Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Book...

Ben Stoeger

I have been approached to co-author an E-book on training for shooting competition.

Questions:

What do you guys think of E-books?

What would you like to see in it?

What is a reasonable price point?

I think if we do an E-book that does well I could maybe do an ACTUAL book later on.

What does the peanut gallery say?

I like them, I travel a lot so e-books are great for saving space.

What would I like to see, how about doing one for those of us that cant make it to the range that often. Dry firing, but try to make it interesting and fun. The good things about e-books is that you can link videos to the book. Say here is the drill, now watch as I perform it then its your turn and so on.

Make it interactive...

Title: Shooting in Sandals

What do you guys think of E-books?

I've come to accept that I have far too many physical books, and I'm growing to like e-books -- but my experience with Kindle books suggests that the format is best for reading pure text, in order. Image quality is poor, flipping through the book is slow, and you can't use it as a workbook, where you'd, say, write down your times on drills.

Other e-book formats might work splendidly though.

What would you like to see in it?

Less is more. Please don't pad it out.

I'm an older guy that's new to the sport and shooting (a bit over a year). I've read several books, bought DVDs, taken lessons as well as spent time on web sites like this and YouTube.

For me it's video. You can elaborate lots with text but I learn much faster and grasp concepts or instruction better watching video, then I like to read text for more depth on the subject.

For example Mike Seeklander's book is slightly better for me than Steve Anderson's because I could get Mike's DVDs.

If you could combine video (maybe just links to short ones on your web site) with in depth text, it would be a winner for guys like me.

Ironically- I'm starting to really enjoy the Kindle format. I love that I can read them on my iPhone, Mac and/or Kindle Fire. Graphics seem to work out just fine, no issues with the Kindle BE book I have. I'm pretty sure you can make notes as well.

$10 seems a typical price for a good Kindle book.

I always enjoy hearing other shooter's training ideas/techniques. Some things I'd like to hear about:

Breaking through barriers, how to focus on what will yield the best returns for a shooter that has limited time/budget, How to self diagnose problems. etc.

Everyone seems to have a bunch of dry/live fire drills but I'd like to see them prioritized for different levels of shooters, etc. Maybe different routines for typical B, A, M shooters?

There are many things that have been covered over and over again- not that they aren't important, but there are more details... if I think of more I'll post.

Ok... so what would you like to see in it? I promise no padding.

It depends on what you feel you could write about.

I still don't feel like there's a go-to book to hand to a new shooter to take him from novice to master, with an explanation of all the fundamentals, a training routine, and benchmarks along the way.

I also wouldn't mind anecdotes about lessons learned the hard way.

I really enjoy e-books, and would line up to buy yours Ben. My only complaint with them is when a diagram or a table/graph is added to a page it is too small to read. My suggestion would be that they have there own individual page.

I love E-Books. I have been doing so much more reading with E-Books than I ever did with paper. Maybe just the ease of purchase, slightly lower cost, and portability. Love the fact that if I get caught someplace with a delay, I can pull out my Phone, and pick up reading the book I was reading on my tablet.

Mark K

Ok... so what would you like to see in it? I promise no padding.

It depends on what you feel you could write about.

I still don't feel like there's a go-to book to hand to a new shooter to take him from novice to master, with an explanation of all the fundamentals, a training routine, and benchmarks along the way.

I also wouldn't mind anecdotes about lessons learned the hard way.

I agree with Matt. A structured training program with benchmarks would be a great reference. For me, that alone would be worth the price of an e-book.

Everyone seems to have a bunch of dry/live fire drills but I'd like to see them prioritized for different levels of shooters, etc. Maybe different routines for typical B, A, M shooters?

That's kinda what I'm thinking. You could pick out a couple of classifiers and break down the splits that the average B, A, M shooters see. That would give a really good metric for people looking to advance their skill but not knowing where to start. We all know that the best way to get better is to practice what sucks, but with a B class shooter it's hard to know which skill sucks the most.

A 'breaking the plateau' book is I think what a lot of shooters are looking for...

If you want some help at the Iowa Sectional to gather some shooter statistics I'm sure I could convince the crew to help you with your research.

Here is a quick example on CM99-24(pdf) and what I expect to run as a B shooter.

First string, hands above shoulders facing up range, turn draw 1.5+.3+.5+.3+.5+.3

Second string facing down range hands at sides 1.2+.3+.5+.3+.5+.3

assuming I get all A's that is 60/6.6 = 9.0909 HF and that comes to a 79.66... :roflol: I'm probably not going to get all A's...

But any ways, you can see my point. To get better, where do I need practice? Transitions? Second shot? Draw? There was no mag change but I'm pretty sure that's what's holding back...

Edited by PistoleroJesse

Yes, we want an all encompassing book that will take you from beginner to GM - with pictures, video and text and no fluff for $10.

Instead, how about a "Shooting My Way" type of book like Jack and Tiger did with golf. I'd like to see this from several well know shooters. With lots of video of course.

Edited by Jerome

Ben,

I think eBooks should take advantage of multi-media not just be page turners.

I think embedded videos would reduce padding and make it more useful...

This is a lot like your website already. :D There are sections that are easily navigated and the file structure is pretty horizontal. I like it a lot. I'd buy your eBook if it was structured like your website!

What I would like to see:

• Lots of applied technique examples with video would be nice.
  • Examples of how to diagnose and measure improvement.

DNH

Edited by daves_not_here

I sure hope the other author is good. You don't seem to be very competent.

Good luck in your endeavor.

Let us just say the other guy brings a different perspective to the whole operation. I am going to keep his name out of it until it is finished though.

Make it great, no matter how long it takes. There’s no such thing as too many drafts. There’s no such thing as too much time spent. As you well know, a great book can last forever. A great book can change a person’s life. A mediocre book is just commerce.

Be personal as if you are talking to us. Be candid but straight forward...as most importantly - Be humble...

The DVD I like the most is the 3GM one with the perspective of 3 different shooters. Somethings are the same but some are different.

Let us just say the other guy brings a different perspective to the whole operation. I am going to keep his name out of it until it is finished though.