, had a very skilled smith look at it multiple times as well as an open shooter that is pretty familiar with 9Major.

It sounds fairly simple I know, but it took about 4-5 tries before we came to the solution that worked for my gun

For me it was both. I sent it to STI and they sent it back with a "hook" style cut. It actually is less that 90 degrees if you looked downward on it. After getting it back, it still didn't run.

After that, simply bumping up the tension solved all of the issues

• 1 year later...

Lol...Aftec was installed soon after I started shooting it thought I'd give it a try with the stock one but it was tuned for super not super comp so I through one of my back up aftecs in it.

Right now I'm not doing anything with it. Its flat and soft and I was running some really good times with it already. Needs a bit of a trigger job but thats it.

Lol...Aftec was installed soon after I started shooting it thought I'd give it a try with the stock one but it was tuned for super not super comp so I through one of my back up aftecs in it.

Right now I'm not doing anything with it. Its flat and soft and I was running some really good times with it already. Needs a bit of a trigger job but thats it.

That's great, I wish you the best of luck with it.

Hope yours runs as well as mine has.

Only thing I've done is aftec extractor, adjust the trigger, and a Dawson Ice magwell

It keeps running and running.

B class shooter, when I hit A I'm gonna play with lighting the slide maybe.

I have an STI open. It has always been very accurate but took a while to get all the bugs out. Extractor and ejector adjustments, polishing.ect. Now it runs great with pointed bullets but does not like anything with a flat point. Heavy oil on the barrel lugs makes a big difference too.

So far it has been 100% reliable with both round nose and zero jhp-c (which is probably the hardest profile to feed) and no failures to extract/eject and all I did was fit a supercomp aftec.

Slide to frame fit is as good as I've seen and it shoots flat and soft.

For fun I ran a quasi bill drill at 15m (no draw, it was raining and I had a jacket on so I ran from a low ready) I ran all A's in 1.91 with .19-.20 splits.

Works for me!

I've moved up from limited and gotten an STI trubor. I don't hand load (yet) so i get my ammo from Universal Shooting Academy and it runs like a champ. I'm still getting used to the fact that its lighter and letting the compensator work. But overall. LOVE IT and wish I had started with this in the beginning.

What OAL are you running on JHP?

On the Zero JHP-C I'm running 1.225 OAL

I'll try the shorter oal with MG HP. I'm running 1.255 right now on RN.

Edited by klee